Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Apr 2020, 07:21 (Ref:3968707)   #326
smithhehehaha
Racer

smithhehehaha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
A world cup for TCR sounds a brilliant idea, in fact I think something similar has been done before
You mean TCR International Series? Or the former FIA World Touring Car Cup in the 1990s?
Old 5 Apr 2020, 07:42 (Ref:3968709)   #327
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I mean the touring car world cup of the 90s
Old 5 Apr 2020, 08:58 (Ref:3968720)   #328
smithhehehaha
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
I mean the touring car world cup of the 90s
Using the example of pre-2019 Macau F3 World Cup race, that attracts different regional F3 champions to come to challenge "the best of the best", which marks the most important race in F3. But not the same since 2019.

But what track is the most suitable to held this race if we want to plan to organise this one? Macau? Pau? Or others?
Old 5 Apr 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3968737)   #329
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So much choice of circuits around the world, that’s the problem.
Old 5 Apr 2020, 10:17 (Ref:3968738)   #330
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
TR4racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhehehaha View Post
But what track is the most suitable to held this race if we want to plan to organise this one? Macau? Pau? Or others?
I think that you would want a technical track that allows for overtaking, Macua is not that track. It also wants to be one where as many fans can go to watch (if the Covid-19 issue is over).

I personally would love it to be at Bathurst as I think that would be spectacular but there are lots of other contenders like Sepang, Hungaroring, Monza, Watkins Glen, etc., etc.
Old 5 Apr 2020, 12:17 (Ref:3968759)   #331
smithhehehaha
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4racer View Post
I think that you would want a technical track that allows for overtaking, Macua is not that track. It also wants to be one where as many fans can go to watch (if the Covid-19 issue is over).

I personally would love it to be at Bathurst as I think that would be spectacular but there are lots of other contenders like Sepang, Hungaroring, Monza, Watkins Glen, etc., etc.
I prefer a balance between attack and defense, besides overtaking skills, defending skills is also important for racing drivers, too.
Old 6 Apr 2020, 09:59 (Ref:3968874)   #332
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithhehehaha View Post
Using the example of pre-2019 Macau F3 World Cup race, that attracts different regional F3 champions to come to challenge "the best of the best", which marks the most important race in F3. But not the same since 2019.

Excellent idea. Macau's Circuito da Guia would fit the idea perfectly. You'd need a track for men!
Old 7 Apr 2020, 04:36 (Ref:3969046)   #333
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juntos View Post
Excellent idea. Macau's Circuito da Guia would fit the idea perfectly. You'd need a track for men!
Track for men? What does that actually mean? Macau has little or no opportunity for overtaking and is a bore fest.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 09:37 (Ref:3969079)   #334
S griffin
Veteran

It's a challenge though and the front stretch does allow overtaking to happen. Of course the Tin Top race there has been going on a long time, so I think it's important we keep tradition of going there. Seeing cars go between the walls is a spectacle in itself
Old 7 Apr 2020, 15:34 (Ref:3969141)   #335
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Alessio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Track for men? What does that actually mean? Macau has little or no opportunity for overtaking and is a bore fest.
Plus I reckon the likes of Jessica Backmann or Michela Cerruti would definitely handle the track better than the rest of us “men”
Old 7 Apr 2020, 19:41 (Ref:3969177)   #336
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Let me explain you. Do you know what is a Tilke's track? Macau is the opposite.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 22:49 (Ref:3969205)   #337
tobyobi
Rookie

tobyobi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Let me explain you. Do you know what is a Tilke's track? Macau is the opposite.
So a Tilke track is one with overtaking opportunities and doesn't tend to destroy the entire field due to a single mistake?
Old 8 Apr 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3969257)   #338
S griffin
Veteran

Tilke's circuits also can be very bland. Macau isn't the worst circuit in the world. OK it's the only circuit with a hairpin so tight they need a permanent yellow flag, but it's also got a front stretch which allows overtaking to happen
Old 8 Apr 2020, 09:20 (Ref:3969271)   #339
Juntos
Veteran

Juntos is a back marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyobi View Post
So a Tilke track is one with overtaking opportunities and doesn't tend to destroy the entire field due to a single mistake?
Wrong answer. And you know it. Some people are in such utter darkness that they will burn you just to see a light. Try not to take it personally.
Old 8 Apr 2020, 09:34 (Ref:3969272)   #340
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I've read a couple of responses, but still not understanding why so will ask again.

What makes something a 'track for men'?
Old 8 Apr 2020, 09:43 (Ref:3969275)   #341
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessio View Post
Plus I reckon the likes of Jessica Backmann or Michela Cerruti would definitely handle the track better than the rest of us “men”
I believe that Jessica's coach is Josh Files and he rates her highly especially on tight, technical circuits. A very good driver and would go well at Macau.

I still do not rate Macau personally but I do not rate Monaco either for the same reasons. Both are great social events though having been to both many times.
Old 8 Apr 2020, 12:47 (Ref:3969314)   #342
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
I do see what Juntos means, a track like Macau requires a fearless and faultless driver but a term like “a track for men” is a bit old money nowadays. Macau has been a long-term favourite of mine, especially as a season finale because it does usually create a spectacle or controversy in some way (usually heartbreaking as an Alfa fan between 2005 & 2007) but modern racing cars seem to have outgrown it in the last 10 years or so.
Old 8 Apr 2020, 22:27 (Ref:3969458)   #343
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I believe that Jessica's coach is Josh Files and he rates her highly especially on tight, technical circuits. A very good driver and would go well at Macau.

I still do not rate Macau personally but I do not rate Monaco either for the same reasons. Both are great social events though having been to both many times.
Her coach might rate her highly but from my viewing point i think the panel beaters rate her the most highly!
Old 9 Apr 2020, 05:10 (Ref:3969500)   #344
TR4racer
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Her coach might rate her highly but from my viewing point i think the panel beaters rate her the most highly!
You do not make omelettes without breaking a few eggs...

Every top driver has a history of crashes in the early stages of their career...it is part of their learning curve. look at Verstappen...even Tarquini still has his share of crashes...
Old 9 Apr 2020, 05:56 (Ref:3969514)   #345
Mark0994
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade
Mark0994 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
You do not make omelettes without breaking a few eggs...

Every top driver has a history of crashes in the early stages of their career...it is part of their learning curve. look at Verstappen...even Tarquini still has his share of crashes...
Tarquini has his share of crashes even now

BTW everyone will rate their students great in public, especially if they pay you, but in my opinion Jessica is mid tier driver at best, Andreas is much better then she is.

Also about tracks, i would love them to see on some short track like Donington national, or Nurburgring Sprint, maybe even Brands Hatch either Indy or GP.

I am not so sure about Sepang, Monza or Hungaroring. Hungaroring last year was interesting because there was rain, but if there is no rain, it becomes sleep fest. Also Monza races last year were so interesting. Race 1 Peugeot who has it's BoP so overpowered dominated, and Race 2 Files and Peugeot's dominated again.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 09:12 (Ref:3969541)   #346
S griffin
Veteran

They tried the Suzuka short circuit. Overtaking wasn't easy there, so shorter circuits don't always work
Old 9 Apr 2020, 11:38 (Ref:3969573)   #347
GusGasfuss
Racer

Germany
Ravensburg, Germany
GusGasfuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe the term was meant "Men not boys", and can include also woman/ladies). Maybe nowadays "Adults not childs", but sound much more weired...

In general i would rather say, that the problem of WTCR are not the circuits - its the money you need! And maybe that it is not that simple anymore due to the expensive developments you need to get on top...

Volkswagen & Audi moved out due to the rising budgets they need to keep in touch with Hyundai, Honda & Lynk. Maybe they realised, their cars are too "first generation" against the others....

And without manufacturer backing you can't pay a high-rated driver, so another downside of the system.
And if you make a rule "no paid professional drivers" it will be very dull to see only "no-name-talents" or Gentleman drivers, which is not very interesting for spectators.

They want to see Muller vs. Tarquini vs. Priaulx vs. Michelisz etc.
Old 9 Apr 2020, 11:51 (Ref:3969575)   #348
S griffin
Veteran

At least the series saw sense and went for the TCR rules. The TC1 regulations were not doing the championship any favours
Old 10 Apr 2020, 10:03 (Ref:3969742)   #349
Alessio
Racer

Italy
London
Eurosport and Citroen didn’t do TC1 any favours from the start in all fairness
Old 10 Apr 2020, 10:22 (Ref:3969747)   #350
S griffin
Veteran

It didn’t help though that the cars were so highly developed, overtaking became harder, which isn’t how it should be