Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 16 Mar 2020, 10:28 (Ref:3964479)   #1
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Perth WA (south of the river)
Sandgroper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Barbagallo Upgrade.

Hmmmm this has been quiet but on someones agenda.

Personally I would love a street circuit in Perth but done think living in the "nanny state" that this will happen at any stage in the future.

Im not so sure about more investment into this old circuit.

https://www.speedcafe.com/2020/03/16...-consultation/
Old 16 Mar 2020, 12:11 (Ref:3964509)   #2
djr81
Racer

djr81 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hah a street circuit would be the worst possible outcome. Be far better to bring the WRC back.

Just hope politics and ego don’t get in the way like every other time. The extended track at Collie is brilliant fun so Wanneroo has some catching up to do. There again you don’t get much for $183 million these days, now do you? Wanneroo’s main problem (Apart from the stupid pits location inside the circuit) is there isnt enough of it.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 12:43 (Ref:3964524)   #3
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by djr81 View Post
Hah a street circuit would be the worst possible outcome. Be far better to bring the WRC back.

Just hope politics and ego don’t get in the way like every other time. The extended track at Collie is brilliant fun so Wanneroo has some catching up to do. There again you don’t get much for $183 million these days, now do you? Wanneroo’s main problem (Apart from the stupid pits location inside the circuit) is there isnt enough of it.
I understand the street circuit would be "Unfinancial" situation but why would be the worst.

WRC how boring, how much did that provide to the state?

Who's ego are you referring?

Sorry Collie is not a suitable venue for mine.

Agreed the Pits was the worst decision ever made and the confusing long pit entry that was never used. That was a whole massive waste of money
Old 16 Mar 2020, 22:05 (Ref:3964715)   #4
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
JAFA851 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Street circuits are "the worst" for the people that live in the area and pay for it ( they're almost always tax-payer funded via the local Government "supporting the event" ) because they don't get to race on it for the other 353 days of the year.
Old 16 Mar 2020, 22:10 (Ref:3964718)   #5
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandgroper View Post

Agreed the Pits was the worst decision ever made and the confusing long pit entry that was never used. That was a whole massive waste of money
Couldn't agree more. It was a massive knee-jerk reaction to Supercars' demands, very short-sighted, and not in the best interested of anyone but Supercars.

As the pit buildings are all precast concrete tilt-slabs, could they be unbolted and moved to a more suitable location outside the track and rebuilt? Then rip up the concrete and tarmac and put the infield back to grass like it was.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 00:26 (Ref:3964745)   #6
djr81
Racer

Quote:
I understand the street circuit would be "Unfinancial" situation but why would be the worst.
Because it costs a great deal of money and the motorsport community as a whole gains little to nothing from it. Invariably the racing is dull, spectating is rubbish, cars get torn up and everyone/everything gets disrupted. All for no lasting benefit.

Quote:
WRC how boring, how much did that provide to the state?
More than, oh I dunno, the Canberra street race did for the ACT for example.

Quote:
Who's ego are you referring?
Reference to the last upgrade proposal at Wanneroo and the ensuing shitfight at the WASCC.

Quote:
Sorry Collie is not a suitable venue for mine.
I didnt say it was a venue for the touring cars, simply that as a track it is far more enjoyable to drive than Wanneroo.
Old 17 Mar 2020, 00:40 (Ref:3964747)   #7
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAFA851 View Post
Street circuits are "the worst" for the people that live in the area and pay for it ( they're almost always tax-payer funded via the local Government "supporting the event" ) because they don't get to race on it for the other 353 days of the year.
Doesnt do anything for motorsport below the top level.
Its an event.

After 50 years Wanneroo has done its job, but having been there day one, starting again is a daunting task.
Old 1 Apr 2020, 02:55 (Ref:3967950)   #8
djr81
Racer

Well the proposed layout is, um, out. Hard to tell without contours but for my ten cents worth it would work better as a clockwise circuit than the way it has been done.

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercar...o-map/4773816/
Old 1 Apr 2020, 11:54 (Ref:3968018)   #9
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Well the proposed layout is, um, out. Hard to tell without contours but for my ten cents worth it would work better as a clockwise circuit than the way it has been done.

https://au.motorsport.com/v8supercar...o-map/4773816/
Yep I like it but seems strange that this would happen with housing slowly encroaching. Fingers crossed it does !
Old 2 Apr 2020, 02:23 (Ref:3968156)   #10
djr81
Racer

Quote:
Yep I like it but seems strange that this would happen with housing slowly encroaching. Fingers crossed it does !
You can say that for anywhere along the coast from Albany to Geraldton. If people are stupid enough to want to build a house near a racetrack and a waste facility then they should not complain.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 07:36 (Ref:3968165)   #11
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But they are, and they do, and the authorities impose restrictions on the racetracks, and eventually they close.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 09:26 (Ref:3968179)   #12
JAFA851
Veteran

New Zealand
Quote:
You can say that for anywhere along the coast from Albany to Geraldton. If people are stupid enough to want to build a house near a racetrack and a waste facility then they should not complain.
The Government and Shire / Council have a lot to answer for here. They are the ones who give approval for developments, whether it's a race track, housing, or a shopping centre. They also don't decide overnight, "lets build some houses here". The housing estates and shopping centres and other major infrastructure ( schools etc ) are planned years, often decades, in advance. So for them to give approval for a racetrack to be built where they know they want to build houses in xx years time, they should be held to account for their decision making. Property developers don't care how close to the track it is or the noise, because they only want to flog the houses and make a fortune, and as long as people keep buying houses that have been built in idiotic location without thinking about what is in the local proximity, nothing will change. If people where smart enough to not buy houses next the the race track / airport / motorway / whatever, then just maybe after a few totally failed estates the developers and local council might finally learn the lesson. As long as the developers and the council are making money, it will only change if people force them to, by not buying their houses in stupid locations. There is no excuse, and no need to build houses right next to the race track, there's 3000km of empty land to the east of Perth, and a good 1000km north and south, so it's not they are confined by limited amount of land.
Old 2 Apr 2020, 12:15 (Ref:3968202)   #13
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
COVID 19 might stop all of this investment/expenditure
Old 7 Apr 2020, 21:53 (Ref:3969198)   #14
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The biggest problem for Barbagallo is the one road in/out.

Same with The Bend, QR & Phillip Island.

Winton was a similar problem until they got the traffic management plan right and added an extra multi lane exit and point different exits in different direction and it certainly helped get the peak exit over and done with a lot quicker.
Old 7 Apr 2020, 23:26 (Ref:3969209)   #15
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post

Winton was a similar problem until they got the traffic management plan right and added an extra multi lane exit and point different exits in different direction and it certainly helped get the peak exit over and done with a lot quicker.
and over/under passes for the Ho Hum Highway...
Old 8 Apr 2020, 00:10 (Ref:3969217)   #16
djr81
Racer

Quote:

Well Im guessing you have been around long enough to remember when you parked near the circuit after they checked your tickets at the outer gates. Then you'd spend over an hour getting back to Wanneroo road and some semblance of trafiic flow. Compared to that everything now works brilliantly.
Old 13 Apr 2020, 02:37 (Ref:3970468)   #17
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
and over/under passes for the Ho Hum Highway...
I have never tried to get out at the end of racing as I'm usually packing stuff up for a couple of hours but I can only imagine what it would be like if you still had to drive through Benalla or Glenrowan & Wangaratta or if the Hume was still only a 2 lane highway.

Some of the old timers have mentioned the now 2 hour drive to Melbourne was more like 3 hours in Sunday night Melbourne bound traffic.

Only Euroa, Benalla & Wangaratta had not yet been bypassed when I started to play at Winton back in '85.

Quote:
Well Im guessing you have been around long enough to remember when you parked near the circuit after they checked your tickets at the outer gates. Then you'd spend over an hour getting back to Wanneroo road and some semblance of trafiic flow. Compared to that everything now works brilliantly.
I've only been over to Barbagallo a couple of times for Superbike events and as with Winton packing up so not trying to escape in peak traffic.
Old 22 Jun 2020, 13:42 (Ref:3983229)   #18
Sandgroper
Veteran

Australia
In the news today:

https://www.perthnow.com.au/communit...eway-c-1112745

and links

https://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/consu...ay-master-plan

https://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/consu...1849bd6f4e.pdf

https://www.wanneroo.wa.gov.au/consu...17f66e43a2.pdf
Old 23 Jun 2020, 00:49 (Ref:3983293)   #19
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Only Euroa, Benalla & Wangaratta had not yet been bypassed when I started to play at Winton back in '85.
Also, the Ho Hum Hwy now pathetically drops to 80 Km/Hr (Highway #1 mind you!) past a the fuel outlet just south of Wodonga...I wonder how much money changed hands to make that happen...a very dangerous situation where you sometimes step out in front of B Doubles who are not going to slow for anybody...then some, cause a tailback when they want to exit to Barnawatha Commercial Estate...
Old 23 Jun 2020, 00:57 (Ref:3983294)   #20
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4 View Post
Also, the Ho Hum Hwy now pathetically drops to 80 Km/Hr (Highway #1 mind you!) past a the fuel outlet just south of Wodonga...I wonder how much money changed hands to make that happen...a very dangerous situation where you sometimes step out in front of B Doubles who are not going to slow for anybody...then some, cause a tailback when they want to exit to Barnawatha Commercial Estate...
Try driving the truck when a car pulls out and does not speed up to clear the truck drivers safety margin and he then has to stand on the picks and maybe flat spots tyres which are not cheap to replace. Car drivers have far margin to play in than a B Double. I would rather have the ho hum highway than the two lane goat track that I was forced to drive on thank you very much.
Old 23 Jun 2020, 23:44 (Ref:3983475)   #21
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Try driving the truck when a car pulls out and does not speed up to clear the truck drivers safety margin and he then has to stand on the picks and maybe flat spots tyres which are not cheap to replace. Car drivers have far margin to play in than a B Double. I would rather have the ho hum highway than the two lane goat track that I was forced to drive on thank you very much.
Yep, no argument there...the appalling standard of driving is a worry (including some cowboys in trucks)...I was just highlighting the stupidity of dropping a National Highway speed limit to cause a choke point for dubious reasons...
Old 25 Jun 2020, 03:24 (Ref:3983703)   #22
Mr X
Rookie

Mr X should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The state government is quite clear in the report it will not allow the WASCC to control the additional land, nor will it give it money to build a track.

File it with high speed rail as another waste of money consultants report