Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Closed Thread

Old 8 Jun 2004, 19:32 (Ref:997670)   #6051
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Fish_Flake
I've always thought that it was too bad Mugello had to be in Italy. It should be one of those classic racing circuits in Europe, but it will never see any sort of major car race because of Monza and Imola. Luckily, its place in history is secured because of the fantastic MotoGP races held there, but it still only has a fraction of the prestige it deserves.
Yeah, it was a great MotoGp race on Sunday
4 riders battling for the lead, Gibernao and Rossi side-by-side in every corner practically, and what an accident from Nakano!
Old 8 Jun 2004, 20:22 (Ref:997733)   #6052
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Lustigson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally missed that, Pirenzo. What happened to Nakano?
Old 8 Jun 2004, 21:14 (Ref:997782)   #6053
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nakano had a huge shunt on the pit straight. It looked like the bike just came out from under him as he reached the crest of the straightaway. It sure looked nasty; Nakano was thrown off his bike like a rag doll. The strangest thing was, it didn't even appear to me that he was in the braking zone for turn 1, so I don't think he lost control of it trying to slow down.

As for any possible modifications to the Mugello circuit itself, there's really nothing I would change. I may reconfigure the Correntaio/Biondetti complex, but that would only be to make room for a larger main grandstand.

Last edited by Fish_Flake; 8 Jun 2004 at 21:17.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:06 (Ref:997833)   #6054
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Apparently he had a tire failure.
He was going 300kph at the time...
Can't find a pic but the bike just snapped sideways and threw Shinya off, with the bike cartwheeling off the right hand side of the track, while Nakano himself was lucky to miss the solid concrete wall on the inside. Very frightening accident, you could hear the commentators voices trembling with fear until they announced "Nakano Update: Rider concious in medical centre. No serious injuries" In fact he's got asome contusions whatever they are (sprain?) and a lot of nasty bruising but he'll ride next time out I think. I really thought he was probably in rather a bad way...

Last edited by pirenzo; 8 Jun 2004 at 22:08.
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:24 (Ref:997859)   #6055
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Well, if you go to ww.motogp.com and go to the news section and find the story there's a video there but you have to pay for it
There is a tiny thumbnail too...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:27 (Ref:997863)   #6056
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
crozier74 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I hope you know that main straight is as long as Bahrain's
The bikes do 350kph down there, imagine what the F1 cars would do!
Nah, I think the MotoGP bikes are actually faster on the straights than the F1 cars. I heard the commentators mentioning figures of 215mph for the MotoGPs @ Mugello, I don't think F1 top those figures on any circuit on the modern F1 calender - nearest is Indy at about 210mph. This is cos of 2 things:

1) better power-weight ratio
2) better aerodynamics/less drag, due to smaller area having to be pushed through the air, and none of this wings/downforce ****e that F1's got nowadays

Totally agreed with Fish and Shiny here. Mugello is IMO the best track in Italy atm. Real drivers track, hilly, natural, flowing, totally anti-Tilke It's indeed a shame that it hasn't been a regular scene of major international motorsport. Hopefully with the supposed slipping away of Imola, it'll maybe finally get it's big break. Sorry guys, but I don't really prefer either of those edits. It's not that they're bad, it's just that Mugello's one of those circuits that's really difficult to edit and make a definite improvement, kinda like Interlagos. Most changes just lose some of the character of it. I'd stick with the original. Nice interpretations though

That MotoGP race was a cracker for sure! Perhaps not as brilliant as that fantastic double-header weekend we had a while back, with Rossi taking his historical first win for Yamaha @ Welkom, and Chili with that AWESOME ride from 11s down to win @ Misano, but certainly bloody good. Felt really sorry for Tamada when he broke down, was a fantastic ride. Shame they had to ruin what was turning into a fantastic race by stopping it and running it over 6 laps, I think if the first race had gone to the end it would have been a much closer and better finish

Lustig, try this. The Nakano interview and MotoGP race highlights might be of particular use.

-EDIT: Forget that last bit. P beat me to it : Yeah, unfortunately he's right, it is pay-per-view Can't find any images of the accident either unfortunately. Maybe you can try a bit of searching yourself, it's getting late and I ain't had much sleep recently, so generally I can't be assed doing a thorough search -

Last edited by crozier74; 8 Jun 2004 at 22:35.
So I ride out to the old sundown
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:32 (Ref:997869)   #6057
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Monza and Indy last year the fastest guys topped 227mph Richard...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:34 (Ref:997871)   #6058
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
The scary thing is when the Americans average that speed on their ovals.
I heard a few years ago they were topping 250mph on the straights and coming back down to 230 for the corners at one track for average speeds of 240
Old 8 Jun 2004, 22:44 (Ref:997879)   #6059
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
227 mph? :confused: Oh aye, now I think of it, so they were! I'm getting forgetful with this tiredness. Methinks I need to get to bed now...

Yeah, speeds on ovals are pretty awesome, but then again that's exactly what makes American oval motorsport so different and extreme to our European road racing culture Am I right when I say that the closed course speed record is something like 241 mph by Gil de Ferran @ Fontana Actually, isn't that debateable? I mean, everything taken into consideration, don't testing circuits count as "closed courses" too? So isn't the Bugatti Veyron at Millbrook or wherever the holder of that record, cos I'm sure it could probably hold 250 mph round a lap...
Old 8 Jun 2004, 23:06 (Ref:997898)   #6060
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I think they were talking in racing terms...
Old 9 Jun 2004, 03:57 (Ref:998014)   #6061
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
One of the Penske cars did a lap in the 241-mph bracket at Fontana. Arie Ly, heck I can't spell his name, did an unofficail lap of Indy in the 2390mph bracket. In 1979, a Mercedes did a lap of Nardo at 250.9 or 250.5-mph, can't remember exactly though.

Pirenzo, for some reason, your edit on that link didn't register at all. I saw the lap data, (lap length, number of corners) but there was no sign of an image.

That MotoGP accident sounds nasty, without the pictures even.

Last edited by Purist; 9 Jun 2004 at 03:59.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 05:31 (Ref:998039)   #6062
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Luyendyk, Purist?

Don't know if I got it right either, but oh well
Old 9 Jun 2004, 06:56 (Ref:998079)   #6063
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
It's Luyendijk.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 11:39 (Ref:998320)   #6064
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I stumbled across good old Oulton Park, today... and did a revamp of the track. I'm not sure how long the track is and if it would be suitable for Formula 1... but, hey, who cares!
Attached Thumbnails
oulton park.gif  
Old 9 Jun 2004, 11:41 (Ref:998322)   #6065
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
I must say I loved the track in TOCA Touring Cars 2!
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:15 (Ref:998485)   #6066
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
The current layout is about 2.78-miles Lustig. Without the chicanes, it is 2.761-miles around. I think you squared it up too much. Lodge as it is should be tight enough to allow a decent shot at passing. It may be difficult to stick with the guy in front through those sweepers, but I'm sure it's very rewarding to negotiate them successfully, and who knows, it may not be too hard to stay on the guy's tail and get him into Knickerbrook or Druids, on the original.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:25 (Ref:998503)   #6067
Alonsomania
Rookie

Alonsomania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
nice tracks guys

be warned: i'm showing my tracks thingies

btw: me is also a GeneRally-er,just like SpeedFreak
if anyone want to know about the game,just ask!
Old 9 Jun 2004, 14:42 (Ref:998522)   #6068
Lustigson
Veteran

Netherlands
Huizen
Well, it DID look a bit square. I changed Lodge and Deer Leap back to their original form.
Attached Thumbnails
oulton park.gif  
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:15 (Ref:998551)   #6069
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
It's nice
But I prefer the current one. I'm not really into altering club tracks, its not neccessary. Club racings about good challenging corners, not creating passing spots per se.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 15:18 (Ref:998554)   #6070
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
And yeah, Luyendijk, not Luyendyk. Apparently its spelt with the y instead of the ij because its easier to spell that way according to Lustig at least..
Old 9 Jun 2004, 18:41 (Ref:998832)   #6071
crozier74
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Second one's better than the first Lustig

Foulston's actually an OK chicane - quite challenging and fun. Difficult sweeping entry, then uphill and straightlining the two apexes. But missing it out might ease up the circuit I guess. It's good either way

Hmm, Hizzys... OK, again it's a chicane, and it's not as good a corner as Foulstons, but definitely better than the old Knickerbrook since it was made more flowing. It's a good passing spot as it is, and the third apex is challenging, particularly with the long fast run after it. Not sure your new combo would be a definite improvement.

The changes to Druids (single apex and optional chicane) are just blasphemy IMO

Oulton's definitely one of the best circuits in the UK. I say leave it as it is. *Christ, I'm saying that a hell of a lot now - am I getting old? *
Old 9 Jun 2004, 19:33 (Ref:998905)   #6072
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
It's very much a historic circuit.
In the UK you have Silverstone which is for F1, then Donington and Rockingham are next most developed, then Brands (which would be up with Don and Rock but we're spoilt at brands with the relative lack of debris fencing so the viewing is exceptionally good. Everybody started moaning when they put up taller fencing for the Champ Cars lol) then there's all the other circuits which simply aren't proper intn'l venues. I'm talking about Oulton, Cadwell, Knockhill, Thruxton and Croft.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 21:04 (Ref:999009)   #6073
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You're lucky no club racers frequent this forum, P, or else someone would surely berate you for failing to acknowledge the likes of Snetterton, Castle Combe, and Mallory.
Old 9 Jun 2004, 21:14 (Ref:999019)   #6074
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
I wasn't gonna sit there listing them all for gawds sake!

There are others too, Mondello Park in Ireland, I guess you could mention Lydden.
Old 10 Jun 2004, 15:22 (Ref:999751)   #6075
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Pirenzo, maybe you missed my post earlier, but your Mugello edit didn't show up at all for me. A page came up with basic track info, (lap length, number of corners) but there was no sign of an image on that page. Is there something I'm supposed to click on that I missed?

Last edited by Purist; 10 Jun 2004 at 15:23.