Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 4 Feb 2009, 09:11 (Ref:2387985)   #1
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Radio Le Mans

Murphy has just posted an update suggesting that RLM will be scaling back thier coverage for the 2009 seasons but was scetchy with details, does anyone else hacve any news?
Old 4 Feb 2009, 18:11 (Ref:2388325)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I think its just for the ALMS ?

Jesus .... I would seriously be ****ed off if this extends to Le Mans !!!

The ACO should step in here and guarantee their coverage of the 24 hours , considering how many English speaking people attend their race . I hope that doesnt sound arrogant ? Its not intended to be .
Old 4 Feb 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2388339)   #3
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Going to be a blow for the americanlemans.com/speedtv.com official streaming too... since RLM was used as a commentary track. If that (qualifications like last year) was planned for this season anyway.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 18:22 (Ref:2388340)   #4
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
I am hoping this is a vicious rumour - they way the deal with Motors was announced and the way it reads on RLM website I took it as a done deal. Surely it is commercial suicide to do away with the biggest link it has to many fans.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2388373)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
I hope it's not true.

BTW Why is this in the Le Mans forum?

Last edited by FIRE; 4 Feb 2009 at 19:11.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 19:15 (Ref:2388378)   #6
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
I can think of a lot of things that are worth cutting in the current economic climate, but one of the primary mechanisms by which they communicate with their fan base doesn't strike me as a logical one at all.

If they're still flying Hindy out every few weeks for the trackside coverage I also question how much they're realistically saving?
Old 4 Feb 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2388425)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
I hope it's not true.

BTW Why is this in the Le Mans forum?
Because it is relavant to Le Mans .

Just found this on another forum .

Statement from Radio Show Limited - 4th February 2009 - for immediate
release:

It seems there is some spectulation regarding the future of Radio Show
Limited and the broadcasts that it undertakes. The directors of RSL feel
that this kind of speculation is unhelpful and would like to clarify the
current situation by making a statement.

The broadcast from Le Mans is planned to go ahead - we are the rightsholders
as appointed by the ACO and IMG Media. We have already re-signed Audi UK as
one of our sponsors and although we are aware of the difficult financial
situation, we feel confident that Radio Le Mans, with the huge global
audience, (over 1.92 million visitors in 2008), will continue to attract
sponsors who are looking for value and exposure to a very important,
influential and affluent audience.

Our LMS broadcasts last year were done very much on a 'proving the concept'
basis. Sadly the beginning of the economic downturn claimed Embassy Racing,
our principal sponsor of the Le Mans Series coverage. That was last year and
we have been working hard to replace that investment. As there is unlikely
to be full live TV coverage of LMS this year, RSL believes that the live,
trackside coverage that it produces will attract even larger audiences than
2008 and that it provides an attractive proposition for sponsors both in and
outside of the Le Mans Series. We are hopeful that we will be able to make a
positive announcement soon.

The ALMS is somewhat different to our other broadcasts in that the Series
has, almost since its inception at the first Petit Le Mans in1998, always
been responsible for the logistics of what we now know as the ALMS Radio
Network. The situation is slightly confused by RSL's John Hindhaugh being
the lead presenter and commentator for the service, as he has been since the
very start. This is a situation that pre-dates radio Show Limited being
involved, as it was only in 2007 that RSL were contracted to provide some
technical and streaming services for the ALMS. Given the above, it would not
be right or proper for Radio Show Limited to comment on the status of ALMS
Radio for 2009 and any such questions should be directed to the Series.

Since 2006, when Radio Show Limited was formed to ensure the continuation of
Radio Le Mans, RSL has expanded the number, quality and accessibility of
it's broadcasts. Through the portal of http://www.radiolemans.com over 250,000
fans per month access the latest sportscar news, the biggest sportscar audio
archive on the Internet and of course live programming from major events. We
acknowledge that all business and especially the automotive and motorsport
sectors are examining spending, but at RSL we are certain that "share of
voice" is crucial to companies who want to be in the best position to hold
and increase their share of market. In that regard RSL ,and the broadcasts
it undertakes, represent an excellent way of underlining to customers and
prospects, that your business is healthy. RSL are working to expand our
portfolio of events to ensure that we can provide the widest range of
opportunties for our sponsors.

The efficient, no waste solutions that Radio Show Limited provides is even
more relevant in the current climate. The RSL mantra remains "we don't
broadcast, we narrowcast".

Radio Show Limited - we talk to the world
Old 4 Feb 2009, 20:18 (Ref:2388426)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
edit The Badger beat me too it...

Last edited by rdjones; 4 Feb 2009 at 20:20.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2388489)   #9
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Gentlemen - Anybody putting two and two together and getting an answer anywhere close to no Radio Le Mans is VERY far off beam as the statement above makes clear.

It is a huge shame that John and co have found themselves put in a position where they felt the need to have to make this clear in this manner.

Entirely unamused
Old 4 Feb 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2388530)   #10
The Badger
Veteran

This is good news indeed . This is the 2nd time today that this has happened to me . We just got told that the local news reported that they will close the airline which I work for . While the situation isnt very clear , its also not that bad .

Sometimes I wish that folk who put out rumours like that would just shut the .... up . Cuz they dont realise how much panic and concern that they cause while they sleep in their nice warm beds .

Theres words for people like that , but I would only get another warning !!! ..... Might be worth it though , if that person was reading this forum .
Old 4 Feb 2009, 23:11 (Ref:2388561)   #11
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin
..... have found themselves put in a position where they felt the need to have to make this clear in this manner.

Entirely unamused
seconded

....not the first time rumours and idle gossip have caused problems
Old 5 Feb 2009, 08:21 (Ref:2388722)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
The RLS statement certainly leaves questions over the coverage of ALMS which was what Murphy comments referred to and doesnt in any way confirm that that is still safe.

Quote:
it would not be right or proper for Radio Show Limited to comment on the status of ALMS Radio for 2009 and any such questions should be directed to the Series
It also leaves a serious question over LMS TV coverage in its statement

Quote:
As there is unlikely to be full live TV coverage of LMS this year
Old 5 Feb 2009, 08:27 (Ref:2388725)   #13
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Veering off topic, but
Quote:
no comment on ALMS
sounds like
Quote:
we don't have a (concrete) deal
which is at odds with last years
Quote:
Motors TV will use RLM for their audio
announcement.

As far as
Quote:
unlikely to be full live TV coverage of LMS
it sounds bad at first, but when has there ever been FULL LIVE coverage of LMS? (they always have to go away for DTM or BMX bandits during at least 1 race).
Old 5 Feb 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2388726)   #14
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
As there is unlikely to be full live TV coverage of LMS this year
That to me would suggest partial live coverage, or delayed and/or edited footage. Not exactly ideal for us enthusiasts but hardly the end of the world. I think broadcasters are being careful with their spending, too. We'll all be putting up with some miserable compromises this year.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2388728)   #15
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Well it still says this on the RLM website regarding 2009 ALMS season:

Quote:
Since the very first Petit Le Mans, over a decade ago, the American Le Mans Radio Network, from the team behind Radio Le Mans, has provided live commentary of every race.

That's a service which continues this season, and it gets better all the time, as we provide more programming and a full listen on demand service.
So I will optimistically beleive this until something more concrete is said.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 08:38 (Ref:2388734)   #16
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
As far as it sounds bad at first, but when has there ever been FULL LIVE coverage of LMS? (they always have to go away for DTM or BMX bandits during at least 1 race).
I hadnt thought of it like that - lets hope your right.

It seems ironic that people are crying foul for the interpretation of the Murphy blog and yet the statement to counteract it is worded in such a way as it kicks off a new bout of rumour and gossip on a totally different subject.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 09:12 (Ref:2388757)   #17
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I did not wish to cause panic or start romours but surely that is what this forum is all about, you get some information from one source and then if it seems unclear you post an entry asking questions and hopefully starting discussions.

Like everyone else I listen to RLM not just at Le Mans but for any other races that I will not be attending, the replies have been in the most part have been exactly what I expected and if support for RLM is helped I have no regret in starting this all off.
Old 8 Feb 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2391007)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
We all need to remember that several leading members of the RLM team are members here and read what is put up - and if they don't, there are other members who are in contact with them. Such is life - rumour and counter-rumour with occasionally a bit of truth just to balance things up a bit. I can entirely understand that hearing that something might not be as one expects would generate a post here and I can see no reason for anyone to be unhappy about it being posted as you did. If nothing else, it highlights just how vital to us all RLM is...... Let's just be a bit careful though before we start jumping to conclusions that an uncorroborated rumour might actually be fact and demanding that the ACO do something about it after two posts in the thread......

Last edited by Aysedasi; 8 Feb 2009 at 12:09.
Old 8 Feb 2009, 12:23 (Ref:2391013)   #19
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
I think it's fair to say that nobody should be contacting the ACO about anything whatsoever to do with this - There is NO problem with RLM and their Le Mans plans whatsoever.
Old 8 Feb 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2391018)   #20
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pleased to hear that. I clearly remember the dark days before RLM and then when it looked a bit shaky in the early 90's and the thought of returning to hourly updates over the tannoy!

I along with many others dipped into my own pocket and brought raffle tickets etc, (and won a pair of tickets to the Donnington Grp C Race) to keep the service going then and would do so again if needed.

It does read however that they are still looking for sponsors, at least for the LMS and I would guess Le Mans as well to join Audi. Not easy given the current climate.
Old 8 Feb 2009, 13:01 (Ref:2391034)   #21
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't help but think that this kind of confusion would be avoided if Murphy the Bear wrote in plain English rather than riddles all the time.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 May 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2461086)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK, humour me.

Who is Murphy the Bear?
Old 12 May 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2461129)   #23
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TWK ???

Ciao Marco
Old 12 May 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2461165)   #24
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
OK, humour me

Who's TWK?
Old 12 May 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2461225)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Sounds like a twonk to me...... (courtesy - Timothy Spall......)

This thread is losing me fast......