Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 May 2003, 04:36 (Ref:591907)   #1
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
BMW staying in F1 - but where?

Quote:
from grandprix.com
BMW has finally confirmed that it will stay in Formula 1 in 2005 and beyond and is also understood to have rejected the idea of building its own car but negotiations to extend the current deal with Williams are still going on with Sir Frank Williams and Dr. Mario Theissen spending many hours locked in meetings at the Spanish Grand Prix.

"We will continue beyond 2004 in F1," Theissen said. "This has been agreed already by the board. What we are now talking about is not if, but how, to continue. The ultimate goal is to be competitive, to get into a position to win the championship."

Williams is well aware of the weaknesses of its current package but the team continues to work to improve the car and strengthen its engineering staff.
Hmmm, staying in F1 - good news indeed.

Not building own car - moronic mistake averted.

But which team? Sticking with Williams seems to be the obvious choice, so what exactly are they 'negotiating'? Money? That does'nt make sence.

A performance clause or (lack of) exclusivity is more likely. Any ideas?
Old 7 May 2003, 05:20 (Ref:591912)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What they need is a chassis designer who can complement their engine. Where's Gustav Brunner these days?
Old 7 May 2003, 05:28 (Ref:591917)   #3
GTV27
Veteran

GTV27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
maybe the debate is about supply of engines to other teams - to put the pressure on Williams to produce a car that handles....if Mercedes and maybe BMW open up the engine supplies then maybe well get back to the halcyon days of 24 - 26 teams?
Old 7 May 2003, 08:48 (Ref:592065)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BMW won't be going anywhere as there is no other team on the grid with resources available for BMW to win consistently.

Williams have just designed a poor car. Once they finally do a good one, BMW won't be complaining!
Old 7 May 2003, 08:58 (Ref:592077)   #5
Gunslinger
Racer

Gunslinger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
get back to the halcyon days of 24 - 26 teams
That would be awesome.

Not building their onw chassis is indeed a mistake averted. BMW/Williams had a reputedly fine car last year, and when compared to the oppositon, it looked even better in 2001? Some of their misfortunes would be the old story of "bad luck mate". Looking quick at Paul Ricard, but Sir Willaims had bad luck there in 86.

BMW/Minardi would be great! but what about Honda? Or Renault and Judd even? Only Sir Frank know's his agenda (do you reckon he enjoys racing?) but personally i'd like to see a Honda planted in a improved chassis again. BMW are great, always will be.

Another plus is Montoya. As long as he stays with Williams. Be a bugger for the team to lose him to...Ferrari? Montoya is a future champ for sure.

Back to the topic, 2005 is only 2 years away, but there's gonna be a whole lotta changing going on. (did i type that?)
Old 7 May 2003, 09:02 (Ref:592082)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
so what exactly are they 'negotiating'? Money?
A big chunk of Williams shares no doubt,if your going to put that amount of money into a project you want some long term controlling interest in it.
Old 7 May 2003, 09:06 (Ref:592087)   #7
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz

Williams have just designed a poor car. Once they finally do a good one, BMW won't be complaining!
But BMW will want a good car soon, and that williams looks like it needs A LOT of work to make it fast enough, even with a BMW lump in the back.
Old 7 May 2003, 11:02 (Ref:592211)   #8
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
What they need is a chassis designer who can complement their engine. Where's Gustav Brunner these days?
Knocking around doing a terrible job at Toyota. I had really high hopes when he moved from Minardi...
Old 7 May 2003, 12:22 (Ref:592307)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW have repeatedly said that would have a very difficult time supplying other customer teams, and certainly they couldn't do it for the $10mil Bernie price benchmark... so if they keep only one team, and don't do the chassis themselves, Williams is the only top team for them to work with. I would expect that the negotiations are ongoing about how much control BMW is going to have over the Williams team and chassis design...
Old 7 May 2003, 12:42 (Ref:592326)   #10
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
BMW / Sauber ? that would be a good pairing any thing is better that williams
Old 7 May 2003, 17:17 (Ref:592586)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh... or maybe a BMW Jordan ?
Old 7 May 2003, 17:58 (Ref:592634)   #12
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by shiny side up!
BMW have repeatedly said that would have a very difficult time supplying other customer teams, and certainly they couldn't do it for the $10mil Bernie price benchmark...
That depends on what BMW expects. Are they expecting to supply engines on a loss, cost or profit basis. It seems Bernie wants the manufacturers to do it on a loss basis. Would $20M US be a fairer compromise. Could one argue the manufacturers should accept the losses they incur on customer engines to be part of the cost of F1 racing?

Alternatively, if manufacturers were forced to supply customer engines, would they take as much care in ensuring they run reliably?? Heck, it's not a Works team engine anyways? Would they suppply engines that break down constantly? Or would manufacturer pride keep them from supplying poor reliability engines?
Old 7 May 2003, 18:01 (Ref:592639)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Mark Webber
BMW / Sauber ? that would be a good pairing any thing is better that williams
If Sauber change from Ferrari, doesn't the strongest rumour at the moment indicate it will be for Mercedes?

It is clearly unlikely that a Sauber BMW would be better than a Williams BMW and I don't have a problem with Williams-BMW being partners (and I am no fan of BMW).

Last edited by Adam43; 7 May 2003 at 18:01.
Old 8 May 2003, 16:58 (Ref:593715)   #14
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As some have allready said-they're negotiating how much control they can get at williams for a variety of reasons.
Most importantly they NEED a better car!!!
But they would also like to have the kudos of being known for being responsable for that better car-i.e the name 'BMW williams'(in that order) comes to mind....
Old 8 May 2003, 17:14 (Ref:593730)   #15
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
I should think that 'BMW Williams' would go over fine. Frank and Patrick must know that the BMW engine is the class of the field, as surely as they must admit that their chassis is not on par with Ferrari, Renault, and McLaren. They had best keep BMW happy, or they'll end up with an inferior chassis AND engine in the future and end up in the lower half of the grid...
Old 8 May 2003, 17:52 (Ref:593793)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hows about BMW taking over Sauber to call it BMW á la Benetton/Renault?? In that sense, are they "building their own car" or not??

It's a rumour...
Old 8 May 2003, 18:00 (Ref:593808)   #17
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
Even if you don't call it 'building their own car', there is a pretty steep learning curve ahead for Sauber (or BMW...I'm so confused...) should that happen. They certainly don't have one of the better chassis right now, especially if the rumours that the entire rear end of that car is supplied by Ferrari are true... BMW would still be faced with a couple of years of results that are no better than what they're getting now...
Old 9 May 2003, 09:53 (Ref:594325)   #18
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps this could be the problem with the Williams chassis.

Look what it's made out of!

http://www.lego.com/eng/racers/willi.../teamracer.asp

Old 9 May 2003, 13:06 (Ref:594531)   #19
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm, better aero... more reliable, cheaper.

Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:11 (Ref:594538)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

They're improving !!!
Old 9 May 2003, 13:18 (Ref:594550)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clearly this is great engine, comaprable to the Ferrari and probably ahead of everything else including Mercedes, and is being wasted in the Williams, and has been for the last 3 years. It will be galling for the BMW top brass to see Mercedes at the front, especially as it's mroe down to McLaren and Kimi Raikkonen.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are several teams queuing to have works BMW engines. It'll be out of Minardi's price range, and probably Jordan's, and Sauber's chassis could be the worst out there, and is unlikely to be good advertising for them even if it would be an All-Germanic team.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:43 (Ref:594579)   #22
Tristan
Veteran

I'm not sure if it's a question of "buying" the BMW. It'll be free like it is to Willaims.
Old 10 May 2003, 00:04 (Ref:595011)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
So as Sir Frank and BMW "negotiate," Renault just goes out and performs.

Except for the odd eruption from Flav, you hear little from Renault as they move to the front of the grid. Meanwhile we hear lots from Williams as they soldier on bravely in a car that needs "developed."

I wonder...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 10 May 2003, 00:22 (Ref:595021)   #24
Tristan
Veteran

It's funny - if anything it's the Renault engine dept. that is the weak point of their team. The Benetton boys can build a chassis. At Williams it's the other way around - the engine's a beast yet the chassis this year especially looks like it's a constant battle. Conclusions??
Old 10 May 2003, 10:58 (Ref:595252)   #25
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So where do BMW go if not Williams, the other options in signing an agreement with another team or buying a team aren't good. They should stay with Williams