Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 25 Sep 2010, 21:26 (Ref:2764502)   #226
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
850kg without KERS, so with kers probably 900kg or so? That's the weight of current P2 cars or is it a bit heavier? I'm not too sure of all the regs and rules. I just know that I want P1's to be as fast as they were. If they're to make close to 600HP what would the KERS output be? I thought it'd be around 80HP for a certain amount of time. With a lower weight and KERS I guess the cars would be faster out of turns. Maybe even through them. I guess it depends on downforce and drag. I hope to see coupes though. I realize open cars might be a better option in some areas, but i think closed cars just look better. I wonder what this toyota engined car will be, coupe or open.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 00:12 (Ref:2764537)   #227
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
850kg without KERS, so with kers probably 900kg or so? That's the weight of current P2 cars or is it a bit heavier? I'm not too sure of all the regs and rules. I just know that I want P1's to be as fast as they were. If they're to make close to 600HP what would the KERS output be? I thought it'd be around 80HP for a certain amount of time. With a lower weight and KERS I guess the cars would be faster out of turns. Maybe even through them. I guess it depends on downforce and drag. I hope to see coupes though. I realize open cars might be a better option in some areas, but i think closed cars just look better. I wonder what this toyota engined car will be, coupe or open.
Although no announcement has been made by Rebellion yet, they have 4 Lola Coupes in their workshops from the past few years. I'm guessing they will stay a 2 car team and just fit the Toyota engine into the Lola Coupe. Lola usually helps out with any engineering modifications that need to be made to fit a given engine package. Since RML used the HPD this season, I'm guessing the install will be similar if the Toyota engine is similar in architecture.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 09:41 (Ref:2764626)   #228
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Could this be like the Mazda engined car in ALMS? Or is it just a toyota engine and no official backing? I know details are slim right now but I'd think Toyota wanna evaluate the results, see if there is any worth to it. I have heard for a long time that they've wanted to get back into LeMans. I guess maybe this is breaking the ice, sort of the way Aston did with the Lola's a few seasons ago?
Old 26 Sep 2010, 16:38 (Ref:2764923)   #229
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
We're not sure it's the Super GT engine, only that it's a 3.4 l V8 (just like that one), so unless it's based on another architecture, it might indeed be the Super GT engine. Nobody knows yet. Also, restrictor diameters are probably slightly different from Super GT to LMP.

New P1 engines? Probably anything from 530 to 570-580bhp. Official ACO target is around 550, with 400 being the intended power figure for LMP2.
We aren't sure, but it is probable. After all, that is exactly why Super GT switch over to the Formula Nippon engines; the manufacturers wanted to be able to use their engines in as many categories as possible, and the 3.4 is what would be compatible with le Mans rules.

The 3.4L V8 is quite capable of over 600hp in Formula Nippon trim, not sure what mileage they run though. In Super GT spec they have to run 4 race weekends (at about 500hp) if I'm not mistaken.
Old 26 Sep 2010, 17:34 (Ref:2764989)   #230
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
SuperGT runs with rev restrictor while LMP run air restrictor, so for sure they need a new mapping. SuperGT rev limit is similar to what Porsche claimed for the RS Spyder.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2765584)   #231
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great bit of news for Rebellion, just been having a rummage around looking for more info on this engine, so far have managed:

"Toyota RV8K - 600+ hp at 10,300 rpm (based on Toyota IRL engine block), 3.4 litre displacement, 10,700 rpm "overtake" rpm, claimed weight 120 kg."

and not much else!
Old 27 Sep 2010, 16:19 (Ref:2765593)   #232
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty View Post
Great bit of news for Rebellion, just been having a rummage around looking for more info on this engine, so far have managed:

"Toyota RV8K - 600+ hp at 10,300 rpm (based on Toyota IRL engine block), 3.4 litre displacement, 10,700 rpm "overtake" rpm, claimed weight 120 kg."

and not much else!
Thats a pretty high reving engine isn't it!?.
Will it last 24 hours with that.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 16:31 (Ref:2765599)   #233
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
Thats a pretty high reving engine isn't it!?.
Will it last 24 hours with that.
The '92 Le Mans review has an interview with Volker Weidler and he's talking about "protecting the engine" (a 3.5 Mazda-badged Judd V10) by upshifting at around 10.5k rpm... so I'd hazard a guess that it should last. Theoretically.

However... the power figure for the Toyota engine is with the Super GT air intakes, not with ACO-mandated air restrictors, so I believe that figure should be somewhat lower in reality.
Old 27 Sep 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2765664)   #234
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The non DFI RS Spyder did 10100 with air restrictor, so seems to be similar
Old 28 Sep 2010, 19:39 (Ref:2766253)   #235
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
If they're to make close to 600HP what would the KERS output be? I thought it'd be around 80HP for a certain amount of time.
If one looks at the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid with flywheel KERS,that generates a 160(!) HP when all it's power is released...
Expect some big improvements in the acceleration from corners area in future KERS LMP's. I hope that'll finally burn the diesels...

Welcome to 10tenths by the way. Allways good to run in to another Toyota fan!
Old 28 Sep 2010, 19:59 (Ref:2766267)   #236
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Problem is that the Audi R18 is alleged to be a KERS diesel! Surprised that Peugeot isn't allgedly investigating the diesel hybrid route.

KERS might be an equalizer, but what if diesels use it and it's not affordable to everyone?
Old 29 Sep 2010, 05:05 (Ref:2766423)   #237
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Problem is that the Audi R18 is alleged to be a KERS diesel! Surprised that Peugeot isn't allgedly investigating the diesel hybrid route.

KERS might be an equalizer, but what if diesels use it and it's not affordable to everyone?
Who says they aren't going to use KERS!?
All i've heard is that the new 90X will be a Hybrid, but if it's going to be a petrol or diesel, that is the question (for the Peugeot thread).

Also, KERS is going to be available for everybody who's interested in the technology. YGK hasn't recently announced that they would produce their own KERS unit. And if a university can make a KERS unit, well, then can all the major electronics/engine manufactures also, at an affordable price. (Remember that Zytek already is selling it's units)
Old 30 Sep 2010, 07:29 (Ref:2766985)   #238
TF110
Veteran

United States
That's some good news about the Toyota engine. 600+hp at 10300rpm. Sounds good. I wish they were able to use the LFA engine. Unfortunately they can't. I'm not sure if this is an optimistic claim or one of reality but the specs sound good. And since it's a F-Nippon/SuperGT engine, does anyone know what revs they run in those series?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 11:39 (Ref:2767084)   #239
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
FN;10,300rpm(overtake mode 10,700rpm)
SGT; no rev limit (air restrictor)
Old 30 Sep 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2767182)   #240
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Autosport Magazine (print) today says Toyota are looking at a GT2 attack on Le Mans. Likely to be based around customer cars and it has to be profitable according to their motorsport project General Manager. Obviously the Lexus LFA is an option.

Seems like there is a big motorsports meeting taking place this coming month at Toyota where they will decide for sure. The same article says they look like not bothering going rallying as they don't like the new engine regs.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 14:51 (Ref:2767194)   #241
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Toyota enters GTE you would have to think the Nissan GT-R will be adapted to these regs.

BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Panoz, Ford, Chevrolet, Spyker, Toyota, Nissan...........

Can't see Audi not joining that lot with a version of the R8.

I see there's also a possible Mclaren lin-up with Dave Prive and ex Mclaren F1 man Dave Ryan.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 15:04 (Ref:2767206)   #242
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
If Toyota enters GTE you would have to think the Nissan GT-R will be adapted to these regs.

BMW, Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Panoz, Ford, Chevrolet, Spyker, Toyota, Nissan...........
No, I would not. The GT-R is way outside the format of a GT-2 (E) when it comes to being able to run anything close to showroom. The Z car on the other hand could be made to conform to the rules.

L.P.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 16:58 (Ref:2767285)   #243
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The actual chassis appears more along the lines of GTE spec than old school GT1.

4WD would have been removed anyhow so it comes down to Nissan developing the V6TT or trying to get the V8 into GTE.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 17:38 (Ref:2767313)   #244
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I am the ACO and Nissan comes to me to allow in the GT-R into GT-2, I so no! They have a car in the Z that can be run without changing the drive train layout and at most would need an engine allowance (6cyl to 8cyl) while utilizing all the stock pick up points from the original chassis and not some race preped/designed chassis with optimum pick up points for racing! It is GT-2.

L.P.
Old 30 Sep 2010, 18:49 (Ref:2767364)   #245
Matador
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Autosport Magazine (print) today says Toyota are looking at a GT2 attack on Le Mans. Likely to be based around customer cars and it has to be profitable according to their motorsport project General Manager. Obviously the Lexus LFA is an option.

Seems like there is a big motorsports meeting taking place this coming month at Toyota where they will decide for sure. The same article says they look like not bothering going rallying as they don't like the new engine regs.

The LFA is up for a tour with Rebellion racing in GT1 trim in FIA GT next year no?
Old 30 Sep 2010, 19:01 (Ref:2767372)   #246
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatadorRacing_F1 View Post
The LFA is up for a tour with Rebellion racing in GT1 trim in FIA GT next year no?
No, Rebellion has a customer engine deal with Toyota for their LMP1 Lola's. There were rumours about the LFA in GT1 but nothing more than that as yet. That's my understanding...
Old 30 Sep 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2767391)   #247
Matador
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
No, Rebellion has a customer engine deal with Toyota for their LMP1 Lola's. There were rumours about the LFA in GT1 but nothing more than that as yet. That's my understanding...
Sorry, my mistake, Vitafone racing... muddling my rumors here...
Old 30 Sep 2010, 22:07 (Ref:2767480)   #248
JAG
Veteran

England
The LFA has been put forward as an option for Toyota's customer GTE to be designed and built at TTE.
Old 1 Oct 2010, 02:19 (Ref:2767569)   #249
Matador
Racer

Quote:
The LFA has been put forward as an option for Toyota's customer GTE to be designed and built at TTE.
How now brown cow?
Old 1 Oct 2010, 07:46 (Ref:2767626)   #250
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Where'd you pick up that information from? I could see the LFA in GT1 and GTE(2), but I'd rather it in GT1 so the speeds could be shown off. I don't want that engine to be limited like it was in the VLN Nurburgring races. It's too great of an engine with that sound to be hampered with restrictions. It's said to be able to rev past 11k rpm but for street cars it's revs were reduced to 'just' 9500rpm max for longevity. It's already a screamer, imagine it in GT1 without so much restriction. That won't happen in GTE, aren't the cars limited to around 480hp? The LFA makes 70 more HP than that in stock trim. I like GTE but GT1 just seems it would suit the LFA better.