Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 13 Aug 2003, 15:22 (Ref:687222)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Childress to Expand into IRL in 2004?

On Monday, the Indy Star reported that Richard Childress is "seriously considering" entering a car, in conjunction with another IRL race team, for the 2004 season....

He has spoken with various teams in recent weeks about this possibility...

The Star specualtes that it will be Panther Racing...he likes their operation, and Panther would benefit because Hornish wants to run the Daytona 500...Childress coudl do a one-race deal for Sam as part of the package....

Childress was quoted as saying that he felt his NASCAR operation could bring something to an IRL team, and they could learn from the IRL team as well...a good symbiotic relationship...

Robby Gordon already has the Indy 500 on his annual list, and Kevin Harvick wants to run at Indy as well...

THis could be interesting as it develops...

I'll keep you posted when I see more, but I'm intersted in your thoughts on this one...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 13 Aug 2003, 15:23 (Ref:687223)   #2
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NOTE:

Childress would stay in NASCAR, but add this to his operations

Old 13 Aug 2003, 16:16 (Ref:687281)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Paul Tracy has been linked with this drive, which would be a shame for the CART fans and real about-turn from Paul.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:07 (Ref:687312)   #4
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would be a good development. Hornish said he would announce his intentions in August, maybe this is part of the deal. Hopefully Daytona is the only NASCAR race for Hornish. It would be a big blow to the IRL if he followed TS to the tin top series.

Paul Tracy is linked to the drive Boots? Where did you hear that?
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:33 (Ref:687327)   #5
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul has talked to Childress in the past about Nascar, I don't believe it is for the IRL. The IRL stuff is new and Pauls talks were supposedly last year with Childress. But you never really know! The article at the bottom does address this somewhat.

http://espn.go.com/rpm/cart/2003/0810/1593430.html
Old 13 Aug 2003, 17:50 (Ref:687342)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The Star also had an item on PT and Childress...all Childress said was that Tracy is the kind of driver he would be looking for to come to his team and that they had talked on occasion....

Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:08 (Ref:687400)   #7
sgw2
Racer

United States
Sunnyvale, California
sgw2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=09983447

Autoweek links this effort with Panther. Sounds more like a second car for this team, or possible Indy 500 runs for Harvick and Gordon. Tracy would be a good candidate to run the regular IRL season, since I canot see him replacing either of Childress' NASCAR drivers.

But I think it may come down to finding a sponsor for PT. Who knows it might be GM Goodwrench - whcih would make sense since Chevrolet wants another top car and driver to compete with Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti-Green.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:15 (Ref:687408)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Remember, Childress already runs a 3rd NASCAR ride...first held by Jeff Green, and now held by Steve Park...

Green was let go because of a lack of results, and Park came from DEI for the same reason (they swappped teams)....

park still isn't showing results, while Gordon & harvick are...

There will be a 3rd NASCAR seat...trust me on this one...

Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:16 (Ref:687409)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
But I do think that Paul would be a logical choice for the Childress IRL ride

Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:21 (Ref:687416)   #10
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do think Paul would be a great choice , but I really don't see him going to them with thier current engine. If Toyota or Honda(if their are no bridges burnt) were their engines. Then maybe.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:22 (Ref:687417)   #11
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 3rd Nascar seat is sponsored by AOL. Maybe Sarah Fisher would be a candidate for the IRL ride.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 19:50 (Ref:687437)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Park won't survive long in that ride with Childress... Literally. I feel nothing but sympathy for him, but he's a danger to himself and the rest of the field, and shouldn't be racing anymore.

PT is _never_ going back to Indy... But yes, the time will come when he can't do CART anymore, or CART just won't be around, and he'll have to go to NASCAR or the ALMS.

A Childress-Panther linkup would be great news for both teams, IMO.
Old 13 Aug 2003, 20:53 (Ref:687548)   #13
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
The new Chevy/Ford/Cosworth power that Panther and the other bow tie boys will have starting this weekend will be competitive....

And boy do I agree, LeeJanotta...after getting screwed in 2002 when he won the Indy 500, I doubt if Paul will ever go back....

But Childress would sure pay him big $$$ to drive in NASCAR...he has made no secret about it....

Old 14 Aug 2003, 01:43 (Ref:687741)   #14
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
PT has said he's talked about Nascar when he's gotten upset at openwheel (sort of to see his options), but never about the IRL. I tend to believe that.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 08:14 (Ref:687865)   #15
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyways it would be a big shot for IRL if, after attracting teams' attention from cart, they could become a good partner for big nascar outfits, it's just the boost they need to continue their development.
And, at the same time, it could stimulate nascar fans to take a glance to open wheel racing...
Old 14 Aug 2003, 14:51 (Ref:688206)   #16
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
The new Chevy/Ford/Cosworth power that Panther and the other bow tie boys will have starting this weekend will be competitive....

And boy do I agree, LeeJanotta...after getting screwed in 2002 when he won the Indy 500, I doubt if Paul will ever go back....

But Childress would sure pay him big $$$ to drive in NASCAR...he has made no secret about it....
I'm afraid Childress is about to pay Hornish big $$$ to drive in NASCAR. Hope I'm wrong
Old 14 Aug 2003, 15:18 (Ref:688229)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ganassi may fold his open-wheel operation as well. I suppose you'd know how it feels to have adriver desert his home, his fans and the races which made him big, voer a sack of cash. What goes around comes around.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 17:24 (Ref:688362)   #18
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Tracy is still driving Champ cars next season I'm a Chinaman. His latest outburst against CART's bosses have all the hallmarks of someone outlining their future plans. He even made sympathetic noises about Tony George, Team Penskie, Andretti and the engine manufaturers that defected to IRL. My hunch is that come next season he'll be hunkered down in the cockpit of a "crapwagon". Forget what he's said in the past if the moneys right he'll be gone and whats more CART have only themselves to blame for the shabby treatment they've dished out to the one driver left in the ranks with a modicum of personality and dare I say it ability. Pook and his minions seem to be hell bent on driving CART to the brink of extinction and that's a damn shame.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 18:10 (Ref:688399)   #19
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by oily oaf
the one driver left in the ranks with a modicum of personality and dare I say it ability.
Surely you can't honestly believe that PT is the only driver in CART with any personality or ability. There are other guys there that are very capable racing drivers. And if you don't think Patrick Carpentier, Sebastien Bourdais, and Darren Manning have personality, you haven't been paying attention.
Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:14 (Ref:688550)   #20
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
To rush1:

Sam still hasn't made his decision, but I think Panther will bend over backwards for him...

One of the notes within the Indy Star article about Panther being the team that Childress would do the deal with had to do specifically with Hornish and his desire to run at Daytona...but Childress would keep Sam in the IRL.....at least that's the way that it read within the context of the news item....

Old 14 Aug 2003, 22:12 (Ref:688591)   #21
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Northcutt
To rush1:

Sam still hasn't made his decision, but I think Panther will bend over backwards for him...

One of the notes within the Indy Star article about Panther being the team that Childress would do the deal with had to do specifically with Hornish and his desire to run at Daytona...but Childress would keep Sam in the IRL.....at least that's the way that it read within the context of the news item....
Hope you are right. I am a big fan of the IRL but if Tony George can't keep talented American drivers in the series it will never catch on in the good old USA.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 07:35 (Ref:688769)   #22
oily oaf
Racer

oily oaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah you're probably right evo maybe that was a bit of a sweeping statement borne out of annoyance. The guys u mention are indeed good guys but Darren & Bourdais are still rookies with a point to prove whereas PT is a nailed-on veteran with the smart mouth that goes with it. My kinda guy I still think that CART without PT will be a much poorer series the fellas a crowd puller and God knows we need all the fans we can get right now.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 13:24 (Ref:689051)   #23
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Note to all:

Childress confirmed that he wants to partner with an IRL team next year on "Windtunnel" with Dave Despain last night....

He specifically said that he likes the Panther operation, but has been talking with others as well....in the past he has hooked deals with AJ Foyt and John Menard with Robby Gordon, and had limited involvement with Robby's run with AGR this year...

Cingular (who sponsored Robby's run with AJ?) would be the likely sponsor for the RCR involved team in the IRL...

On Paul tracy....Childress said he hasn't spoken with Paul in almost 2 years, but that if Paul wanted to run NASCAR, he is Richard's kind of driver and he'd love to have him...