Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 20 Apr 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1589800)   #1
Kev_205
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Kev_205 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fancy footwork

Having recently got an automatic as my daily driver and finding that i unconciously left foot braked I have been practising this technique.
After hitting the windscreen a few times I gradually learnt progressive braking.

Now getting into a manual I have broken the old habits and can just about heel and toe on downshifts.

Now the tricky bit. I see people using a combination of the two techniques but have no idea when there is a need for the dance over the pedals.
should I be downshifting using heel and toe then swapping over to left foot braking so I can trail brake?

Combining the two seem a little tricky! 10 years of driving is a hard habit to crack!
Old 21 Apr 2006, 15:37 (Ref:1590960)   #2
MG Racer
Rookie

England
Ipswich
MG Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess the answer is whatever suits you.

You see top drivers dancing over the pedals becuase they are firstly, touching the pedal with there left foot to bring the pads up to the discs too make sure they are there when they need them. Then they will heel and toe into the corner and trail brake using the same right foot, just moving it off the throttle.

If you are racing there is no time to swap feet from heel and toe to left foot braking. If you do, and by all means try it but not behind me, you will use the car in front as your stopping device.
Old 28 Apr 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1596788)   #3
RickP:Clio51
Veteran

England
Zurich
RickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRickP:Clio51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it's any help, I left foot brake at rolling starts and to balance the car in very high speed corners, if there's a downshift going to be needed, I'll heel-and-toe...
Have always loved the Radisich method of flashing the brake lights at the guy behind abuot 50m before you actually brake (bringing up the pads) but never had the presence of mind to manage to do it. Usually too much going on.
However having had 1 monster accident when I got pad knock-off at Pembrey I'd have thought I'd be a prime candidate for learning to do it...

Cheers
RickP
Old 29 Apr 2006, 00:24 (Ref:1597266)   #4
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For mine, feet work in pairs. If left foot is neededd for clutch, right foot goes to brakes (heel-toe where appropriate). If right foot is needed for throttle, left foot goes to brakes (stability, pad priming).

In auto/smg cars, my left foot is always on the brakes. In man cars I heel toe.
Old 30 Apr 2006, 00:42 (Ref:1597860)   #5
Notso Swift
Veteran

United Nations
37deg 46'52.36" S 144deg 59' 01.83"E
Notso Swift should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I do pretty much the same as pplater. I can't afford to continuously replace the gearbox on my car, so I make life easier with the clutch (despite it being a dogbox), however, if the left foot is available, you may as well use it on the brake.. Especially good for the FWD/4WD that I race, helps with traction and fine balance