Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 13 Oct 2020, 15:08 (Ref:4010400)   #3676
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh! Yeah.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_0180.JPG   _MG_0231.JPG   IMG_0144.JPG  

IMG_0645.JPG   IMG_9757.JPG   IMG_9823.JPG  

Old 13 Oct 2020, 16:10 (Ref:4010419)   #3677
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bob - will you be at Silverstone this coming weekend for the HSCC finals meeting to give yourself some more material for this thread?

I'm out in the last race on Sunday - Historic Road Sports.

It's even rumoured that it's going to be dry.
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:10 (Ref:4010554)   #3678
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Bob - will you be at Silverstone this coming weekend for the HSCC finals meeting to give yourself some more material for this thread?

I'm out in the last race on Sunday - Historic Road Sports.

It's even rumoured that it's going to be dry.
Sadly, no, Brian, not on my list, Chris will be there so Tripos Media are in action.

Kind regards to you both,
Bob
Old 14 Oct 2020, 09:13 (Ref:4010556)   #3679
bauble
Veteran

England
Some times all is not as it should be;
Attached Thumbnails
HSCC May 237.JPG   HSCC May 292.JPG   HSCC May 288.JPG  

HSCC May 319.JPG   IMG_4172.JPG   IMG_6656.JPG  

Old 14 Oct 2020, 10:18 (Ref:4010583)   #3680
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Nice pieces of counter steering here, well done!
Old 14 Oct 2020, 15:22 (Ref:4010645)   #3681
bauble
Veteran

England
Club racing;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2428.JPG   IMG_2432.JPG   IMG_2714.JPG  

IMG_2733.JPG   IMG_2545.JPG   IMG_2629.JPG  

Old 14 Oct 2020, 15:25 (Ref:4010647)   #3682
bauble
Veteran

England
Well worth watching;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2371.JPG   IMG_2410.JPG   IMG_2414.JPG  

IMG_2502.JPG   IMG_2628.JPG   IMG_1745.JPG  

Old 14 Oct 2020, 15:31 (Ref:4010650)   #3683
bauble
Veteran

England
Mostly;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2373.JPG   IMG_2757.JPG   IMG_2759.JPG  

IMG_2766.JPG   IMG_2767.JPG   IMG_6801.JPG  

Old 14 Oct 2020, 20:29 (Ref:4010714)   #3684
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
GCCheddaris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BSCC Thruxton 19.4.76

With the Goodwood Speedweek rapidly approaching, I thought I would post some pictures of Gerry Marshall Trophy contenders as they were raced in the RAC Touring Car Championship in period. Group 1B had taken over from Group 2 in 1974 but in 1976 a limit of 3 litres was imposed, meaning that the previously all-conquering Camaros were now outlawed.

The fourth round of the championship took place at Thruxton, supporting the Easter Monday European Formula Two race. Having qualified second Andy Rouse's works Triumph Dolomite lead the first six laps before engine problems allowed Tom Walkinshaw and his Team Castrol Capri into the lead which the Scotsman held to the end. Rouse was soon to retire promoting the scrap between Gordon Spice and Chris Craft and their Capris with Spice coming out on top to claim second.

The pictures show Andy Rouse, Chris Craft, Gerry Marshall, DTV Vauxhall Firenza Magnum, fourth overall and first in the 2300cc class, Win Percy, Toyota Celica GT, seventh overall and first in 1600cc class and Rouse's hobbled Dolomite about to be overtaken by Walkinshaw.
Attached Thumbnails
Thruxton 19.4.76 BSCC Andy Rouse.jpg   Thruxton 19.4.76 BSCC Chris Craft.jpg   Thruxton 19.4.76 BSCC Gerry Marshall.jpg  

Group 1 1976 Win Percy 2.jpg   Thruxton 19.4.76 BSCC Rouse Walkinshaw.jpg  
Old 14 Oct 2020, 21:07 (Ref:4010720)   #3685
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
BSCC Thruxton 11.9.77

Fast forward to the 1977 season and the Tricentrol British Saloon Car Championship makes it's third visit of the season to Thruxton, supporting the Shellsport Group 8 race. Bernard Unett who had won the Championship in the two previous seasons would go on to claim a hat-trick and he would play an important part in the outcome of this race as well.

Having taken pole position, Tony Dron and his works Triumph Dolomite were beaten off the line by Stuart Graham (Ford Capri) and Gerry Marshall (DTV Vauxhall Firenza Magnum). Dron took a couple of laps to retake second from Marshall and set off in pursuit of Graham. Meanwhile a rather robust dice for the lead of the baby 1300 class between Richard Longman's Mini and Unett's Avenger was about to play a large part in the destiny of the race.

Approaching the Chicane for the fifteenth time, Graham lapped the duelling 1300 class leaders but Unett had other ideas and retook Graham as they entered the Chicane. Contact was inevitable and Graham was left broadside in the middle of the Chicane as the pursuing Dron and Gordon Spice (Ford Capri) performed miracles to avoid the stricken Capri, leaving Spice in the lead. Still the excitement wasn't over as approaching the Chicane for the final time Spice tripped over a backmarker allowing Dron to take the victory on the drag to the finish with Chris Craft completing the top three and Unett pipped Longman to victory in the tiddlers class.

The pictures show Dron, Marshall and Spice scrapping over second in the early stages of the race, Brian Muir (Triumph Dolomite) leads Tom Walkinshaw (BMW 530i), the Longman/Unett battle and Graham is unceremoniously punted out of the lead by Unett.
Attached Thumbnails
Thruxton 11.9.77 BSC Tony Dron 1.jpg   Thruxton 11.9.77 BSC Tony Dron 2.jpg   Thruxton 11.9.77 BSC Brian Muir.jpg  

Thruxton 11.9.77 BSC Longman Unett.jpg   Thruxton 11.9.77 BSC Stuart Graham.jpg  
Old 15 Oct 2020, 05:00 (Ref:4010770)   #3686
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!Gerard C has a real shot at the championship!
Fantastic race reports, thanks GC! Very much intrigued by this 530. I think I do know it but its now RHD. I never heard about several 5 Series modified by TWR.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 07:14 (Ref:4010775)   #3687
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
I had forgotten all about Tom Walkinshaw's BMW, Ford Capris seemed to dominate the British Saloon Car Championship until the Rover SD1s came along. I drew on the late Frank de Jong's website to refresh my memory and on there the BMW is listed as a BMW 530i US so presumably it originated in the USA.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 07:17 (Ref:4010776)   #3688
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although the Capri dominated I don't believe a Capri ever won the outright championship due to the class structure.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 07:30 (Ref:4010779)   #3689
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
I think you are quite right Peter. The top class was always the most competitive and the Capri drivers would take wins and points from one another, whereas the smaller classes would often be dominated by one driver/team meaning that the overall championship fall to a driver who was often well down the field in races.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 09:04 (Ref:4010790)   #3690
bauble
Veteran

England
I still think you should work on them GC.

You should be careful what you post!

Gerard will want to know the name and telephone number of that girl in the crowd on the banking
Attached Thumbnails
Thruxton 19.4.76 BSCC Gerry Marshall (1).jpg   Thruxton 19.4.76 BSCC Gerry Marshall.jpg  
Old 15 Oct 2020, 10:52 (Ref:4010799)   #3691
Gerard C
Veteran

France
My place
The 530 ius is an extension from 528 i from if my memory serves. I remember reading that TW built only one 530 originally a LHD road going car. It has been extensively raced after in french Production and enter four times in 24 Hours of Spa but in RHD form. Jean Pierre Malcher pedaled it more than once with success.

A pretty girl, bauble, where zat ………
Old 15 Oct 2020, 11:19 (Ref:4010802)   #3692
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCCheddaris View Post
I think you are quite right Peter. The top class was always the most competitive and the Capri drivers would take wins and points from one another, whereas the smaller classes would often be dominated by one driver/team meaning that the overall championship fall to a driver who was often well down the field in races.
You are both correct....

Outright winners from1972-89

:1972 Bill McGovern Sunbeam Imp
1973 Frank Gardner Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1974 Bernard Unett Hillman Avenger GT
1975 Andy Rouse Triumph Dolomite Sprint
1976 Bernard Unett Chrysler Avenger GT
1977 Bernard Unett Chrysler Avenger GT
1978 Richard Longman BL Mini 1275GT
1979 Richard Longman BL Mini 1275GT
1980 Win Percy Mazda RX-7
1981 Win Percy Mazda RX-7
1982 Win Percy Toyota Corolla
1983 Andy Rouse Alfa Romeo GTV6
1984 Andy Rouse Rover Vitesse
1985 Andy Rouse Ford Sierra XR4ti Turbo
1986 Chris Hodgetts Toyota Corolla GT
1987 Chris Hodgetts Toyota Corolla GT
1988 Frank Sytner BMW M3
1989 John Cleland Vauxhall Astra GTE 16v

http://www.btcc.net/history/champions/btcc-champions/
Old 15 Oct 2020, 12:11 (Ref:4010805)   #3693
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
John Cleland never felt he properly won the title in 89 due to the class system, as he didn’t feel right winning the title when his best result was 9th
Old 15 Oct 2020, 13:24 (Ref:4010820)   #3694
GCCheddaris
Veteran

England
Weymouth
Funnily enough I quite enjoyed the class based Championships. I never had a problem following battles between class competitors and, as proven by the 1977 race, lapping slower cars could throw another variable into the equation. With the BOP obsessed series we have these days, it is an art which has largely died out.

Apart from the fact that the overall champion often finished down the field in the individual races, the other problem with class based championships is one model often ended up dominant in each class. By 1965 the BSCC ended up with Mustangs dominating the top class, Lotus Cortinas the 2 litre class and Minis the smallest classes. At the end of the multi class BSCC in 1989 Sierras ruled the top class, BMW M3s and Toyota Corollas classes B & D with only class C featuring any variety with Astras taking on VW Golfs. The single class BTCC brought in not only (arguably) closer racing but also greater variety.
Old 15 Oct 2020, 14:12 (Ref:4010825)   #3695
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
The other problem was that those classes with low numbers would in theory have an advantage, although they did try to get around by awarding less points if a class was below a certain number
Old 15 Oct 2020, 16:49 (Ref:4010859)   #3696
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nothing wrong with that, it was to encourage smaller capacity vehicles, the kind that most folks could afford at the time.

Unett's 1300 Avenger was however something special, did Weslake develop the engines?
Old 16 Oct 2020, 10:22 (Ref:4010971)   #3697
bauble
Veteran

England
MGA's; in colour;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4457.JPG   IMG_4382.JPG   IMG_4381.JPG  

IMG_4432.JPG   IMG_4426.JPG   IMG_9308.JPG  

Old 16 Oct 2020, 10:38 (Ref:4010973)   #3698
bauble
Veteran

England
People keep forgetting this is a PICTURE PARADE!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7793.JPG   IMG_7794.JPG   IMG_9842.JPG  

IMG_7822.JPG   IMG_7831.JPG   IMG_6858.JPG  

Old 16 Oct 2020, 10:42 (Ref:4010974)   #3699
bauble
Veteran

England
Seeing red;
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6801.JPG   IMG_4227.JPG   IMG_4417.JPG  

IMG_9222.JPG   IMG_9381.JPG   IMG_1579.JPG  

Old 17 Oct 2020, 09:13 (Ref:4011126)   #3700
bauble
Veteran

England
Good Day All;
Attached Thumbnails
Elva Courier Jon Gross.jpg   IMG_4310.JPG   MGB Oliver Bryant.jpg  

IMG_9525.JPG   Sunbeam Alpine Le Mans Keith Hampson.jpg   HSCC May 025.JPG