Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Jun 2013, 09:58 (Ref:3268773)   #201
greeny12
Rookie

greeny12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's only my personal opinion but I cannot help thinking that the seeds of this weekend's tragedy were sown with the most recent track layout change, which remodelled Tertre Rouge into a faster, more flowing corner.

When I first went to Le Mans in 1996 I loved watching from the inside of the track at night (by the little dark tunnel) as the cars slammed their anchors on and seemed to defy physics in slowing for the old corner.

When I went back for the first time after the circuit change that had totally changed and now they just roared past. Maybe Rocky's big accident there in 2007 should have been treated as a warning? Maybe not, I don't know.

It does seem to me, though, that in its new incarnation we now have a pure racing circiut corner but with public road safety margins (i.e. armco and trees).

I hope the full results of the ACO investigation are made known...
Old 24 Jun 2013, 10:38 (Ref:3268783)   #202
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Armco mußt be allowed to flex when hit to absorb energy. Puttin armco right next to immovable objects like trees completely negates its purpose. Might as well not put anything in place. This should'nt have happened period.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3268946)   #203
Dunlop Corner
Racer

Dunlop Corner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any theories as to why the armco kept failing this year? I dont remember needing anywere near ten repairs during the race. Did we previously just race with broken armco or was there something different with the construction this year?

Personally i felt that the armco somehow ripped the cars much more violently, instead of letting it bounce. The Thiriet crash somehow looked completely exagerated like a kid playing with cars. At the low speed and angle, i would have guessed that the car would just bounce slightly and continue against the wall with small damage. Instead the car was lifted into the air and spun around with heavy damage.

I dont know if i an over analysing this, but the nature of the damage from the armco together with the nunerous repairs needed in the race and during practice, i feel that somehow the armco was different this year.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 17:19 (Ref:3269034)   #204
wewantourdarbyback
Veteran

United Kingdom
Surrey
wewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwewantourdarbyback should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The barriers created far too many problems this year, I hope the ACO are going to have a detailed look at them and if there is a better solution. Allan's accident was tragic and from the look of it completely unexpected, he crashed after Tetre Rouge and into the public road. I don't think you can explain it as a crash at the corner as the impact was in the acceleration area as you are already out of the permanent track. If you say put more tyre barriers there then you need to put them along the entire Mulsanne straight.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 18:48 (Ref:3269072)   #205
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You have to be careful when putting tyre walls on a straight as when a car glanses off them sideways it can create a massive shunt. If you have a similar impact with an armco barrier the car tends to slide along the barrier. However if the car is going to hit a barrier head on then a tyre wall can work very well.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3269109)   #206
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny12 View Post
It's only my personal opinion but I cannot help thinking that the seeds of this weekend's tragedy were sown with the most recent track layout change, which remodelled Tertre Rouge into a faster, more flowing corner.

When I first went to Le Mans in 1996 I loved watching from the inside of the track at night (by the little dark tunnel) as the cars slammed their anchors on and seemed to defy physics in slowing for the old corner.

When I went back for the first time after the circuit change that had totally changed and now they just roared past. Maybe Rocky's big accident there in 2007 should have been treated as a warning? Maybe not, I don't know.

It does seem to me, though, that in its new incarnation we now have a pure racing circiut corner but with public road safety margins (i.e. armco and trees).

I hope the full results of the ACO investigation are made known...
I just posted this in the other track related thread, maybe more relevant here...

The thing is with Tertre Rouge is they made it wider to give it more run off but the consequence is rather than being a corner its now a sweep...and a lot more faster than it ever used to be. Its certainly impressive to watch but the speed that some of the prototypes can take thru there is scary at times.

The run down from the Dunlop Bridge to the Esses, perhaps older visitors could tell us if there were many incidents there, but certainly in the last few years we've had Audi, Lister, Krohn...all having major moments. The fact that its no longer such a sharp corner at the bottom means the cars have more chance to speed up thru the Esses, hence the 30 yard zone rouge on the outside and probably even more speed being carried into an already faster Tertre Rouge...all done as i recall to make it safer for motorbikes on the Bugatti Circuit.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3269181)   #207
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
My feeling about this year is that Tertre Rouge felt more flat out than usual.

Using the pretty unscientific measure of how visible glowing brake discs were at night it looked as though there was a bit of a dab at the start, near where big screen on the outside is, and then it's flat all the way through - hence a lot of speed being carried through.

That said, was that a factor in the Simonsen crash? Would shaving a bit of speed off when he speared left have made a difference? To my, again unscientifically schooled, eyes, the issue looks like angle of impact, point of impact, at a speed which would have had to be a lot lower to make a material difference.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3269185)   #208
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm not going to make any comment on what changes I think should be made, at least for now. Not only am I totally uninformed as a spectator, but it would be a knee-jerk reaction.

The only thing to be said is that this was a tragedy, a tragedy made worse in part to its unexpected nature. This wasn't an accident waiting to happen. We didn't see this coming. There's something to be analysed in that I guess.

RIP Allan Simonsen.
Old 24 Jun 2013, 23:25 (Ref:3269234)   #209
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunlop Corner View Post
Any theories as to why the armco kept failing this year? I dont remember needing anywere near ten repairs during the race. Did we previously just race with broken armco or was there something different with the construction this year?
Earlier post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peat View Post
But why was it that this year we saw so much damage to it? Dumb luck? Ant Davidson suggested that the water-table was high and so the ground around the posts is soft, making the whole lot 'give' alot more.
That sounds plausible. Where Ant said this? Link? If on RLM, any idea when?
Old 25 Jun 2013, 00:40 (Ref:3269269)   #210
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
One change was pretty obvious during any night onboard especially on the straights: these reflectors on the barriers. I looked at onboards from two previous years, they were already some there, but now a lot more frequently and in all sections. Were they put there by ACO or is this something that was because they are public roads? They do look a lot like these reflectors on highways.

I wonder how many more years until the whole track is basically lit. :|

Old 25 Jun 2013, 05:40 (Ref:3269342)   #211
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
It was definitely on RLM, but i only 'think' that Ant said it.

Because at the time, i was very...........very drunk.
Old 25 Jun 2013, 17:04 (Ref:3269629)   #212
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
IF it was up to me, I'd certainly change the two things I mentioned in the other thread. I'd tighten up the first apex of Tertre Rouge somewhat, and make the second part of the corner a nice curve, instead of a more abrupt kink. I'd also make Mulsanne a strait in, straight out corner again.

In addition, they have run-off there now, so I see no reason why they couldn't reinstate the old Dunlop Curve for the Sportscars. They could leave the chicane in for the bikes, if they must.
Old 26 Jun 2013, 07:47 (Ref:3269880)   #213
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
As I have said on the track safety thread IF the tree played a part in the accident then this situation needs to be addressed by adapting or protecting the barrier or moving the trees
Old 26 Jun 2013, 08:53 (Ref:3269898)   #214
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect moving the trees without removing them completely would be difficult.... I think much needs to be assessed before anything is changed, otherwise you end up changing something which may have had little or no bearing and risk leaving something (like the newly painted lines) which actually caused the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
You have to be careful when putting tyre walls on a straight as when a car glanses off them sideways it can create a massive shunt. If you have a similar impact with an armco barrier the car tends to slide along the barrier. However if the car is going to hit a barrier head on then a tyre wall can work very well.
I agree 100%. Tyres lining the armco on the straight is not the answer nor has it been demonstrated to be necessary in my opinion. Cars hitting those tyres at considerable speed will be bounced back leaving a debris field as wide as the Titanic's.....
Old 26 Jun 2013, 09:01 (Ref:3269903)   #215
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Can I just add that we have a 'Track Safety' thread and we're ending up spreading posts between this one and that or even the same posts in both... This one was always intended for comment upon changes that have already happened or are proposed. If you're wanting to comment on track safety issues, can you use the other thread please. Otherwise I'm just gonna have to start moving posts over - and you can avoid me having to do that by putting them in the right place to start with. Thanks.