Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 26 May 2020, 11:27 (Ref:3978374)   #6051
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
We can all go back to work and be close to colleagues but we cant go to Donnington and social distance to watch the BTCC? Nonsense
I don't know what it's like where you work, but I don't have 30,000 people working in my office.
Old 26 May 2020, 11:37 (Ref:3978377)   #6052
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
I don't know what it's like where you work, but I don't have 30,000 people working in my office.
One of the big challenges with social distancing is that a large number of people are just determined not to ‘get it.’

Bit like people who can’t spell Donington.
Old 26 May 2020, 11:41 (Ref:3978378)   #6053
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
mmm, i think if anything the past few weeks with a slightly relaxed lockdown have shown how the british public absolutely cannot be trusted to act in each others interests. i live in a bit of a tourist trap and the sheer number of people who thought it was ok to drive to our town and walk down some pretty narrow paths rendering them inaccessible for the locals is mindblowing.

i'm happy to keep the great british public the hell out of my workplace until next season when hopefully there will be a vaccine or the virus will be largely gone. the lot of you can watch it from your sofas. we're entitled to work in a safe environment and that clearly can't be done with spectators.
I'm amazed at how many people equated "stay at home where possible" with "go to the beach for the day". Sporting events should probably be crowd free until next year (as much as it pains me to say that - I miss being trackside)
Old 26 May 2020, 11:51 (Ref:3978382)   #6054
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So far today, my holiday has been cancelled and Silverstone Classic is cancelled. One of those is similar to a BTCC meeting.
Old 26 May 2020, 11:57 (Ref:3978383)   #6055
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daverb View Post
We can all go back to work and be close to colleagues but we cant go to Donnington and social distance to watch the BTCC? Nonsense
I think it's the difference between essential and leisure activities.

Essential activites (earning an income for most) - accepted level of risk will be higher than for a leisure pursuit (the crowds at the event).

The professional side of the industry is being permitted to resume in the most part. Easier to not have crowds than to try and manage them.
Old 26 May 2020, 12:19 (Ref:3978390)   #6056
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
If Premier League football does start that means 22 men will be in very close physical contact before going home to their loved ones. And they'll then each meet 11 different men in a weeks time.
Er, no.

They'll be going back to an hotel with their teammates (with whom they are already training) and being tested every day. And if they test positive they stay in isolation for 10 days.
Old 26 May 2020, 12:24 (Ref:3978392)   #6057
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
mmm, i think if anything the past few weeks with a slightly relaxed lockdown have shown how the british public absolutely cannot be trusted to act in each others interests. i live in a bit of a tourist trap and the sheer number of people who thought it was ok to drive to our town and walk down some pretty narrow paths rendering them inaccessible for the locals is mindblowing.

i'm happy to keep the great british public the hell out of my workplace until next season when hopefully there will be a vaccine or the virus will be largely gone. the lot of you can watch it from your sofas. we're entitled to work in a safe environment and that clearly can't be done with spectators.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
I'm amazed at how many people equated "stay at home where possible" with "go to the beach for the day". Sporting events should probably be crowd free until next year (as much as it pains me to say that - I miss being trackside)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I think it's the difference between essential and leisure activities.

Essential activites (earning an income for most) - accepted level of risk will be higher than for a leisure pursuit (the crowds at the event).

The professional side of the industry is being permitted to resume in the most part. Easier to not have crowds than to try and manage them.
I agree 100% with all of this, plus let's not make life even more complicated for the people running the event, and increase the risk to the team members, marshals and other essential staff by allowing a shed load of un-necessary into the event too. I'm very sorry that I'll not be able to enjoy my annual 'jolly' to Donington this year, but if people like me staying away means that the event can take place then I am happy not to be able to go, especially if I can still watch the action on TV.
Old 26 May 2020, 12:28 (Ref:3978396)   #6058
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
BTCC is one of the biggest crowd draws in UK Motorsport, but also received extensive coverage on TV and online.
In the UK, which events have very high crowd numbers that don't get coverage elsewhere as a means of spectating? It is these that are more likely to suffer as an event than a BTCC meeting.
Old 26 May 2020, 13:01 (Ref:3978401)   #6059
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one thing that needs clarifying that they absolutely could do without needing to quantify it is whether spectators will be permitted in the paddock at all this season.

i think some circuits will need to heavily up their games in the sanitary department as well. thruxton and croft are both absolutely terrible for basic bathroom facilities, let alone seperate paddock and spectator area ones.
Old 26 May 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3978407)   #6060
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well as things like F1 will be ran behind closed doors and football saying it'll be at least behind closed doors till November then a BTCC race behimd closed doors and on free to air TV is better than no BTCC at all.
Old 26 May 2020, 13:23 (Ref:3978410)   #6061
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
one thing that needs clarifying that they absolutely could do without needing to quantify it is whether spectators will be permitted in the paddock at all this season.

i think some circuits will need to heavily up their games in the sanitary department as well. thruxton and croft are both absolutely terrible for basic bathroom facilities, let alone seperate paddock and spectator area ones.
That will be a given. How can you protect teams with all the people in the paddock.
But with no spectators that'll be easy to control.
Old 26 May 2020, 14:57 (Ref:3978435)   #6062
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Wasn’t there talk of them only allowing fans from the county that the circuit is in? I think I only read it on here, so maybe not!
Old 26 May 2020, 15:20 (Ref:3978442)   #6063
mark_l
Veteran

England
mark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmark_l should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
It will be interesting to see how social distancing will be carried out in the media centres of circuits, imagine how Croft will cope.
Old 26 May 2020, 15:29 (Ref:3978443)   #6064
thetool
Veteran

thetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthetool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
It will be interesting to see how social distancing will be carried out in the media centres of circuits, imagine how Croft will cope.
If they do try to run meetings with essential people only and no spectators, I don't think the media will be there. Minimal crew for the TV production will be all. Any interviews / presenting will probably be done remotely, either from a studio or at home.

Print media I don't think will be present all, will have to review the races from the TV coverage and conduct their interviews remotely post event (the latter of which shouldn't be too challenging).
Old 26 May 2020, 17:05 (Ref:3978456)   #6065
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_l View Post
I wouldn't call any of them spacious. I assume they will operate a pool service. For photos, get a few of Jacob's guys in and make the shots available to anyone who wants them. Race reports can almost be done from watching the TV coverage; from some of the sites I've read I think they are already doing that. For driver quotes you send a couple of guys into the paddock with a microphone on a big stick and share the results.
Old 26 May 2020, 19:48 (Ref:3978477)   #6066
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetool View Post
If they do try to run meetings with essential people only and no spectators, I don't think the media will be there. Minimal crew for the TV production will be all. Any interviews / presenting will probably be done remotely, either from a studio or at home.

Print media I don't think will be present all, will have to review the races from the TV coverage and conduct their interviews remotely post event (the latter of which shouldn't be too challenging).
There won't be anyone in the media centres.

They'll allow official championship photographers, and official championship press officers. Everyone else can work from home.
Old 26 May 2020, 22:30 (Ref:3978491)   #6067
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sceptic View Post
There won't be anyone in the media centres.

They'll allow official championship photographers, and official championship press officers. Everyone else can work from home.
this is what’s happening elsewhere. it’s fair enough really - if jakob didn’t get an image of it it didn’t happen

there’s some discussion about a lack of independant press keeping people on the straight and narrow and asking different questions but that’s not really a thing in btcc is it...
Old 26 May 2020, 23:18 (Ref:3978493)   #6068
touring fan01
Veteran

touring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtouring fan01 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
this is what’s happening elsewhere. it’s fair enough really - if jakob didn’t get an image of it it didn’t happen

there’s some discussion about a lack of independant press keeping people on the straight and narrow and asking different questions but that’s not really a thing in btcc is it...
the independent press dont know how to use mobile phones to call drivers or teams to ask their different questions?
Old 27 May 2020, 07:33 (Ref:3978503)   #6069
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I wonder if there'll be any freelancers. That might be easier
Old 27 May 2020, 07:40 (Ref:3978505)   #6070
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any reason why freelancers are able to do things that regular journos can't?
Old 27 May 2020, 07:52 (Ref:3978509)   #6071
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
They're free and they use a lance.
Old 27 May 2020, 08:05 (Ref:3978512)   #6072
sceptic
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
They're free and they use a lance.
That lance will keep anyone 2 metres away from you.
Old 27 May 2020, 08:25 (Ref:3978513)   #6073
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
I'm guessing that either:

A) - they're perfectly happy to ignore social distancing rules.

B) - they're more likely to carry the equipment to 'snoop' on proceedings from a long distance away using a super tele-photo lens.

*** Disclaimer - I have nothing to prove that the techniques used in either example are specific to, or observed in, freelance journalists. Just trying to understand why the poster might think they are an easier option ***
Old 27 May 2020, 10:14 (Ref:3978606)   #6074
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So motorsport uk has announced motorsport can restart from 4th July. If the BTCC is behind closed doors anyway why isn’t a later round moved forward ?
Old 27 May 2020, 10:15 (Ref:3978607)   #6075
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
The message says national and international will be later in order to comply with any international travel restrictions. So, from July 1 it's club events as I understand it. Also they make the point that there may not be enough support personnel available.

Edit: This is what I meant:

There will be a number of caveats of granting event permits, including that event organisers commit that their events will be held behind closed doors, appropriate PPE requirements are met, and that each organiser must appoint a COVID-19 officer to ensure compliance with any relevant guidelines. Furthermore, there will be a limit on the number of permits issued for July to 50% of those in the corresponding month of 2019, in order that there are sufficient volunteer Official and Marshal resources available to support the restart in a safe and responsible manner. No national or British championship events will take place in July to reduce potential national and international travel (excludes FIA championships).
To find out more about Motorsport UK - visit motorsportuk.org/restart