Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 5 Jun 2020, 13:53 (Ref:3980330)   #6201
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
But that advert is from January, well before this decision was announced.
Yes - the day after TOCA publicly announced the tender process as open.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 13:54 (Ref:3980331)   #6202
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Turns out it will be a 2L unit. Just noticed the following from the tender process:

'The engine must be designed to comply with 2020 technical regulations, which specify a turbocharged 2.0-litre, four-cylinder in-line unit that fits all current cars, while simultaneously considering the forthcoming integration of hybrid systems in the BTCC.'
Old 5 Jun 2020, 14:36 (Ref:3980340)   #6203
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Sure but a long time before the tender winner was announced and 2 years before the current TOCA engine is obsolete.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 14:38 (Ref:3980341)   #6204
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
Sure but a long time before the tender winner was announced and 2 years before the current TOCA engine is obsolete.
I know. But possibly also the day after they knew that they wouldn't be competing for the tender.

Either way, is it really that important? It's just an observation....
Old 5 Jun 2020, 14:48 (Ref:3980344)   #6205
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
It’s interesting that Brands GP will be before the Indy circuit for the first time in 10 years. It will make for an intriguing final on the Indy circuit
Old 5 Jun 2020, 15:37 (Ref:3980351)   #6206
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Swindon have been selling used NGTC spec engines for years. I doubt the timing of the advert is anything more than pure co-incidence.
Old 5 Jun 2020, 19:14 (Ref:3980377)   #6207
Spanner monkey
Racer

England
Norwich
Spanner monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Most teams will lease the engines from Swindon so it won't be a big headache to change to a 2.0ltr M-Sport engine over the winter. Wont be derived from the 1.6 WRC engine as that was developed along the global engine rules which WRC/WTCC used. RML wouldn't sell you a 1.6t (Used in the chevy)but they would lease you one
Old 5 Jun 2020, 20:24 (Ref:3980389)   #6208
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Swindon will sell anyone a''turnkey'' NGTC unit for £25k, thats always been the RRP. People are forgetting that the TOCA engine isn't the only option, you can go buy one from NBE, Mountune, Ric Wood, Scholar, Swimdon, anybody. M-Sport are just the 'defacto' supplier not sole supplier of engines.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 09:32 (Ref:3980443)   #6209
mjcapri
Rookie

mjcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I’d be very surprised if it’s not based on Ford’s 2.0 Ecoboost, it seems logical on more than one level.

If that is the case I do wonder if Motorbase will continue with Mountune or whether they’ll swap to the TOCA unit. Interesting....

In terms of forecourt relevance, not all engines are getting smaller. The new Focus ST actually uses a 2.3 in place of the old models 2.0. I believe it was easier to hit the required emissions figures this way and the 2.3 obviously already existed, but it’s just an example.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 11:43 (Ref:3980461)   #6210
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjcapri View Post
I’d be very surprised if it’s not based on Ford’s 2.0 Ecoboost, it seems logical on more than one level.

If that is the case I do wonder if Motorbase will continue with Mountune or whether they’ll swap to the TOCA unit. Interesting....

In terms of forecourt relevance, not all engines are getting smaller. The new Focus ST actually uses a 2.3 in place of the old models 2.0. I believe it was easier to hit the required emissions figures this way and the 2.3 obviously already existed, but it’s just an example.
Motorbase have a lot of ties with Mountune, I'd be very surprised if Motorbase went to another engine builder.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 12:07 (Ref:3980465)   #6211
mjcapri
Rookie

mjcapri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Motorbase have a lot of ties with Mountune, I'd be very surprised if Motorbase went to another engine builder.
I believe so.

Out of interest have there been any previous examples of two engine builders building the ‘same’ engine?
Old 6 Jun 2020, 12:23 (Ref:3980472)   #6212
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
I believe so.

Out of interest have there been any previous examples of two engine builders building the ‘same’ engine?
IIRC, there was a period when BMR had engines fitted that had been prepared by Mountune and Swindon at the same time.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 13:29 (Ref:3980483)   #6213
MagicBoy
Racer

United Kingdom
MagicBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I believe so.

First year of NGTC there were Ric Wood and Lehmann versions of the VAG lump. RAR swapped mid-season IIRC.
Old 6 Jun 2020, 14:40 (Ref:3980496)   #6214
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I believe so.

I doubt if this is what you are referring to but back in the Old Group A BTCC days a number of different people built RS500 engines.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 16:11 (Ref:3980843)   #6215
RS67
Veteran

Could be nothing, but only showing two cars.
https://www.facebook.com/18501483823...QhgMn&d=n&vh=e
Old 8 Jun 2020, 16:23 (Ref:3980845)   #6216
Matt K
Veteran

Matt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMatt K should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe because the third is an older RS and quite a separate entry for Neate. I don't remember his livery from pre-season testing but wasn't it a bit different than "main two" cars?
Old 8 Jun 2020, 16:23 (Ref:3980846)   #6217
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Cars 6, 44 and 48 are all seen at some point during the clip.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3980848)   #6218
Pdh
Racer

Pdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPdh should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Think you need to watch again, it shows there’s 4 different cars in the clip, 3 new cars and the RS from pre season
Old 8 Jun 2020, 17:08 (Ref:3980855)   #6219
RS67
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdh View Post
Think you need to watch again, it shows there’s 4 different cars in the clip, 3 new cars and the RS from pre season
Only watched it on my phone and the only number I could clearly see was No.6
Old 8 Jun 2020, 17:09 (Ref:3980857)   #6220
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Quote:
Watched it on phone too.

6secs, RS and ST models visible.
17secs, 2 ST models visible.
18secs, 44 is visible.
23secs, 48 is visible.
Old 8 Jun 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3980873)   #6221
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The 44 car is the one with the big '44' on the roof
Old 8 Jun 2020, 19:24 (Ref:3980881)   #6222
Jay87
Rookie

Jay87 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did notice that racing red seems to have disappeared from the side though
Old 8 Jun 2020, 21:35 (Ref:3980896)   #6223
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Has the rumoured sponsor reconsidered potentially?
Old 8 Jun 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3980901)   #6224
SR18
Rookie

SR18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What do you think how will Hyundai and Ford perform?
Old 9 Jun 2020, 17:13 (Ref:3981010)   #6225
Tja
Racer

Tja should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Not quite nothing, but also nothing to worry about:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SanGcqek6gA

Interview with Dave Bartrum, he says they still have to finish the third car, but nearly there. They would've started the season with one old Focus without the delay. Also some more shots of the cars and the Racing Red stickers are indeed gone.

Dave did have Covid 19 himself, but now seems eager to go racing.

Definitely worth a watch.