If they're tied I imagine they'd go with F166 T tbh

F14T is just ridiculous
Old 18 Jan 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3355636)   #52
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
If there are crash test woes, I wonder if it is frontal. And if frontal, I wonder if it is due to the likelihood that the new noses are much smaller than previously and that teams are pushing the envelope regarding crashworthiness.

Richard
It'll be interesting to see if any other teams have the same problem.
Old 18 Jan 2014, 17:05 (Ref:3355656)   #53
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot17 View Post
If they're tied I imagine they'd go with F166 T tbh

F14T is just ridiculous
Opinion accepted.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 08:51 (Ref:3356147)   #54
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Charlie Whiting: "I can't give away too much obviously, but we've seen a lot of looks, strange by previous standards, particularly the tip of the nose.

"So each team is doing their best to overcome the disadvantage aerodynamically of doing that, and so are coming out with different ideas.

"I think what you'll see is some interesting things which a lot of people will think are a little ugly, a little odd. But I'm sure we'll all get used to it."

So 'apparently' the cars are uglier than last years, and won't sound as good as last years cars. This will go down well with the fans.
But I'm sure we'll all get used to it.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 14:28 (Ref:3356261)   #55
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I think the cars will sound fine, different but none the less more than acceptable...
Old 20 Jan 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3356292)   #56
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just turn the tv volume up to 11 and it will be fine.

also actually like the notion that the teams all came up with different versions of 'ugly'. its the convergence towards everyone having the same solution which i find more irritating.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 16:51 (Ref:3356310)   #57
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The V8 cars were just ear splitting in person..
Old 20 Jan 2014, 18:35 (Ref:3356349)   #58
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's not my favourite Grand Prix engine sound, but its difference from recent ones at least marks it out. I disliked the V8 as it sounded a bit lacking really. The V10s might not have been everyone's favourite, but at least their shrillness gave them some "passion".
Old 20 Jan 2014, 18:57 (Ref:3356355)   #59
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
TheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNo1F1Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
It's not my favourite Grand Prix engine sound, but its difference from recent ones at least marks it out. I disliked the V8 as it sounded a bit lacking really. The V10s might not have been everyone's favourite, but at least their shrillness gave them some "passion".
Opinion accepted. In my opinion, the Renault V10 engine from 2005 makes a big engine noise. It's from here and skip to #1.

Last edited by TheNo1F1Fan; 20 Jan 2014 at 19:04.
Old 20 Jan 2014, 21:05 (Ref:3356393)   #60
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Charlie Whiting: "I can't give away too much obviously, but we've seen a lot of looks, strange by previous standards, particularly the tip of the nose.
2013 noses are in general thin (top to bottom), but wide and with an overall lower frontal area (in comparison to the 2014 noses). I believe a main goal was to get the air flowing unobstructed under the nose in that design. With the tip of 2014 noses being lower, I think it increases the frontal area (between the tip and the bulkhead of the main chassis). A wide 2013 style nose under 2014 regulations would move more air up and over the top vs. under. So I wonder if in addition to making the nose smaller in general, that it becomes thinner left to right, but taller top to bottom, but still having the correct cross section per the rules. Effectively rotated 90 deg from what we see today. Particularly near the tip. It might move the air first left/right and then under the nose instead of up and over.

I can't wait for the car launches to see what they look like!

Richard
Old 20 Jan 2014, 22:12 (Ref:3356416)   #61
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Are McLaren announcing their new title sponsor on Friday as well as or are we going to get the new car launched in McLaren Orange?
Old 20 Jan 2014, 22:55 (Ref:3356433)   #62
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The V8 cars were just ear splitting in person..
They were fairly ear-splitting, but more so than the V10s, would you say? I've seen V10s once, but I don't remember an obvious difference in those terms, but I don't remember it being the other way either.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 00:27 (Ref:3356471)   #63
mikuni
Veteran

mikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmikuni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard a full field of V8's last year and I was impressed. It is truely something to behold, and I do hope that F1 retains that spectacle.

This weekend just gone at the New Zealand Festival of Motor Racing I was lucky enough to see a '94 V12 Ferrari alongside two '85 V6 Turbo Ferrari's and while the V12 out noised the turbos massively, I wasn't too worried that F1 was going back to a turbo era. The turbos sounded great and they were wound right down and pulling lower rev's (but still being driven to the limit).

I too am very much looking forward to this season, even if nothing else but to whinge about "what F1 used to be".
Old 21 Jan 2014, 02:21 (Ref:3356499)   #64
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Turbo engines sound nice IMO, provided they aren't too quiet.

The V8's were really annoying I found trackside. Don't really know why.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 08:34 (Ref:3356549)   #65
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Are McLaren announcing their new title sponsor on Friday as well as or are we going to get the new car launched in McLaren Orange?
AFAIK they have delayed the new sponsor announcement until launch day , but I do hope they go with Mclaren orange aswell !
Old 21 Jan 2014, 08:55 (Ref:3356556)   #66
321Go
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Maybe...

Oh, and it's a Japanese company. Apparently.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3356604)   #67
TheNo1F1Fan
Veteran

Denmark
Quote:
Originally Posted by 321Go View Post
Maybe...

Oh, and it's a Japanese company. Apparently.
Japanese company for what, or the sponsor? Just asking.

Last edited by TheNo1F1Fan; 21 Jan 2014 at 11:06. Reason: Maybe it's the sponsor.
Old 21 Jan 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3356666)   #68
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren have passed their crash tests with the new car so they will be at Jerez next week.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/112212
Old 21 Jan 2014, 23:33 (Ref:3356889)   #69
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
AFAIK they have delayed the new sponsor announcement until launch day , but I do hope they go with Mclaren orange aswell !
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ar-is-launched

Looks like I may be wrong , good or bad sign ?
Old 21 Jan 2014, 23:58 (Ref:3356893)   #70
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy666 View Post
http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/12...ar-is-launched

Looks like I may be wrong , good or bad sign ?
We just to wait and see how it all unfolds...

I find it very interesting...
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:49 (Ref:3356944)   #71
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
McLaren either haven't found a sponsor they would prefer to work with or they had one Honda wasn't happy with in the long term.
Telmex were indicated by some but if they had a sponsor from a competing teleco that may have been a problem and that may have led to the letting Perez go. I would have preferred they kept him but they obviously had Kevin in the wings and maybe he had an ironclad contract expectation or maybe he really was better in the simulator and they made a decision.
Maybe a new sponsor is online with the Honda engine but the two go together....

Maybe they just need to find one but if so they have a season in which to impress, A season to separate the old livery from a new one with an interim design, or maybe its something to do with the Mercedes engine.... some one who isn't compatible with Mercedes or doesn't want to back a Benz engine car... Who knows
Maybe someone in the Marketing division didn't do a good enough job or maybe through no fault of their own the sponsor reneged on the agreement and dropped out suddenly and that's why there is no announcement, was no announcement in December either..
Old 22 Jan 2014, 04:56 (Ref:3356945)   #72
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Tony Fernandez is saying if they can't score points there is no point in remaining at the back. That is true to a point.

If you looked back at the late 80's & early 90's even teams like Arrows-Footwork, Minardi, Onyx, Leyton House, were able to get into a top ten grid position or snag a top six and a points finish on occasions.

But now we get such a standard of engineering, often centred around a team budget, that you can just about map a season after the preseason testing and your results will not be far wrong unless there is some sort of trip up that stumbles a team.

Maybe Bernie and Todt can devise a point system down to 20th place so at least the lower boys have some points. That would make working out the real 10th team a little fairer to than the present conundrum.
Old 22 Jan 2014, 07:19 (Ref:3356953)   #73
321Go
Veteran

McLaren do have a title sponsor. Apparently, it's a multinational Japanese corporation, who have requested a one year delay to the deal to coincide with the arrival of the Japanese motor.
Sounds like a reasonable request.

Won't effect McLaren at all for 2014 according to Managing Director Jonathan Neale. “McLaren Racing will have a larger operational budget available to it in 2014 than it’s had in any previous season in McLaren’s history.”
Old 22 Jan 2014, 09:36 (Ref:3356992)   #74
321Go
Veteran

Force India's VJM07. Nose has been edited, so not a true indication.

Old 22 Jan 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3356997)   #75
Tucky
Racer

United Kingdom
Brighton
Tucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTucky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
if the nose is altered then there's not much to see, guess this photo is just to show the new livery. I much prefer the old colours to this but at the end of the day the colour isn't going to make the car any better or worse