Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 28 Feb 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2139952)   #26
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko44
If more banking and no restrictor plates at California were put in place the cars would probably be going too fast for Nascar's liking anyway.... they're going almost over 200mph with the banking they have now aren't they??

Seems like I'm the only person on this site who likes the Pocono track

And what is the difference between California and Michigan that makes the Michigan race more exciting???

The back stretch is higher up one one of them I thought, turns out the banking is shallower on California too.

http://nascar.about.com/od/tracks/a/bulldozecali.htm

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 28 Feb 2008, 15:58 (Ref:2140171)   #27
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
Fontana as a plate race would blow chunks, imo. I say, replace it's Feb date at Mexico City. Also, we need more short tracks, imo. Iowa Speedway would be perfect.
I've heard that the combined East/West series race at Iowa made some great racing while the IRL race was a procession. It should certainly have a Nationwide series race at least.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Feb 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2140231)   #28
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
I've heard that the combined East/West series race at Iowa made some great racing while the IRL race was a procession. It should certainly have a Nationwide series race at least.
I agree. Iowa seems to be a cool track....totally a stockcar track and not indy car.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 17:27 (Ref:2140235)   #29
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It also has the greatest camera of all time, in the track surface. I saw it in the 2006 ARCA race and I was .

Daytona cameras this year were good, but a pale imitation when it boils down to it.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 17:28 (Ref:2140236)   #30
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd like to see all the tracks longer than 2 miles other than Pocono (as it's so interesting) scrapped (apart from Daytona and Talladega which can go down to one date) and replace them with road courses and short ovals. All those in favour of NASCAR going to another half miler say aye ...
Old 28 Feb 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2140241)   #31
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I'd like to see all the tracks longer than 2 miles other than Pocono (as it's so interesting) scrapped (apart from Daytona and Talladega which can go down to one date) and replace them with road courses and short ovals. All those in favour of NASCAR going to another half miler say aye ...
i'd like to see more 1/2 mile tracks and road courses, but i also want want tracks that have high speeds and good racing.

they will never race only once/year at Talladega or Daytona. NEVER.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 28 Feb 2008 at 17:52.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 20:06 (Ref:2140306)   #32
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back on topic...
http://www.restrictorplatethis.com/s.../27/141325/283
This makes a good point regarding Nascar and California.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 28 Feb 2008, 21:54 (Ref:2140400)   #33
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Sparky7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79
i'd like to see more 1/2 mile tracks and road courses, but i also want want tracks that have high speeds and good racing.

they will never race only once/year at Talladega or Daytona. NEVER.
I'd love to see more road course races added to the schedule.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 28 Feb 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2140423)   #34
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Back on topic...
diecast dude (author of story) needs to remember that Californians took away Riverside and Ontario Speedways. nobody would have to convince NASCAR to stay in SoCal if those tracks were still around. And would disagree with his/her account of "good racing" on Monday there. it was better than before the COT.

to fix Fontana and all other boring, smooth D-shaped ovals---Graduated Banking. or go back to REAL tracks and let the IRL race there.

Last edited by fieldodreams79; 28 Feb 2008 at 22:19.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 03:10 (Ref:2140573)   #35
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
More road courses and short-tracks would be great from my POV.

I would also love to see a bit of dirt racing brought into it.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 03:12 (Ref:2140575)   #36
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
More road courses and short-tracks would be great from my POV.

I would also love to see a bit of dirt racing brought into it.
Hmmm, DuQuoin anyone?
Old 29 Feb 2008, 10:35 (Ref:2140730)   #37
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Back on topic...
What it doesn't give is a good reason not to have high banking a restrictor plate racing!
Old 29 Feb 2008, 14:25 (Ref:2140904)   #38
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacko44
Seems like I'm the only person on this site who likes the Pocono track
I also like Pocono and hope they keep both dates. It is a unique track and gives us a big break from the cookie cutters. I would however like to see both race run at 400 miles each.

The new 2005 gear rule, which forces teams to use a predetermined gear ratio at each track on the circuit has, IMO, taken away some of the unique skill required at the track. The new ratio NASCAR gave at Pocono meant that everyone would have the same rate of acceleration, and also not require them to shift at several places around the race track, as you would no longer be able to gain an advantage on your competitors. It was fun in the past watching drivers like Rusty who was great at shifting.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2140928)   #39
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i love pocono
flat and those wacky turns, the gear idea yes i think has ruined the track but racing has always been good there and fast.
but only one date is needed at any of these tracks i think- there are too many good venues to keep pounding the same ones...why not update nazareth? and go there? (indycars could use it too)
is the track still aroound
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:08 (Ref:2140996)   #40
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by gttouring
why not update nazareth? and go there? (indycars could use it too)
is the track still aroound
WOW. glad you asked that question cause i had no idea:

"As of May 2007, the grandstands, signage and all visible structures at the racetrack have been removed. The disassembled grandstands were transported to the Watkins Glen track. The track remains fenced off and access to any part of the track or land surrounding it is restricted.....Rumors circulating around the speedway's replacement have included topics as housing complexes, or an also rumored sports arena."

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nazareth_Speedway

that's a shame...very much like Phoenix; never been a fan of that track either. they raced some Sportsman & Truck Series races there. more of an indy track...but a different venue that would lend to decent racing.
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:42 (Ref:2141019)   #41
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
What has happened to Nazareth is very sad. It was a beautiful track in a very beautiful area. It provided great racing with it's odd shape, elevations and narrow width. The old Busch series and CTS series ran some great races there. On the minus side it was only accessible by way of a two-lane country road. Getting in and out was a nightmare.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 29 Feb 2008, 17:45 (Ref:2141020)   #42
Sparky7
Rookie

United States
Poconos PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
I also like Pocono and hope they keep both dates. It is a unique track and gives us a big break from the cookie cutters. I would however like to see both race run at 400 miles each.

The new 2005 gear rule, which forces teams to use a predetermined gear ratio at each track on the circuit has, IMO, taken away some of the unique skill required at the track. The new ratio NASCAR gave at Pocono meant that everyone would have the same rate of acceleration, and also not require them to shift at several places around the race track, as you would no longer be able to gain an advantage on your competitors. It was fun in the past watching drivers like Rusty who was great at shifting.
I have to agree on the gear rule and it's relation to driver skill. 400 miles at Pocono would be plenty.

~~~Barb~~~
Old 16 Mar 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2153798)   #43
botsquad
Veteran

botsquad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
trying be the dega of the west..bad idea..

better..try to be bristol west.