Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:35 (Ref:2114750)   #276
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Slow last lap for 01?

Edit: Caution, explains it.

Could be bad for the overheating that...
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:40 (Ref:2114754)   #277
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
01 in pits
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:41 (Ref:2114755)   #278
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what happened to car 61?
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:45 (Ref:2114757)   #279
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
While I certainly understand the need for some yellow flags and caution periods, what they do at Daytona is ridiculous. I believe the LeMans way is much better and you certainly get the better teams racing at the top of the leaderboard. At Daytona, they seem to try to contrive close racing by constantly bunching up the field with cautions.

Seems like the top 5 a few hours ago was mostly Porsche powered cars and now they are all gone!!! Could it be a third in a row for Ganassi? Those guys seem to understand the way to run this race. Just hang around close to the top (the cautions won't let you drop back too far) and they go for it in the last few hours.

DK
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2114759)   #280
Boro
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
While I certainly understand the need for some yellow flags and caution periods, what they do at Daytona is ridiculous. I believe the LeMans way is much better and you certainly get the better teams racing at the top of the leaderboard. At Daytona, they seem to try to contrive close racing by constantly bunching up the field with cautions.

DK
That's the NASCAR way
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2114760)   #281
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is that rain I see?
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2114763)   #282
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxk1
Daytona has almost 70 cars on 3.5 miles, not 55 on 8 miles, it's a bit different...
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:55 (Ref:2114766)   #283
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is all NASCAR's fault. I'm going to sit here, watching the race, and complain about yellows because I honestly never saw them coming. Not once.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2114769)   #284
Boro
Racer

Oh gimme a break. In all forms of racing that I follow, these guys are the worst when it comes to knee-jerk FC yellows.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:57 (Ref:2114770)   #285
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King
Daytona has almost 70 cars on 3.5 miles, not 55 on 8 miles, it's a bit different...
We all understand that and realize that it is different. My point is, at Daytona, they will put out a yellow flag for a blown tire while at LeMans, sometimes they won't even put out a full course caution when someone goes off the track and bends up their car. There's just a difference in philosophy. At LeMans, they feel the most prepared, most reliable, best driven car should win. At Daytona, the idea is just to keep everybody close so the race is exciting. I suppose both have their place.

DK
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2114772)   #286
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro
Oh gimme a break. In all forms of racing that I follow, these guys are the worst when it comes to knee-jerk FC yellows.
I don't care for the yellow flags either, I too think it is too much at times.

However there has been enough to keep me interested.

And most series in the world have inexplicable yellow flags/safety cars etc... it is an annoyance that has to be dealt with I am afraid.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:59 (Ref:2114775)   #287
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ok we are back live on Eurosport.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:02 (Ref:2114777)   #288
Boro
Racer

I just think people were spoiled from last year's Daytona race

This year seems somewhat normal for an endurance race with the attrition rate and cautions.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2114782)   #289
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Wow! What happended to the Porsches? Now the highest Porsche is the TRG car in 11th place and they're even in second place in GT.

DK
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:10 (Ref:2114784)   #290
SebringMG
Veteran

United Kingdom
SebringMG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Crowd is not as big as i expected......
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:11 (Ref:2114785)   #291
Boro
Racer

They're all in the infield.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:20 (Ref:2114792)   #292
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebringMG
Crowd is not as big as i expected......
Capacity crowd in the infield. I wouldn't want to watch a 24hr race from the grandstands either.....
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2114800)   #293
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
The Grand-Am live timing site would greatly benefit by having some type of designation as to whether a car is in the pits or out and having all cars officially out of the race marked as such. The only way to tell now is to keep track of the lap counter and notice that it doesn't change in the normal lap times. That's not easy to do for ~70 cars!!

DK
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2114802)   #294
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Top job by JPM again. Hopefully the car stays reliable in the (usually) safe hands of Pruett.

Carlton Kirby making some truly disturbing comments.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:41 (Ref:2114803)   #295
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
Looks like Gurney is gaining on Montoya by about 5 seconds a lap. Some quick math says, it takes about 20 laps to gain one lap and it takes about 40 minutes to run 20 laps, so Gurney is going to come up a lap short.

DK
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2114806)   #296
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Yeah, but if it got close they'd run faster laptimes in the 01. Just controlling the gap at the moment.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2114807)   #297
Boro
Racer

01 is running 1.50's to save the car.

Pretty sure they can turn it up when and if necessary.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 16:53 (Ref:2114810)   #298
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the damaged car comes to stop in a bad place that car needs to be moved. and damaged Carbon Fibre pieces are very sharp and cause many tire punctures. Better to though the yellow and clean the track then have major carnage.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 17:02 (Ref:2114815)   #299
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
If the damaged car comes to stop in a bad place that car needs to be moved. and damaged Carbon Fibre pieces are very sharp and cause many tire punctures. Better to though the yellow and clean the track then have major carnage.
If you go by that then every single race (involving cars with carbon tubs) in Europe should end in total chaos.

It doesn't

It doesn't even cause a massive number of punctures
Old 27 Jan 2008, 17:12 (Ref:2114820)   #300
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_nl
If you go by that then every single race (involving cars with carbon tubs) in Europe should end in total chaos.

It doesn't

It doesn't even cause a massive number of punctures
It did in the last Grand Am race of last season, and put out one championship contender, so I guess they are a little cautios this time, as they took quite a lot of flak for not throwing a FCY at that race.