Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Jun 2002, 16:20 (Ref:317705)   #1
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Say it isnt so

Michael Schumacher will be kept in touch with Germany's World Cup quarter-final clash with the United States - by having the score flash up on his Ferrari steering wheel.

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/020620/4/d1kwc.html

Well if he hits a barrier in practice we know that US scored! I can only hope; no, not that he hits a barrier but that his team loses. Though its highly unlikely. Then again this is not F1 so anything can happen.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 17:15 (Ref:317723)   #2
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Re: Say it isnt so

Quote:
Originally posted by neilap

Well if he hits a barrier in practice we know that US scored!
Old 20 Jun 2002, 17:58 (Ref:317750)   #3
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Say it isnt so

Quote:
Well if he hits a barrier in practice we know that US scored! I can only hope; no, not that he hits a barrier but that his team loses. Though its highly unlikely. Then again this is not F1 so anything can happen.
Even though you don't really wish for him to hit the barrier, but by the way you describe if that happens could very well mean you want something like that to happen. To hate him is one thing but to wish for another human being to end up that may hurt him is really uncalled for...sorry if i sounded like i'm pickin on you but i just have to express about how i feel about this.

With Schneider and Klose in the team and Kahn manning the goalpost, Germany will go to the semi final and we'll see Michael gets fired up each time the team scores
Old 20 Jun 2002, 18:09 (Ref:317756)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Get a grip Juke, he retracted his comment in the next phrase. There is NO need to get fired up.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 18:12 (Ref:317758)   #5
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hey EERO

Has the World Cup made it onto TV in the US yet seeing you are now offcially in the top eight in the world (but don't tell the Italians -they seem sore-issimo! )
Old 20 Jun 2002, 18:27 (Ref:317768)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I dont wish evil on anyone physically. I also dont want to see Ferrari's break. What I would like to see is everyone become better than them.
I just think the fact that he will be doing close to 200mph and checking football (soccer) scores is more than a little dangerous.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 19:42 (Ref:317802)   #7
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
I get what you really mean neilap, the man likes football a lot and it's his passion other than racing.

Old 20 Jun 2002, 19:45 (Ref:317803)   #8
BBKing
Veteran

BBKing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Jukebox
I get what you really mean neilap, the man likes football a lot and it's his passion other than racing.

That is why I am going to celebrate when Germany fails to advance.
Old 20 Jun 2002, 19:55 (Ref:317811)   #9
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
not in a million years BBKing my man....
Old 21 Jun 2002, 01:55 (Ref:317999)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That's the only thing I share in common with TGF - supporting the German soccer team.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 03:40 (Ref:318021)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The levels of concentration would seem to be thr real point here.

Some years ago I heard a story related to radio transmissions and the way they can get into the wrong places. (Like telephone conversations being heard on vacuum cleaners). Brands Hatch 1982, during qualifying a call came for more burger buns to post 7(?). After a few minutes the caller became more desperate and called again using the international language to emphasis the point. He got his reply when a certain Ayrton Senna responded saying "I'm going as fast as I "£$%^& can!".
Old 21 Jun 2002, 04:32 (Ref:318036)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just realised, I got my dates wrong. It was 1985.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 08:37 (Ref:318093)   #13
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm...... shall we presume that Jenson will severily underperform in the first practice session? And Rubens, Felipe and Enrique will either celebrate or top the timesheets? .... There's a terrifying rumor that rapidly spreads around............
Old 21 Jun 2002, 15:54 (Ref:318260)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Well while MS was watching the score in a game that Germany looked no better than average, we were also watching the German show. Never have I seen so much of HHF, Williams, Mac and of course MS. I guess Teams like Minardi which rarely ever get any air time will be better off just watching the race. At least now I am prepared.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 15:57 (Ref:318262)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is there some kind of race this weekend?
Old 21 Jun 2002, 16:00 (Ref:318266)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No sorry Liz, the Cart series resumes next weekend.

There will however be a parade of overpriced cars driven by overpaid drivers on Sunday morning on a circuit that is near a circuit that was once used to race cars on.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 21 Jun 2002, 16:52 (Ref:318290)   #17
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
badum-dump (that was supposed to be the sound of a drum-sound-after-the punch-line-bit for the two of you.)
Old 21 Jun 2002, 20:20 (Ref:318389)   #18
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had on the F1 practice this morning while getting the kids ready for school. Halfway into it the U.S. /Germany World Cup match started. I asked the kids if they wanted me to switch to the soccer game. "Yeah, dad, this practice is boring!" I was feeling the same way.

Don't much like professional football/soccer, however. Lovers of the sport talk of a beautiful game with "flow." What flow? It seems like the refs stop play for penalties every 30 seconds. The dirty play that isn't penalized and the fake dives that do draw fouls are an embarrassment. There is no other sport -- at least no sport that doesn't depend on judges awarding marks -- that is more controlled (in both general play and final outcome) by the refs than pro football/soccer.

So the U.S. loses to the German dive team. Big deal; I didn't really care one way or another. F1 isn't the only sport with sportsmanship issues.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 21:31 (Ref:318450)   #19
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by eatapc
What flow? It seems like the refs stop play for penalties every 30 seconds.
Well, in what little I've seen of American Football, they seem to be stopping play a lot more often than in soccer, more like every 5 seconds.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay
a circuit that is near a circuit that was once used to race cars on.
It's an embarassment that that circuit is called the "Nurburgring". What a joke. It doesn't hold a candle to the old circuit. They really should have given it a different name.

---

Anyone think that the reason qualifying will be 45 minutes earlier tomorrow is the World Cup? Qualifying usually starts at 1 pm local time, but this time, it starts 12:15 pm. Is the reason that there's a soccer match at 1:30 pm?
Old 21 Jun 2002, 21:52 (Ref:318467)   #20
eatapc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by R
Well, in what little I've seen of American Football, they seem to be stopping play a lot more often than in soccer, more like every 5 seconds.
Correct you are, sir! And baseball is, if anything, even worse. I'm not trying to defend those sports here -- they have their own extensive list of pros and cons -- but to point out that what is supposed to be one of the great things about world football is simply not true at the sport's highest levels. The game has very little flow, and is entirely dictated by referees -- along with players trying to cheat to gain an advantage. I find it aggravating to watch -- helps me understand why fans are often in an angry and riotous mood after a loss. But hey, many of my friends don't understand how I can watch car racing. One of my best friends is English and he (with his son) lives and dies with Manchester United. He's a wonderful person in every other way.

Last edited by eatapc; 21 Jun 2002 at 21:55.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 22:04 (Ref:318474)   #21
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Yes the world cup is affecting F1.

Sportsmanship issues?? Can we say basketball, baseball and football the three biggest sports in the US? If fact drawing a fowl in basketball is praised, even if it means diving. Yes soccer does have its issues but it is way more popular than any of the other sports mentioned above. Are all these people wrong? This sounds to me like a sore loser. I wanted US to win, but Germany, though they did not look particularly impressive, still was stronger than the US. They did what they had to do. If you do not understand or have never played the sport it might explain your ignorance. I am not attacking you so lets not get a "hissy fit". Its funny that someone would attempt to discredit the most popular sport in the world because he does not understand it.

By the way was that post out of line?
Old 21 Jun 2002, 22:23 (Ref:318486)   #22
eatapc
Veteran

Quote:
If you do not understand or have never played the sport it might explain your ignorance. I am not attacking you so lets not get a "hissy fit". Its funny that someone would attempt to discredit the most popular sport in the world because he does not understand it. By the way was that post out of line?
Actually, yes, it was out of line. You are attacking me personally rather than the arguments I made, which is specifically against forum rules. You seem to have a problem with me, and life is too short to hold grudges like that. Why don't you just put me on your ignore list and live happily ever after?

To respond, briefly. Yes, I played soccer. My brother coached at the high school level. Two of my best friends in high school were soccer fanatics. One of them is the soccer coach at the University of South Carolina, and has trained several of Americas best players. I used to attend NY Cosmos games weekly back in the 70s and 80s. I actually used to love soccer when I was younger. I'm over it now. You may not agree with my assessment of the pro game, but don't accuse me of being ignorant just because you got annoyed at me in the past.
Old 21 Jun 2002, 23:00 (Ref:318514)   #23
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I don't have any issues with you at all. In fact I find you humorous. I don't pretend to know it all and I try not to impose my will will on others. However if I do get under your skin then maybe you should take some of your own advise. You sounded off your mouth about a post I made once and I told you how I felt about you and your infinite wisdom. To me that was finished.

You just always sound so critical and angry. There I go again... Ok, I am sorry. I don't mean to offend you or anyone here. So lets just drop this. Agreed? After all, we here all share one thing in common; the love for F1 which we should really be discussing. I guess we just will never be drinking buddies but there is not reason to be hostile, right?
Old 21 Jun 2002, 23:46 (Ref:318526)   #24
kwd
Racer

kwd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Germany won,Michael Schumacher is still alive,all is well.
Old 22 Jun 2002, 00:21 (Ref:318535)   #25
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Well, Michael being alive is fine but I was really hoping for a World Cup upset. Hmm, well maybe Hondas new motor will put them on pole and help them to their first podium finish. That would make up for the disappointment. Ok, fine, that is even less likely than the US winning the World Cup.