Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 28 Jul 2003, 13:26 (Ref:673295)   #1
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing Rivals

Was actually rather good - for those that don't know its a TV programme based on the SEAT Cupra race series. I think Natlie Barretts gonna come in for some stick though...
Old 28 Jul 2003, 14:20 (Ref:673347)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it stank - typical ITV rubbish.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 14:30 (Ref:673358)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I must admit I thought it was pretty poor. My expectations were low and ITV failed to meet them - so no change there then. Suffice to say I won't be watching again.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 15:43 (Ref:673417)   #4
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Saw them racing at Oulton 2 weeks or so ago. They're competitive that's for sure. And I think the amount of money and coverage going into it should help the more successful drivers launch a genuine tin top career.

Saw most of the programme on Sunday - I don't know what some of you guys are expecting, but I didn't think it was too bad. However, it does seem to follow the latest trend of dumbing it down somewhat for non-racing fans and not actually including that much racing...

As for Natalie, at Oulton she looked like she might be getting the hang of it. I'd like to see any of that grid keep up with her in a rally car...
Old 28 Jul 2003, 17:11 (Ref:673484)   #5
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Motorsport in general can be boring on the TV for the general public. I think this is what Seat realised and therefore billed it as a documentary type programme that makes more of the characters in the sport to follow them through thick and thin.

If you turned on expecting racing you'd be dissapointed, but I wasn't so therefore quite liked the programme as a whole. They do seem to have several favourites already though...
(oh and does Stefan Hodgetts always sound like he's got the cold or something ?? )
Old 28 Jul 2003, 17:29 (Ref:673498)   #6
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
(oh and does Stefan Hodgetts always sound like he's got the cold or something ?? )
Yes, but he's a top bloke... ;-)

ITV show was boring. The actual SEAT racing watching from trackside is a lot more entertaining.

Well worth the trip to Rockingham next weekend. (It's also free to get in!!!!) Seems to be billed as the headline event along with The Sugarbabes. F3/GT not mentioned(!)
Old 28 Jul 2003, 18:34 (Ref:673580)   #7
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am looking forward to seeing them race at the Rock.
The prog does seem to focus on just a few....
Old 28 Jul 2003, 21:28 (Ref:673713)   #8
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw the programme on Sunday. I was slightly concerned for the woman (can't remember her name) who didn't know what the flags meant!

Just waiting for my Rockingham tickets to come through the post. I'm really looking forward to it. It's my first trip up there so it should be fun.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 06:38 (Ref:673914)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saw the ITV1 program on Saturday it was OK, but the program on ITV2 was a lot better.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 08:08 (Ref:673976)   #10
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ITV2 programmes are a 60 min expanded version of the ITV show.I did not like the way Natalie Barrett was treated.She is an experienced rally driver with some previous race experience.I don't believe she did not know the flag signals,though maybe the green flag was not in use when she last raced?

Last edited by Rob29; 29 Jul 2003 at 08:09.
Old 29 Jul 2003, 09:32 (Ref:674057)   #11
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
for anyone going to Rockingham. I have created a Rockingham race guide showing form, current points, pics of all the cars with sponsor/colour combinationsetc etc.

email me @ andyb@seatcupra.net and i'll email the link to the pdf
Old 29 Jul 2003, 11:02 (Ref:674148)   #12
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well I've spoken to a number of non racers and they found it enjoyable TV. (note: motorsport - enjoyable) I think this is very positive indeed
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:29 (Ref:674228)   #13
spanner
Veteran

United Kingdom
Mid Beds, "The UK's rubbish dump"
spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The commentator did say it was her first race in 11 years, but how hard is learning what the flags mean.

As for the programme, i watched sundays but they did seem to make it out as though it was a demolition derby rather than a race, nevermind that it seemed that half the field shoulod have been black flagged for dangerous driving
Old 29 Jul 2003, 12:47 (Ref:674256)   #14
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
It will be interesting to see the Oulton coverage - perhaps they will have an explanation for their disgraceful behaviour.........
Old 29 Jul 2003, 15:49 (Ref:674407)   #15
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
disgraceful behaviour - go on?
Old 29 Jul 2003, 18:06 (Ref:674519)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by ss_collins
disgraceful behaviour - go on?
Most of the races had been shortened & the last race of the day cancelled, which meant the second SEAT race then became the last race of the day. The SEAT drivers, having requested a second green flag lap, ostensibly to 'bed in new brake pads', then proceeded to drive very slowly on their green flag laps. I don't know the point they were trying to make, but they certainly succeeded in losing the respect of the marshals &, I hope, the speccies.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 08:58 (Ref:675053)   #17
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
how odd... This makes me want to watch it even more...
Old 30 Jul 2003, 14:41 (Ref:675360)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
dont know all the details, but I read that the cars were given new pads for the second race due to serious brake fade problems.

Last edited by andy_b; 30 Jul 2003 at 14:42.
Old 30 Jul 2003, 15:45 (Ref:675421)   #19
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wasn't Stefan Hodgetts accident something to do with failed brakes ? Same happened to Gavin Smith pre season but Seat disagreed!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 19:47 (Ref:675655)   #20
Muppet
Racer

Stefan's brakes failed at Knickerbrook but still carried on "hoping they would work at Lodge". They didn't and he had a very big off.

The SEATs were very badly behaved at Oulton and were the number one reason why the marshals didn't get a lunchbreak on Saturday and Sunday's timetable didn't work.

With the Rockingham scenery a lot harder (concrete) than Oulton's bouncy tyre walls, trees and fluffy bunny rabbits, maybe they will behave this time... then again, fat chance!

Colour chart? If it's a rear view then that's easy. They're all green with Holiday Inn plastered all over them!
Old 30 Jul 2003, 21:19 (Ref:675741)   #21
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Out of curiosity, does Seat pay for the car if it's a technical failure that leads to it being written off ?
Old 31 Jul 2003, 17:19 (Ref:676479)   #22
Muppet
Racer

Dunno. Haven't seen the regs for the SEATs. The Maserati things at the GP I do know about... The "dealer" (who the driver is contracted to) gets charged 5000 EURO for 1st major accident, 7500 EURO for 2nd and 10,000 EURO for 3rd. All excess is absorbed by Maserati. Judging by the driving standards at the GP, Maserati should be bankrupt by now. ;-)
Old 31 Jul 2003, 19:41 (Ref:676598)   #23
alfa57
Rookie

alfa57 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All drivers must have a £1500 damage excess paid at the start of each meeting. The first £1500 of repairs comes out of that - the rest is down to SEAT
Old 31 Jul 2003, 22:58 (Ref:676731)   #24
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Jeez thats another good whack on top of the £75k entry fee isn't it!
Old 1 Aug 2003, 06:05 (Ref:676828)   #25
Les
Veteran

Kenya
Suffolk,UK
Les should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but presumably - no damage and you get your money back?

Seat seem to know all the pitfalls and have got all the money up front. Therefore we shouldn't have any dropouts and they don't get stung with the 'can't afford to repair it' syndrome.

Last edited by Les; 1 Aug 2003 at 06:07.