Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 3 Oct 2001, 17:21 (Ref:155385)   #1
Nick Sanderson
Rookie

Nick Sanderson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Question for XR fans/racers in the English series

Guys,

As most of you will probably know, I race in the Scottish XR2 championships. There have been rumours saying that in a couple of years the series may be scrapped etc, although we still have 30+ entries at each meeting at present.

My question is to the fans & racers in the English version of the series. What is the view down there? Have there been any problems regarding reduced grids etc? Any rumours for the forseable future?

I'm just interested as I personally can see the Scottish series running for a good 5+ years as long as we still get people starting out in the series (which is of course great for the sport in general)

Cheers,
Nick
www.ns-r.co.uk
Old 3 Oct 2001, 21:49 (Ref:155565)   #2
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I've not seen the XR2's race yet, but i think XR2's are great and if i was going to start saloon racing I'd start in an XR2 or Mk3 XR2i

ps: my road car is an XR2i and its on my webby

WoodyRacing
Old 4 Oct 2001, 18:44 (Ref:155906)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nick,

You must have a surplus of XR2's in Scotland.. From what I've seen in England from XR2 / Stock and Hot Hatch races, usually one car dies in a big way at evey round... soon enough you're going to run out. These cars are raced hard with plenty of contact.
Old 5 Oct 2001, 07:09 (Ref:156143)   #4
Nick Sanderson
Rookie

Dan,

I myself managed to completely write off my car last season by shortening it quite a bit and twisting the roof!

This season, amazingly no one has managed to completely total a car although there have been some significant bills. Last season I would guess that around eight cars were totalled.

Condsidering that these cars are 10+ years old now, they still stand up to a lot contact, the beauty being that most replacement parts are relatively cheap.

It is becoming more difficult to find good shell thesedays though..

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 16 Oct 2001, 07:24 (Ref:161275)   #5
Dom
Racer

United Kingdom
Rayleigh, Essex
Dom should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I race in the Ford Saloon Car Championship which is organised by the same folks that bring you the Ford XR Challenge, so we get to see quite a lot of the XR's. Plenty of cars on the grid but the XR3i's seem to be dying out - maybe that's because there slower than the XR2's, but could also as mentioned be due to the rather aggressive driving style!
Old 26 Oct 2001, 14:07 (Ref:165851)   #6
Flagman
Racer

Flagman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The XR2 series seems to have been suffering frpm smaller grids this season - It may be a result of one or two drivers being over aggressive and causing quite a bit of carnage

One driver in particular caused a lot of trouble earlier in the season but he seems to have vanished from the scene - so perhaps it might pick up again next year if he doesn't return.

I seem to recall the Scottish guys suffering quite a lot of damage when you visited Oulton Park in 2000...
Old 26 Oct 2001, 14:42 (Ref:165864)   #7
Nick Sanderson
Rookie

Flagman, you are correct, although this wasn't even in our race! We were allowed to enter the English race but since we had a meeting the next weekend, it seemed too much of a risk for a meaningless race.

Unfortunately, one of our guys (Alex Knight) decided to enter the English race, got tapped into a spin a Old Hall and got collected by pretty much the entire field!

One completely totalled car. To add insult to injury, he borrowed another car for the Knockhill race the next week and got involved in another big accident and totalled another one!

Definately an expensive week for him.

We are still getting entries in the region of 30+ XR2's in the Scottish series so all is still well up here.

Cheers,
Nick.