Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Aug 2006, 16:46 (Ref:1687483)   #1
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Marco Andretti ready for F1 in 2008, says Mario

Grandfather Mario thinks Marco has the right stuff for F1 -- and could arrive as soon as 2008. Perhaps so, and let us hope his arrival is more carefully planned and managed than was Michael's.

See the full story at: http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.a...37058&PO=37058
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:12 (Ref:1687512)   #2
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Maybe he's right, but only if he does a road course series very successfully in 2007. No need to rush him, he's still young and inexperienced.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:14 (Ref:1687519)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marco has car control to die for, I know I've said it before but he reminds me a lot of Montoya in Champcar. OK, IRL cars are less powerful than those cars were and all, but he is still very good.

I'd love to see him in F1, although after traction control makes a disappearance.

A season or two in Champcar would be decent preparation.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:45 (Ref:1687553)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now a kid to get the family name where it deserves to be in F1.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1687555)   #5
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Marco has car control to die for, I know I've said it before but he reminds me a lot of Montoya in Champcar. OK, IRL cars are less powerful than those cars were and all, but he is still very good. I'd love to see him in F1, although after traction control makes a disappearance.
I watched his work in the 500, and then at the Glen. He could be the real thing. I am certain that Mario will make sure that he does not repeat Michael's mistakes in F1.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 18:11 (Ref:1687573)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Blazing around ovals does almost nothing to help an F1 career. So 2 years in the irl then right into F1 without testing? Yeah right. Sounds like these people never learned.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 18:21 (Ref:1687581)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They are Andretti aren't they ? Hopefully he's not like his father.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 18:26 (Ref:1687586)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Michael never really got a fair shot at it to be honest. Not helped by his own quirks of course.

A fantastic driver was made to look an idiot.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1687600)   #9
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

He might had not a fair shot, but he clearly made fireworks at McLaren...
Old 20 Aug 2006, 18:51 (Ref:1687617)   #10
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Blazing around ovals does almost nothing to help an F1 career. So 2 years in the irl then right into F1 without testing? Yeah right. Sounds like these people never learned.
Totally agree about the IRL, but from what I've read that's not going to happen.

At one time there was talk of him doing GP2, which would have been good for learnng the circuits and the routine of an F1 weekend, but the latest news seems to be that it will definitely be Champ Cars. He should be very strong in that and it would be a good boost for the series.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 19:21 (Ref:1687655)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A season in GP2 running some A1 events would have been a smarter move than Champ Cars.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 19:39 (Ref:1687675)   #12
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Agreed. Maybe it's still time to change it.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 03:01 (Ref:1687836)   #13
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If he goes to Champcar will AndrettiGreen racing also move to Champcar?

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 21 Aug 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1687933)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think 2010 might be a bit more realistic for young Marco... First time we've had the grandson of a former champion in F1?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:37 (Ref:1687966)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I think it terms of just getting road racing mileage champ car would be as good as GP2.

Champ cars are more powerful and might end up being quite close to the F1 cars we see in few years anyway if they turn out to be more 'basic'

Ok, so GP2 is better for learning Euro circuits, but he'd need to come in and do a 2 years stint as that series is so strong he'd struggle to mount a title assault in yr 1.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:50 (Ref:1687976)   #16
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, he is only 19 so there is time to do not only IRL/GP1 or 2, but any number of things.

Is IRL enough to train him for F1 - no - and even Mario has said that. Does the kid appear to have the goods to at least try to give it a shot, I think so. By the way, Mario drove on one heck of a lot more ovals than road courses while he was "learning" his trade...

There was an interesting quote in the 20 August New York Times by Marco. I would post a link, but I get the actual paper version of the paper. Anyway, this is just a paraphrase but Marco said father Michael drove "in fear of losing" while he and his grandfather drive for "the joy of winning." Telling how the public's expectations came to weigh on Michael.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1688015)   #17
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Is IRL enough to train him for F1 - no - and even Mario has said that. Does the kid appear to have the goods to at least try to give it a shot, I think so. By the way, Mario drove on one heck of a lot more ovals than road courses while he was "learning" his trade.
Mario has also said that Marco seems to be a natural road racer. BTW, Aldo and Mario drove on many dirt tracks in a variety of cars during their 'training' period. That old man from Argentina cut his teeth on dirt roads driving an old Chevy. All roads lead to Rome.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1688051)   #18
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
One wonders what would have happened if Aldo had not been injured - a family racing record perhaps unmatched in the sport...sigh, what if....

Seriously though, being well-rounded never hurt anyone. If running laps at 219 mph in traffic do not provide some valuable experience (or at least a measure of relative focus), nothing will.

I would like to see him get a bit more sprts car exposure (LeMans, anyone?) and certainly some higher-level open wheel work in Europe would be lovely.

Funny, for as much as racing on dirt is looked down upon, how many of the greats cut their teeth doing so? Even oval racing "back in the day" was big and perusing a list of those who ran at Brooklands one would find a number of those folks on the grids at various times.

How they laughed when AL Foyt went to LeMans...best American to have not gotten a start in an F1 car.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 11:32 (Ref:1688054)   #19
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
and that should be: "AJ" Foyt...
Old 21 Aug 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1688095)   #20
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
... "AJ" Foyt...
John - I think that some of the years AJ ran Indy, it was on the FIA's WDC list. Foyt was like Andretti - he won in anything he drove - something I wonder if today's highly paid drivers could do - or would do. I would like to see today's F1 drivers also run at Le Mans, Sebring, Daytona, etc. in sports cars, and then perhaps switch to the high speed ovals in Champ/IRL, and then run NASCAR at Talladega, Atlanta, Daytona, and Rockingham. That would produce a real world driving champion.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 01:51 (Ref:1688420)   #21
deejay
Veteran

New Zealand
deejay has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Speaking of winning, I'd just like to remind everyone that Marco hasn't even won in IRL yet.

I agree has looked good at times, but another season in IRL won't hurt him.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 05:24 (Ref:1688467)   #22
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
John - I think that some of the years AJ ran Indy, it was on the FIA's WDC list. Foyt was like Andretti - he won in anything he drove - something I wonder if today's highly paid drivers could do - or would do. I would like to see today's F1 drivers also run at Le Mans, Sebring, Daytona, etc. in sports cars, and then perhaps switch to the high speed ovals in Champ/IRL, and then run NASCAR at Talladega, Atlanta, Daytona, and Rockingham. That would produce a real world driving champion.
You need to add the RAC, 1000 Lakes, Acropolis and possibly Dakar to get a real WDC.
Old 22 Aug 2006, 12:53 (Ref:1688710)   #23
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
I agree deejay, Marco has not won in the IRL yet. Proving what? Kimi never turned a wheel in F3000 and it seems he might just be able to stick with an F1 team.

Now I am NOT saying the talent level is the same. I have no way of really knowing. Just saying that many things have happened in the past where drivers did not follow the "normal" progression.

I think you may be right Rex, AJ had some early starts at Indy that may cover that time period. If so, then he is definitely on the list. What a hoot he would have been at Eau Rouge in a late '60s or early '70s F1 car - or one of the turbo cars. I can hear the interview now: "AJ, were you flatout in Eau Rouge?" AJ: "Hell, I was flatout everywhere, don't make no difference what name they give the corner."

Y'all think JPM was "forceful."
Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:00 (Ref:1688720)   #24
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I think you may be right Rex, AJ had some early starts at Indy that may cover that time period. If so, then he is definitely on the list. What a hoot he would have been at Eau Rouge in a late '60s or early '70s F1 car - or one of the turbo cars. I can hear the interview now: "AJ, were you flatout in Eau Rouge?" AJ: "Hell, I was flatout everywhere, don't make no difference what name they give the corner." Y'all think JPM was "forceful."
Yes indeed. There were many drivers that were afraid of some tracks. I think there were some tracks that were afraid of AJ!
Old 22 Aug 2006, 13:23 (Ref:1688735)   #25
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Completely off-topic, I know but this is cool about AJ: His daddy built him a mini sprint-type car when AJ was a kid. AJ would drive it 'round the house. The house had gouges in the wood at each corner where AJ would clip the house as he made the corner.

Now that, my young friends is "committing to the corner!" I mean, when you are willing as a child to take on a house then for darn sure there are tracks that are STILL afraid of ole AJ!