Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Nov 2002, 19:36 (Ref:427226)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ALMS Cars to Run Demonstration in Mexico

AMERICAN LE MANS CARS TO RUN EXHIBITION LAPS IN MEXICO DURING CART WEEKEND

BRASELTON, Ga. (November 12, 2002) – A pair of Prototype sports cars from the American Le Mans Series will run exhibition laps this weekend at the Autodromo Hermanos Rodriguez in Mexico City to give fans a preview of the
series event scheduled at the rejuvenated road racing venue in 2003. The circuit will officially re-open by hosting the CART FedEx Championship Series for Grand Premio Telmex/Gigante presented by Banamex/Visa this weekend. A large crowd is expected at the historic track, which previously hosted the Mexican round of the Formula One World Championship and has undergone a massive revitalization project to make it one of the world’s top
racing circuits. Former Formula One and CART star Stefan Johansson of Sweden will drive the Champion Racing Audi R8 in the American Le Mans Series exhibitions in Mexico
City. Young American driver Gunnar Jeannette will be in a Panoz LMP-01 for the exhibitions, which will take place on all days of track activity. The Panoz was the first car of any kind to turn laps on the circuit when it was driven by ALMS star David Brabham on Nov. 5. When they are not on the track, the two American Le Mans Series cars will be available for fans to see in the track’s garage area. The ALMS will hold its event at the circuit Apr. 4-6, 2003.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 19:38 (Ref:427227)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very cool... This CART-IMSA alliance is going to be the best thing that's happened to either in years.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 19:43 (Ref:427234)   #3
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent, this is just the type of thing that was suggested in the "How to Make CART Better" thread. Hopefully, CART will do the same thing at some ALMS events.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 19:45 (Ref:427237)   #4
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a great idea. Seeing a couple champ cars in some demo laps, head to head, would be great at ALMS events, also good for getting some new drivers the opps to get in the cars for a bit.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 20:03 (Ref:427248)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I hope that the ALMS can become a big "hit" in Mexico, opening the door for potential future sponsorship. I notice that they aren't racing the circuit with CART next year, ala Miami, as the latter series brings its circus to town in October.
Old 12 Nov 2002, 23:59 (Ref:427406)   #6
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is a great move. Tiresmoke I like your idea of having Champ Cars run an exibition at an ALMS race. It wouldn't matter if it was one of last years cars with someone driving that may not have a ride. The exposure would still be valuable. This year guys like Max or Memo would like the seat time and keep their names out there.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 01:33 (Ref:427454)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't it be fun to have them run at Mosport? Not very likely, I admit, as it's not a really good track for Champ Cars... but wouldn't it be fun?

The most sensible idea would be to have the Champ Cars run in Washington DC. That would be the audience we want to reach!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 06:52 (Ref:427541)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If there isn't a tie-up between CART and ALMS soon, I'm reading this entire thing wrong!

I think an alliance between the two would be perfect, and would help fight off ISC and the Invisibles.
Old 13 Nov 2002, 13:39 (Ref:427758)   #9
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
I notice that they aren't racing the circuit with CART next year, ala Miami, as the latter series brings its circus to town in October.
No, they've got much bigger plans for this one. It would seem as if Don P believes this could be a marquee event for the ALMS. I don't know if they've decided on the length, but last I heard it was another 10h/1000mi event.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Nov 2002, 13:52 (Ref:427768)   #10
Liz
Veteran

When is the Miami race, sometime in April isn't it? A good tune-up for Le Mans if they do make it 10 hours. (Maybe the Spyker will even come!)
Old 13 Nov 2002, 17:05 (Ref:427898)   #11
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Liz, did you mean Mexico instead of Miami?

ALMS:
March 13-15 - Sebring
April 4-6 - Mexico
May 4 - Le Mans PQ
May - Europe TBA
June 14-15 - The Main Event
June 27-29 - Washington
September 26-27 - Miami (twinned with CART)
October 15-18 - PLM

CART:

April 28 - Europe (track TBA)
May 4 - Rockingham
May 18 - Chicago (tentative)

You know what, if CART could switch the April 28 and May 18 date, they could hook up with the ALMS in Europe. Wouldn't that be cool? Spa 6h ALMS with CART running Saturday...

Last edited by paul-collins; 13 Nov 2002 at 17:09.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 13 Nov 2002, 18:00 (Ref:427959)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Yes, I think I got my "M" races mixed up. Thanks for that.

Spa with the ALMS and Champ Cars together -- would that not make some people turn pale sickly (Andretti-)Green ...

And besides if Max doesn't get a drive in one series he can get one in the other and keep his foot in both camps ...

I LIKE IT!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 18:20 (Ref:427977)   #13
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In addition to mutual exposure...

These can even be CART (company) owned Champ cars and ALMS owned cars. They could be used for gathering track data and the information (everything from estimated G-forces to track surface to anticipated speeds and brake zones) then can be dispersed to the teams or used for preparations for the next season.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 15:07 (Ref:429270)   #14
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This alliance can only be a good thing, being a fan of both CART and the ALMS, I may even come over to the USA to see some of the races if CART and ALMS are going to be there.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 15:45 (Ref:429289)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Welcome, oh Saleen person (you have excellent taste, I might add. )

Come to Canada to see them race. It will cost you less.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 18:59 (Ref:429435)   #16
Baritone24

I am just waiting for the word that we would get a CART race in here in D.C. It would make an already great weekend even better!

Old 15 Nov 2002, 20:46 (Ref:429492)   #17
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Liz I belive you know me from the IMSA talk forums as Prodrive550. sure remember you, if you are Liz off of the IMSA talk forum.
Old 15 Nov 2002, 20:50 (Ref:429493)   #18
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Hey, do you go by any other GTS names on other boards?

Liz is Liz.

-Bill James
Old 15 Nov 2002, 20:51 (Ref:429494)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Yes, we're the same person.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 03:05 (Ref:435611)   #20
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
*Bump*

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Spa with the ALMS and Champ Cars together -- would that not make some people turn pale sickly (Andretti-)Green ...
Is this idea dead?

-Bill James
Old 24 Nov 2002, 07:25 (Ref:435642)   #21
greg.n
Racer

greg.n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not in the minds of writers on this forum. if we could will a way to make it happen we would.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 12:49 (Ref:435764)   #22
Liz
Veteran

Write to Don Panoz and suggest it. He reads his own mail (I have had answers to e-mails I have written to him -- PAPER LETTER answers that were signed by him.) He takes "for the fans" very seriously.
Old 18 Dec 2002, 18:13 (Ref:452823)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
You know what, if CART could switch the April 28 and May 18 date, they could hook up with the ALMS in Europe. Wouldn't that be cool? Spa 6h ALMS with CART running Saturday...
This idea is now dead. ALMS couldn't find the suitable venue for their European race, so there will be no double-headers.

They've also announced a 6 hour race in Mexico, so CART won't be joining up with ALMS there, either. Besides, Forsythe needs as many big gate days as possible to pay back his investment.

Has there been any news on the Euro CART race front?

-Bill James