Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 May 2004, 08:26 (Ref:977381)   #1
Bdehaan
Rookie

Bdehaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 demonstration in London

Can anyone send me in the direction to get some more info on the F1 demonstration on Regent Street, 6th July?
Old 21 May 2004, 08:51 (Ref:977415)   #2
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That about all there is so far unless you need to know where London is !

It could be an April fool that missed its deadline though...
Old 21 May 2004, 08:58 (Ref:977427)   #3
Bdehaan
Rookie

Bdehaan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OK

Just saw it on the BBC news site - as Bernie said he wouldn't rule out a London GP - may have to call FIA for more info.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:08 (Ref:977432)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
The word is Schuey, Montoya and Button for the demonstration.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:17 (Ref:977443)   #5
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So what are they demonstrating about? BBC Online doesn't make that clear.

The idea of a London street circuit is patently utter - just Bernie being his usual coy self.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:35 (Ref:977463)   #6
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I think they are demonstrating a few F1 cars, or that's how I read the article.
Old 21 May 2004, 09:37 (Ref:977467)   #7
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh I see - so it's an F1 demo as in show, rather than angry people complaining about something...

By the way, I'll amend my previous comment. It wasn't Bernie being his usual coy self. It was Bernie trying not to himself laughing...
Old 21 May 2004, 09:40 (Ref:977469)   #8
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Maybe this is part of the return of the petrol price protests that last week's papers told us the government were so worried about...

Its the week of the GP so testing rules mean each car can only do 50 km !

(I think 50 km is the correct figure - I'm sure if it isn't I'll be corrected very soon)
Old 21 May 2004, 10:08 (Ref:977488)   #9
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hope they'll all be liable for the congestion charge
Old 21 May 2004, 11:06 (Ref:977550)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Max has dismissed the London rumour in a press conference in Monaco. Silverstone is OK for 2005 and 6.
Old 21 May 2004, 11:16 (Ref:977558)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Hmm,

This wouldn't have anything to do with the "reinstate JV immediately" demonstration.................................... Well I've managed to get him into this one now!
Old 21 May 2004, 12:18 (Ref:977635)   #12
cos
Veteran

England
cos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a slightly tongue-in-cheek look at the idea on the BBC site (including a map of one proposed route)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3735029.stm
Old 21 May 2004, 12:26 (Ref:977648)   #13
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by PaulSands
I hope they'll all be liable for the congestion charge
apparently they're hanging around north of the euston road till after 6.30pm...
Old 21 May 2004, 12:37 (Ref:977661)   #14
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There have been quite a few of these demos recently.Saw one in Malaysia on TV yesterday-not at Sepang but in a town centre with just crowd barriers no armco,etc.But the last time I recall them doing anything in London was in Nov 1964 when as part of the Lord Mayor's Show,Clark,Hill,etc drove round a circuit with a Bank of England hairpin..
Old 21 May 2004, 14:31 (Ref:977778)   #15
James Kimbley
Rookie

England
James Kimbley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
London GP?

Two interesting articles on the BBC:

Ecclestone would not rule out a London GP:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/3734807.stm

And a possible circuit layout:

Circuit Layout if image above does not work.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:31 (Ref:977780)   #16
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
Hmmm - could this be related to the other thread today ?
Old 21 May 2004, 14:34 (Ref:977781)   #17
James Kimbley
Rookie

England
James Kimbley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh yes so it is. Mods you may want to merge this topic. Did not notice the first topic.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:55 (Ref:977801)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This couldn't possibly happen because Hermann Tilke didn't design it.

Also the Government licence would never be issued. Look what happened to Birmingham.
Old 21 May 2004, 14:57 (Ref:977803)   #19
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
This would never happen as there are too many buses running up and down Oxford st.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:03 (Ref:977806)   #20
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
that track wont work i dont think the queen would want the sounds of V10's screaming passed (lovely as the sound is) or even worse in 2008 it will be the V8s.
the Admiralty Arch at the end of the mall (end of the lap that bernie dreamnt up) would pose problems, And as the start finnish straight would be on the Mall there wouldnt be anywhere for a Proper pit complex, even when they compare it to monaco, even now monaco has pits being built, althou we could store all the teams area in hyde park or something & have an "open" garage so the public could look at all the teams. although as i said this wont happen.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 21 May 2004 at 15:05.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:14 (Ref:977813)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My question is, there's already a very good place to race, and that's Silverstone: why moving to London?

If memory doesn't deceive me, about 20 years ago they talked about a street race in Rome, but nothing was done thereafter.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:18 (Ref:977817)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by James Kimbley
Oh yes so it is. Mods you may want to merge this topic. Did not notice the first topic.
ok
Old 21 May 2004, 15:20 (Ref:977819)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Wooshy
that track wont work i dont think the queen would want the sounds of V10's screaming passed
I think she'd love it. After all she was down at McLaren the other day:

Click here for the McLaren website where this picture is from.

Last edited by Adam43; 21 May 2004 at 15:22.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:46 (Ref:977841)   #24
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just heard a report on the radio about this. They reckon they'll be getting up to about 70kph down Regent Street - so they're obviously going to have to use the bus lanes.

Last edited by neil_davidson2; 21 May 2004 at 15:47.
Old 21 May 2004, 15:49 (Ref:977845)   #25
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
70 kph doesnt seem that fast but then again Regent Street isnt that long.

Last edited by Mike_Wooshy; 21 May 2004 at 15:51.