Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Closed Thread

Old 24 Jan 2022, 08:53 (Ref:4095144)   #1
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Stoke Row and Nuffield Motor Sport Day 2022.

Morning all, We are going for July 17th this year. The date seems to be working out very well . I am looking forward again to having the show after two years not being able to run. With many thanks to Craven Motor Club we have carried on with the Maharajahs tour with great success with very nearly seventy cars taking part.
Last November we were able to donate £3000.00 to our local charities all this has been very rewarding. More info later but pencil in the date and I will look forward to seeing some of you in July at Delta HQ.
Old 26 Jan 2022, 19:37 (Ref:4095431)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I shall stick thos at the first opportunity
Old 31 Jan 2022, 14:21 (Ref:4096837)   #3
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Hopefully we might be there if we are not in Spain, if we are I will make a Blockbuster Movie of the day
I have just had a look on the calendar and it's the Birthday of the owner of Larkins Brewery on the Saturday !!

Last edited by GORDON STREETER; 31 Jan 2022 at 14:27.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 26 May 2022, 12:50 (Ref:4111375)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Due to the arrival of a puppy, my co-driver for the Tour is unable to attend. I'm therefore seeking a co-pilot who would enjoy a slow cruise through the Berkshire/Oxford/Bucks countryside.

You can find the tour details here: https://www.craven-motor-club.co.uk/

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 26 May 2022 at 12:58.
Old 26 May 2022, 19:29 (Ref:4111427)   #5
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks Pete for posting this up.
Old 26 May 2022, 19:39 (Ref:4111428)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
NP.
Old 27 May 2022, 18:47 (Ref:4111531)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Happy to let you know that Richard Walker (Justracing) will be sharing the Mallett entry for the Maharajah Tour. Now do we run the MG or the XJS?
Old 28 May 2022, 00:18 (Ref:4111559)   #8
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Happy to let you know that Richard Walker (Justracing) will be sharing the Mallett entry for the Maharajah Tour. Now do we run the MG or the XJS?
A "K" reg B parked beside us briefly today as we took a break (and some rather mediocre coffee) at lake Bala.

It reminded me how small they look now.

Later, on a main A road somewhere near Wrexham (maybe), a Triumph Herald 2 seater with a hardtop passed in the opposite direction.

Management's Kia Niro is not a large car by modern standards but it does seem to readily fill its side of the road on older cross country routes.

The Herald, on the other hand, looked small head-on and peeking at it from the rear in the door mirror I realised that it had yards of space either side as it sat in the middle of its lane.

Once upon a time roads were indeed suitable for their purpose. Now, with more protective vehicles, they all have to have lowish speed limits and Average Speed cameras deployed.

Such is progress.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 10:00 (Ref:4118149)   #9
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just noticed that I haven't received the entry form for this yet, is it just me?
Old 4 Jul 2022, 11:32 (Ref:4118175)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I went via Facebook.
Old 4 Jul 2022, 16:53 (Ref:4118229)   #11
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well......looks like I have a rare Sunday off so unless anything else crops up, a trip to Delta HQ will be called for! Iain, MiniMM may be able to bring his Midget up for display if you would like it?

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 5 Jul 2022, 06:20 (Ref:4118275)   #12
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Fantastic Max. Cliff so sorry about entry form. Just go to Craven Motor Club the forms are on their site. Looking forward to seeing you. Best wishes lain. We still have spaces for the tour. 50 entries so far.
Old 10 Jul 2022, 20:20 (Ref:4118993)   #13
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Cliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCliff Ryan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No need to apologise Iain, I’ve submitted an entry in Melanie’s Audi as my Triumph Stag won’t be ready, unfortunately. I hope my entry is accepted ��
Old 11 Jul 2022, 09:19 (Ref:4119061)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Received final instructions etc. today but can't open them. A bit inconvenient so have asked them to re send.

Edit: Just received downloadable versions. The Cherry Tree is doing bacon/sausage/mushroom butties before the start (I just called them).

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 11 Jul 2022 at 09:45.
Old 11 Jul 2022, 18:33 (Ref:4119145)   #15
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Received final instructions etc. today but can't open them. A bit inconvenient so have asked them to re send.

Edit: Just received downloadable versions. The Cherry Tree is doing bacon/sausage/mushroom butties before the start (I just called them).
Nothing received here yet, but I only entered over the weekend as was hoping to have Stag ready.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 05:38 (Ref:4119338)   #16
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Entry confirmed, see you on Sunday
Old 13 Jul 2022, 11:05 (Ref:4119370)   #17
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Ryan View Post
Entry confirmed, see you on Sunday
Yep. We went through the list last night.
Old 13 Jul 2022, 14:13 (Ref:4119403)   #18
Cliff Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta View Post
Yep. We went through the list last night.
Thanks Iain
Old 11 Jul 2022, 11:32 (Ref:4119087)   #19
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Bleah. Turns out I've got to work Sunday now so I can't make it. Oh well, next year.......

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
Old 11 Jul 2022, 15:49 (Ref:4119120)   #20
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Currently I am without transportation for the weekend as the Saab awaits a warranty replacement drive shaft. Swapped a while back for a clicking CV but the gaiter leaked grease at the CV end and then split at the shaft end of the outer gaiter.

New gaiter fitted about 3 weeks back and that pumped out grease without 19 miles. Lots of grease.

We decided there may be a problem with the drive shaft since the fully and correctly clamped gaiter seems incapable of retaining a seal.

What with that and a rapidly progressing oil leak, likely due to lack of use, the car is not fit to go anywhere.

I'll have to wait to see what happens about replacement availability this week.

Meanwhile ...

Accuweather suggests that the max temp for Nuffield on Sunday may be 89F. 83F on Saturday.

Sounds like a "take it easy" weekend to me.

Plenty of water and suncream recommended.

Could be worse - the Monday (18th) forecast is currently into the 90s.

So how does Iain, since moving to Nuffield, always seem to get a weekend with good weather rather than traditional UK downpours?

Answers on the back of an iced-lolly please ...
Old 11 Jul 2022, 16:42 (Ref:4119131)   #21
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
Currently I am without transportation for the weekend as the Saab awaits a warranty replacement drive shaft. Swapped a while back for a clicking CV but the gaiter leaked grease at the CV end and then split at the shaft end of the outer gaiter.

New gaiter fitted about 3 weeks back and that pumped out grease without 19 miles. Lots of grease.

We decided there may be a problem with the drive shaft since the fully and correctly clamped gaiter seems incapable of retaining a seal.

What with that and a rapidly progressing oil leak, likely due to lack of use, the car is not fit to go anywhere.

I'll have to wait to see what happens about replacement availability this week.

Meanwhile ...

Accuweather suggests that the max temp for Nuffield on Sunday may be 89F. 83F on Saturday.

Sounds like a "take it easy" weekend to me.

Plenty of water and suncream recommended.

Could be worse - the Monday (18th) forecast is currently into the 90s.

So how does Iain, since moving to Nuffield, always seem to get a weekend with good weather rather than traditional UK downpours?

Answers on the back of an iced-lolly please ...
Poor excuse .Get the train to Reading. I will pick you up.
Old 15 Jul 2022, 17:42 (Ref:4119602)   #22
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
Poor excuse .Get the train to Reading. I will pick you up.
Too much camera kit to carry.

Are any trains running?

In any case you will all be too busy to do a station run!

My man swapped the CV joint today and so far (just a 10 mile test drive and my 20+ mile run home) the grease deluge seems to be resolved.

I've done some full lock manoeuvring and will leave things to cool off before further testing tomorrow.

I did suggest going the whole hog and swapping the entire drive shaft but, apparently, they are not available.

Why there should be this problem is still a total puzzle to both of us.

The other possible concern is that management has her 3rd sore throat symptom in the past 6 or 7 weeks. This is getting ridiculous ...
Old 16 Jul 2022, 05:29 (Ref:4119650)   #23
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
That's a no then GP.
Old 16 Jul 2022, 05:34 (Ref:4119651)   #24
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
All going well so far. Big concern is the very warm weather and the dry grass. I am setting up dustbins full of water around the field. If anyone else tells me about a field that was well alight up the road I will poke them in the eye.
Nearly 70 cars on the tour,fantastic achievement from Craven Motor Club.I have to say to team up with Craven has just been the best thing for the show. It makes all the difference they are set of top top blokes. Long may it continue.
Right wheres the hose pipe.
Old 16 Jul 2022, 22:31 (Ref:4119689)   #25
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

Quote:
That's a no then GP.
A "doubtful" Iain.

Car seems OK after some fettling work yesterday.

However, Management has gone down with the lurgy again - only just about got over the last bout and the bout before that - and if we follow recent form I will probably wake up with sore throat in the morning. That's what seems to have happened 3 times in the past few weeks.

No big deal in itself (at least it has not been a big deal previously) but I'm not sure it is entirely sensible to potentially spread whatever it is on a warm day in Oxfordshire.

I'll see how I feel in the morning and how management is progressing. Seems a bit stroppy tonight and that's usually a sign of feeling somewhat better. That's often not as positive as it may sound!

Obviously one also has to take into account the "authorities'" Red Alert, although, as someone old enough to recall the several weeks of rather hot and dry weather in the summer of 1976, a red alert for a couple of days of heat in summer seems a bit overly dramatic.
Closed Thread