Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bourdais "Frustrated" with Closed F1 Doors

From speedtv.com:
Quote:
“Frank told me that being a Champ Car champion no longer means what it did a few years ago,” laments the Frenchman, who gave Sir Frank a call regarding the still-vacant position as Mark Webber’s teammate.
Quote:
“I reckon I have no reason to complain,” he says. “I think I’m happier than most F1 drivers. The United States is a great country with great people. Here, I have found professional and financial recognition. Plus, I love driving the Champ Cars.”
Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:03 (Ref:1157293)   #2
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, in a couple of years he may be glad of this, he has a ride in a top team in a top series, and can add some more silverware and wins to his collection while F1 self destructs around itself...

I mean, why would you want to go to F1 at the minute?
Only the red cars can win races, and only one of them the championship. Anything else will just harm your reputation!
Old 18 Nov 2004, 19:27 (Ref:1157321)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
On one hand, Sir Frank is half-right. The depth isn't what it once was, but all the top guys are still quality drivers.

However, it's clear Seb is thoroughly enjoying his time in the US and I hope he remains a ChampCar stalwart for years to come.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1157388)   #4
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the contrary, F1 is not what it used to be a few years ago. codename_47 is right. If you're not with Ferrari and your name is not Michael Schumacher, you're racing for 3rd place in the championship. I always laugh at myself when I watch an F1 race and get excited when Alonso or JPM places on the podium. F1 is a complete joke. Bourdais rules Champ Car, but not to the degree that Ferrari owns F1.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 21:07 (Ref:1157412)   #5
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There isn't as much depth in CCWS from a few years back. However Frank Williams has tar'd Seabass with the wrong brush on this one, the guy can drive, and drive damm quick.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 21:44 (Ref:1157450)   #6
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I'm sure Frank knows that.
It's a shame for Bourdais, but a boon to ChampCar.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:00 (Ref:1157468)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
why would he want to go to F1 and be totally flogged by Mark Webber anyway ?

He could stay in CC and totally flog bruno
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:02 (Ref:1157470)   #8
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
He'll also have Cristiano to contend with, though!
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:05 (Ref:1157478)   #9
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I personally think Bourdais is another level above both of them.

and to be honest I think he could probably give Webber a good run for his money , I was just being a proud Webber fan that I am.

he has the talent to be a top F1 driver in my view.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 22:10 (Ref:1157483)   #10
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
I can understand Sebs frustration. There's a plum Williams seat up for grabs and the 3 guys going for it he would be pretty confident in giving a run for their money.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 23:19 (Ref:1157536)   #11
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Imho, Anthony Davidson should get the second seat at Williams, however, Sir Frank should give Seb a shot at least.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 23:27 (Ref:1157539)   #12
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
so basically Frank is not going to give Seb a shot or not ?

at a test I mean ?
Old 18 Nov 2004, 23:32 (Ref:1157543)   #13
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No.

Frank has said today Pizzonia most likely has the seat, although Heidfeld and Davidson will test soon too.

Bear in mind it's only a 1 year deal, because Button arrives in 2006.
Old 18 Nov 2004, 23:35 (Ref:1157547)   #14
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
well then Davidson should get the seat in my view to kick start hs career , Nick is useless and always will be and Seb can easilly win CC next year again (and should)

But I'd like to see him test at least just to see how he would go
Old 18 Nov 2004, 23:37 (Ref:1157548)   #15
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
Webber tests at Barcelona on the 24th.

Then the shootout begins, Pizzonia on Dec 1, Davidson on Dec 6 and Heidfeld on Dec 9, all at Jerez.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 00:10 (Ref:1157563)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Is DC not getting a test as well?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 00:12 (Ref:1157564)   #17
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
No.

Frank has said today Pizzonia most likely has the seat, although Heidfeld and Davidson will test soon too.

Bear in mind it's only a 1 year deal, because Button arrives in 2006.
Button arriving in 2006 is not a done deal. It is speculated, but not official, as far as I know anyway.

Bourdais has a contract through 2005 anyway, I think all he could hope for this year would be to get a test, show Frank Williams he's a damn good driver and try to get a ride in 2006, or another test at least to see where he stands
Old 19 Nov 2004, 03:14 (Ref:1157626)   #18
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If it wasn't for the differences in the ability of the teams to setup their cars, no one could say anything to diminish Bourdais' achievement. It certainly took a lot more effort on track to win than it did for MS to put in those 5 fast laps per GP.

F1 seems to be in a real catch 22. You can't seem to get into F1 because you need experience. Once you have lower level experience you can't get in because "all the fast drivers were already picked up". Look at what we saw this season, nearly every single F1 driver was inconsistant. (some exceptions, eg. MS only really poor at the end, Kimi was fairly consistant) I'm not so sure that driver's weaknesses are exposed unless they go up the ladder.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1157837)   #19
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
He'll also have Cristiano to contend with, though!
Cristiano is good, but I think it's going to be the same situation as when Zanardi came back. He'll take awhile to get acclimated.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 12:31 (Ref:1158004)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seb is a great talent and will fight all year long with bruno- and as soon as christiano comes back to Champcar form- well it will be a trainwreck of a series to watch just the stunning awe of these machines and the pilots, Sec, Tracy, DaMatta, Junq, Allmendinger,RHR, this really will be a series to watch, if one more or two more chassis manufacturers take a stab at this it ceratinly will be a brawl- simply enough when guys go divebombinginto a corner i saw 2 champcar bounce off each other (tracy and someone else) and then tear off racing down the straight,
in "eff1" 2 car do this and it is a carbon fibre extravaganza! (i love F1 but the cars are brittle)
with the stringer and stronger series and the bright future and tough fight ahead with IRL, really a champcar champion will only continue to shine if he stays on top of the pile, and as every thing realigns, well- the CCWS top men will be the ones looking at their world. Sebastien should not lament this F1 closure currently, Champcar need to add a race in france- at bugatti? or lemans before the 24 hours race perhaps?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 13:35 (Ref:1158089)   #21
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F3000 champions have notoriously had trouble proving themselves in F1, and ChampCar drivers have a mixed record once given an F1 chance, although the successes largely outweigh the failures. I'd love to see Seb get a test, but I'm not sure simply winning ChampCars against Bruno with by far the best setups and crew is neccessarily a big enough achievement to merit it.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 17:01 (Ref:1158359)   #22
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by N I Tram
F3000 champions have notoriously had trouble proving themselves in F1, and ChampCar drivers have a mixed record once given an F1 chance, although the successes largely outweigh the failures. I'd love to see Seb get a test, but I'm not sure simply winning ChampCars against Bruno with by far the best setups and crew is neccessarily a big enough achievement to merit it.
But wouldn't it be fair to say that most drivers that are given a chance have trouble with F1? I'm not sure how grabbing someone like a Button has better initial results than a driver who's got more experience. BTW: Who were some recent F3000 champs other than Wilson and Hiedfeld?
Old 19 Nov 2004, 17:15 (Ref:1158379)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1998 Montoya
1999 Heidfeld
2000 Junqueira
2001 Wilson
2002 Bourdais
2003 Wirdheim
2004 Liuzzi
Old 19 Nov 2004, 17:16 (Ref:1158381)   #24
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Klien came 2nd 2003, Briscoe 1st

-edit euro F3 I'm thinking of

Last edited by EGG; 19 Nov 2004 at 17:19.
Old 19 Nov 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1158404)   #25
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Actually the F3000 champions who've got into F1 have generally done pretty well, although not in temrs of actually wining races - only Montoya has ever won multiple races. Guys like Senna, Hakkinen, Schumacher, Raikkonen, Prost, Mansell, all proved that they were worthy of an F1 drive without needig the F2/F3000 tier.