Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 17 Feb 2006, 14:14 (Ref:1525078)   #1
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best filter makes and types?

Hi,

Would just like peoples opinions on what brands of filter are superior to others and what types of filter are recommended, ie UV, polarizing, etc

I have an Olympus E-10 and am currently looking for some 62mm filters, but do I really need them?

Cheers
Old 17 Feb 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1525179)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I use Hama filters (but mainly because they're cheap). One of the main reasons for using one is to protect the lens from damage - cheaper to replace a scratched filter than a sratched lens.

As for which types - I used a skylight filter all last year but I've bought a UV filter and a polarising filter too for this year. I have no idea which will work best (as I'm distinctly amateur) but I'm planning on experimenting with them this season.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 09:22 (Ref:1525507)   #3
Joe T
Rookie

Joe T should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use Tiffen UV and polarising filters. I have the UV on my lenses all the time (except my 120-300 2.8). I also have a Cokin filter set with ND grad filters for landscape work.
Old 18 Feb 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1525724)   #4
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I use Hama Pro circular polarising filters, also always have skylight 1B/UV on my workhorse lenses for protection. I have a comprehensive Cokin filter kit, with grads, star effect, multi image, various colours etc for effects.

Prices vary dramatically with size and quality. My 58mm and 77mm Polarising filters were just shy of £200!!!
Old 18 Feb 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1525829)   #5
C.U.Motorsport
Rookie

United Kingdom
Coventry UK
C.U.Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a little out of my price range Hubble, what with me being a penny pinching student. Sadly from looking at my bank account I have exhausted my student loan on my olympus E-10 and various extras including 4 x 1gb compact flash cards. They haven't arrived yet but I have been told that they are not compatible with my model as the E-10 will only work with 512mb or below...... Damn

So the good news is once I have resold my 4 x 1gb memory cards on flea-bay or whatever I will have an extra £160 or so to spend.

In the meantime I am searching flea-bay for filters as I as of yet dont own any so thanks to everyone for thier advice
Old 20 Feb 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1527106)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
My Hama filters were something like £8 each at that money they have to be worth it just for the lens protection side of things.