Old 27 Oct 2006, 09:18 (Ref:1750847)   #1
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sandwich plate or remote filter?

Which one would you use and why?

I know that the accepted practice is to use a remote filter on a dry sump system but it seems to add to complexity, cost and weight for no additional benefit.

Am I missing something?

For info I don't have any installation issues either way.

Thanks.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1750917)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
sandwich plate for me, a remote filter would enable me to run a larger filter I guess, and therefore slightly higher capacity, but not sure if it would do me any favours.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 11:58 (Ref:1750976)   #3
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have one set up on one car and one on the other and see no difference except I can run a big cheaper Ford filter on the remote one than the chevy one on the other, the remote is also easier to get at. Both were supplied by Think Automotive and I just used them as I happened to have them lying around (tight wad!). I guess the plumbing was slightly easier on the sandwich plate and also meant no need for a 90 degree bend into the adabtor so may actually have had the slim advantage.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 12:43 (Ref:1751020)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some thing to consider, do you need extra oil capacity, always a good thing on a race engine,Like some free extra oil cooling ,mounted in a suitable area you can gain a fair bit .Downsides, some enginebays are pigs to find the room needed for remote mountings ,the cost can rocket with the fittings sometimes required.
Old 27 Oct 2006, 13:05 (Ref:1751060)   #5
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
There are some articles I have read that state extra oil aids nothing in the cooling stakes, just takes a tad longer to heat up and cool down and once up to temp you can have a 50 gallon can in the back it will make no odds, nothing beats a good oil cooling system. The main reason for having a deep sump for example in a small block chevy wet sump motor is not to fill the thing with an extra 3 or 4 litres of oil it would accomadate if filled up to the full mark on the dipstick but to run it low with just a tad more oil than normal but run it lower away from the crank.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 08:33 (Ref:1753344)   #6
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
I took my sandwich plate off, looked at it carefully and came to the conclusion it was designed by a moron.

Half the holes don't line up and there are sharp edges everywhere.

One hole is blocked with a very heavy steel plug.

The other hole has a steel fitting (1/2" BSP to -10) that has the smallest bore I have ever seen, even my ally ones are thinner!

Coupled with the proximity to the exhaust I think it is probably going to have to go, or at least be re-engineered.
Old 30 Oct 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1753530)   #7
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
I've seen good and bad sandwich plates, my system seems ok so I have no plans to change it.

I have been thinking about extending my sump
Old 31 Oct 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1754615)   #8
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ive stuck with a sandwich plate but i did get the die grinder on it and flow it to loose all the nasty sharp edges to the oil ways

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 1 Nov 2006, 19:46 (Ref:1755591)   #9
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
I started with a Mocal sandwich plate and the machining wasn't that good. An hour with a die grinder improved all the flow paths and it worked fine for quite a while. It's eventual demise was because it became increasingly difficult to get a seal on both sides without having to really wind up the oil filter. In the end I just drilled and tapped two large holes straight into the oil filter housing, fitted oil line fittings, and blocked off the standard internal passageway. Means I can use a remote cooler but with the standard spin on filter... works fine so far :-)
Old 5 Nov 2006, 19:48 (Ref:1758454)   #10
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The issue of making the filter accessible, and bigger, is the one I'd go for.

With my FWD Poxhall, the filter is behind the 4-1 manifold which I'm sure picks up heat from the header tubes. Were the enough space under the bonnet, I'd be tempted to run a remote filter, even with the conventional oil pump.

Denis, have you sorted an oil tank yet?

One question - how many put the coolers in the pressure line, or in the return line? I have mine in the return, which leaves it less likely to burst under pressure.

Rob.
Old 6 Nov 2006, 08:34 (Ref:1758757)   #11
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing59
The issue of making the filter accessible, and bigger, is the one I'd go for.

With my FWD Poxhall, the filter is behind the 4-1 manifold which I'm sure picks up heat from the header tubes. Were the enough space under the bonnet, I'd be tempted to run a remote filter, even with the conventional oil pump.

Denis, have you sorted an oil tank yet?

One question - how many put the coolers in the pressure line, or in the return line? I have mine in the return, which leaves it less likely to burst under pressure.

Rob.
Yes, I have sorted out a tank thanks.

I have been recommended to fit the oil cooler on the return (one of them, I have both scavenge stages on seperate pipework). As I have a proper fabricated cooler I doubt if pressure would be a problem. I am looking at it more from keeping the pressure route as simple, direct and non-cavitating as possible.