Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 27 May 2020, 23:59 (Ref:3978810)   #226
DiMaestro
Rookie

United States
DiMaestro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post

Vettel himself touched upon this cultural situation (and the lack of understanding from many that has been demonstrated in this thread) in an interview earlier this month.

Vettel claims Ferrari are often ‘misunderstood’

'It’s very Italian inside, has very Italian rules and traditions, which is great, that they are kept, but equally it’s very modern.
I think sometimes also this is misunderstood, because you look at Italy to say that they are very traditional with lots of things and ‘la mamma’ and all this, whatever.
But, you know, people are still very, very forward-thinking and I think we have a lot of young great talents in the team, great people with great ideas, creative ideas, and that’s why in a way it’s a shame that we haven’t, you know – in terms of results – haven’t had that breakthrough yet.'

I have to say that Vettels response here is nicely put. He doesn't blame anyone, and placing the idea of the past few years as learning experiences is a mature way of responding.
Old 28 May 2020, 04:58 (Ref:3978826)   #227
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
So I wanted to toss out an idea, but I am concerned that it will inadvertently come across as nationalistic and even play to national stereotypes (neither are my intent). I am mostly curious as to thought of those who live and operate in Europe vs. my outside view. I may well be very much off base here.

Regarding "blame culture". Might some of that go back to native legal systems which have roots in either continental or common law? In that "continental law" can be more "inquisitorial" in nature (not particularly sympathetic for the potentially innocent). Examples being cases such as the trial to determine fault in Aryton Senna's death or (I hate to bring this up given the polarizing views...) Amanda Knox. In which there is a strong desire to assign blame to someone. Even to the point of pinning a target on someone early on and then cranking the handle of the system to get the desired outcome (which may not be "the truth"). That this permeates the culture. In this case Ferrari's F1 team?

Richard
Actually, Richard, the civil law legal system is much less confrontational than the common law systems, in particular if you look at criminal law that you mentioned with Amanda Knox. If you look at particularly the American system it is a lot about the district attorney trying to win the case and making sure they have enough so the defendant gets convicted. Of course the continental public prosecutors also want to get a win, but the investigations are set up much more broadly and neutral.

The same is true in civil law matters where the plaintiff has to bring the evidence to suppport their case other than in common law where it just needs to be a good story that pushes the judge to move into discovery/disclosure where both parties need to provide documents that might support either side.

With that little excursion to the legal systems in terms of Ferrari it is probably much more what crmalcolm said than any legal system/blame culture.
Old 28 May 2020, 06:26 (Ref:3978831)   #228
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't worked or lived in Italy.so I'll bow to the knowledge above. But I don't think we should ascribe the lack of Ferrari success to the legal system. However, that said, the common law permits you to do anything as long as you don't cause harm, in other words you accept responsibility for your actions. Civil codes prescribe the limits within which you must live.
Old 28 May 2020, 14:57 (Ref:3978946)   #229
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks to everyone for their feedback on my thoughts.

Richard