Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Apr 2020, 12:30 (Ref:3970740)   #1
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Monaco 1996

I very much enjoyed the recent Monaco 1996 replay on the F1.com youtube page.

One question I had, did Damon or anyone from the Williams team know that his engine was going to go bang whilst leading? Has anyone seen an article or anything about it? I know some times they have a bit of warning like an oil pressure alarm or something... Just curious.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 12:40 (Ref:3970744)   #2
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know, the engine went without any warning. At least I remember reading that as eight-year old boy* in a Dutch magazine.

* Damn, I'm getting old.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 13:59 (Ref:3970764)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
How gutted did Damon look. Much as I supported him, wasn't it great to see a small team that qualified so far back win a race.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:13 (Ref:3970767)   #4
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
How gutted did Damon look. Much as I supported him, wasn't it great to see a small team that qualified so far back win a race.

My thoughts exactly. Whilst it was a shame Damon was robbed of winning a GP his father made his own, it did mean Panis got his one and only win

There was a recent article on Autosport on how it’s forgotten how unlucky Jean Alesi was. He ran second to Damon pretty much all race till Hill went out, then after taking the lead and making a second pit stop for fuel, he then had to come in again after suspension damage, before retiring for good. He would have deserved that win

I still remember watching that race as a kid. The best Monaco GP in living memory for me. It was such a crazy race, including the reasons above. Schumacher going out on the first lap. Only three running at the end. Four others classified, one in the pits, the other three in a nose to tail pile up. Coulthard with Schumi’s helmet
Old 14 Apr 2020, 14:14 (Ref:3970768)   #5
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I very much enjoyed the recent Monaco 1996 replay on the F1.com youtube page.

One question I had, did Damon or anyone from the Williams team know that his engine was going to go bang whilst leading? Has anyone seen an article or anything about it? I know some times they have a bit of warning like an oil pressure alarm or something... Just curious.
spoiler alert!
Old 14 Apr 2020, 23:18 (Ref:3970859)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
As far as I know, the engine went without any warning. At least I remember reading that as eight-year old boy* in a Dutch magazine.

* Damn, I'm getting old.
I think there was a warning light, which Damon noticed and might even had radioed the team about, but it was seconds before the engine let go.
Old 14 Apr 2020, 23:34 (Ref:3970861)   #7
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Oh yes, Damon Hill explained in an interview with BBC’s Tony Jardine that’s what happened
Old 15 Apr 2020, 02:35 (Ref:3970886)   #8
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeah, just watched the F1 replay this afternoon. Not too bad a race but wow, could the commentary have been more useless most of the race? I get they don't have every camera feed in front of them but every comment was a SCREAMING statement of the obvious. I had to mute it after probably 50 laps and just watch. I understand he's supposed to be a beloved broadcaster but that was painful, and the yelling, dear God the yelling.

But the race itself, that was good fun and random. Sadly a terrible race to highlight driver skill but entertaining. I have to keep up with the F1 channel and more rain races, hope they'll load 97 Monaco soon.
Old 15 Apr 2020, 13:13 (Ref:3970940)   #9
LW97
Rookie

LW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

It wasn't Panis fault that no one but him, Coulthard and Herbert was able to finish lol
Old 18 Apr 2020, 13:52 (Ref:3971538)   #10
hoffman66
Racer

hoffman66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Imagine how many people watched that,a nd thought wow.

then watched a modern race.

A massively untapped audience, now faced with paywall sports, awful modern F1 in many ways.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 14:11 (Ref:3971540)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would imagine very few of the untapped massive audience. Probably quite a few that were fans of F1 already did. Although there have been 1.2M view apparently.

Out of curiousity, what counts as a view. A page load, clicking play, watching for at least a minute, most of it, or the whole thing?

And besides when they do watch a live race they will be disappointed. Surely?

The opening title music is brilliant.

EDIT: https://www.bluefountainmedia.com/bl...be-count-views
This is interesting. I think it hints that it is a simple page view, but it checks it isn't being abused. So for instance when I watch this 400 times to hear the guitar it will only register once

EDIT AGAIN: Apparently you have to watch for 30s for it to count. So just watching the waaaa woaaaa music doesn't increase the views.

Last edited by Adam43; 18 Apr 2020 at 14:24.
Old 18 Apr 2020, 19:28 (Ref:3971576)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Oh yes, Damon Hill explained in an interview with BBC’s Tony Jardine that’s what happened
Just watching. He said he had a warning light for about a lap beforehand.

Ann Bradshaw said that Damon radioed about it and the Renault mechanics couldn’t see anything wrong at first.

Damon also said they would still have some Champagne later.
Old 19 Apr 2020, 02:29 (Ref:3971619)   #13
LW97
Rookie

LW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLW97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheese

The last French winner until this day.