Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Jul 2020, 15:02 (Ref:3986758)   #126
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
So this is his third stint with Renault then. It’s great to have him back, let’s hope Renault move further up the grid
Old 8 Jul 2020, 15:07 (Ref:3986761)   #127
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Was there any indication Renault were on the slide? Looking at both Alono's results and the team's results for 2005 and 6, they were similar. The team's performance in 2005 was slightly worse, as Fisichella had 5 retirements as opposed to 2 in 2006.
He signed for McLaren at the end of 2005, so at that stage performance was not visibly on the slide and, like you say, 2006 was very successful (albeit a much closer fight for the title than 2005).

But long term it was always going to be the case that Renault wouldn't stay on top. They don't spend as much money as other manufacturers, Briatore always hated going a penny over budget and eventually the big spenders McLaren and Ferrari would topple them. If they needed to spend twice what Renault did to get on top then they would have done.

The other thing to remember is the performance of McLaren in 2005. They actually won the most races overall and had the faster car for a great portion of the year, though tbf Renault unleashed all their performance in the final race at China and beat McLaren handily suggesting they were holding back quite a lot whilst they wrapped up the driver's title.

Alonso was certainly proven correct. Indeed it is something of a myth that he has always chosen the wrong teams, he only really did so when he had no other options on the table.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 15:28 (Ref:3986771)   #128
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
He signed for McLaren at the end of 2005, so at that stage performance was not visibly on the slide and, like you say, 2006 was very successful (albeit a much closer fight for the title than 2005).

But long term it was always going to be the case that Renault wouldn't stay on top. They don't spend as much money as other manufacturers, Briatore always hated going a penny over budget and eventually the big spenders McLaren and Ferrari would topple them. If they needed to spend twice what Renault did to get on top then they would have done.

The other thing to remember is the performance of McLaren in 2005. They actually won the most races overall and had the faster car for a great portion of the year, though tbf Renault unleashed all their performance in the final race at China and beat McLaren handily suggesting they were holding back quite a lot whilst they wrapped up the driver's title.

Alonso was certainly proven correct. Indeed it is something of a myth that he has always chosen the wrong teams, he only really did so when he had no other options on the table.
I didn't know he signed for McLaren at the end of 2005. McLaren won 10 races, to Renault's 7, though Renault won the WCC with 191 points to McLaren's 132. I don't subscribe either to the idea he chose the wrong teams.

This period of F1 is a bit sketchy for me, as I'd stopped watching after Austria 2002. I got bored of the Schumacher/Ferrari dominance and when Barrichello moved over to give Schumacher the win, that did it for me. I didn't get back into F1 until 2008, only following it from a far.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 15:51 (Ref:3986776)   #129
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Best tell Bernd Maylander to get some practice in for next year, then...
Old 8 Jul 2020, 16:28 (Ref:3986789)   #130
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
He certainly did that with the McLaren move, apart from one small problem...
Why wasn't Alonso more accommodating of Hamilton as lead driver (instead of blocking Hamilton in the pits and other things that made Dennis cross), so that Alonso could have stuck around at McLaren for longer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerPixel View Post
Ever since I was a young boy I have dreamed of driving a Renault... and then not driving one... and then sort of retiring but not really... and then driving one again
If you search the classifieds carefully, you too can drive a lovely Fuego or Vel Satis one day!
Old 8 Jul 2020, 16:53 (Ref:3986795)   #131
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Fireworks View Post
Why wasn't Alonso more accommodating of Hamilton as lead driver (instead of blocking Hamilton in the pits and other things that made Dennis cross), so that Alonso could have stuck around at McLaren for longer?

Because he had too much pride for that. He wanted to win the title, although maybe some of the things he did went too far
Old 8 Jul 2020, 17:52 (Ref:3986808)   #132
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
2007 was a crazy season. i was relatively new to the forum then but some of those threads were insane.

thinking back, i believe i started out very much on Alonso's side. he had just been given a massive retainer (maybe the largest ever?) and coming off back to back titles...i couldnt understand why Mclaren would even consider treating their drivers as equal (like alternating who was given the optimal qualify order - weird quali rules then right?).

after a couple of years of disappointing Kimi with poor reliability, i was very much anti Ron and Mclaren at that point and for me that narrative fed right into spygate.

just absolutely crazy days in the forums back then!
Old 8 Jul 2020, 18:55 (Ref:3986825)   #133
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have tried to delete 2007 from my memory, which is a shame as it had some seriously tasty ingredients.

Can't remember which side I took. I was probably really idiotic and contrarian about it.

It certainly set Alonso on a weird path, that year. The reason he is scrabbling around for drives today is directly linked to the goings on of that year in some ways. Back then I think many of us assumed he would be the dominant force for a while and the one going for Schumacher's records. He was young and he was well on the way but fourteen years have passed and the stats have barely budged.

This is all a bit off topic. But then maybe it isn't, because it is what Alonso is really: reminiscence, regret and what might have been.
Old 8 Jul 2020, 20:06 (Ref:3986841)   #134
greentrumpet
Racer

greentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgreentrumpet should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very much this^^^
I feel Alonso has been the author of his own (and sadly a few others) misfortunes.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 00:21 (Ref:3986861)   #135
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
I think you missed the news on the prior page. This thread picked up again because it was revealed he WILL be driving for Renault in 2021. No more speculation.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...eturn/4827735/

Richard
Thanks for that, my mistake. OK, he is back into a mediocre team that has fulfilled very few promises they have made or perhaps none but I don't keep score. His chances of consistent podium finishes would seem to be limited at best which is exactly what he has consistently said but people change their minds when millions are thrown at the problem and I predict this will be another Alonso decision that will end up in tears but time will tell.

I stand by my hope that he never appears on any podium, I don't like him but he is an extrordinarily talented driver. I will in fact cheer when he has races with no success as I think it is Karma for past events. I wear my heart on my sleeve when it comes to Alonso and have no intention of discussing it further here, just saying it as I see it so I won't respond to posts on this point.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 00:56 (Ref:3986865)   #136
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think you missed the news on the prior page. This thread picked up again because it was revealed he WILL be driving for Renault in 2021. No more speculation.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f...eturn/4827735/

Richard
To be pedantic that is not the return announcement at all, just the anticipation of it. My post preceded the formal announcement by a fair bit.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 03:41 (Ref:3986887)   #137
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
To be pedantic that is not the return announcement at all, just the anticipation of it. My post preceded the formal announcement by a fair bit.
And to continue to be pedantic, I purposefully used language ("revealed") that did not indicate it had been "formally announced". But it was all but confirmed at that point as everyone was reporting it by then. Maybe it's all semantics.

And my comment about being late to the game wasn't a jab, but rather just wanted you to be on the same page as everyone else. There has been so much speculation that this would happen, that the posts after the news broke had much of the same flavor of the prior speculative posts.

Cheers

Richard
Old 9 Jul 2020, 03:47 (Ref:3986889)   #138
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
And to continue to be pedantic, I purposefully used language ("revealed") that did not indicate it had been "formally announced". But it was all but confirmed at that point as everyone was reporting it by then. Maybe it's all semantics.

And my comment about being late to the game wasn't a jab, but rather just wanted you to be on the same page as everyone else. There has been so much speculation that this would happen, that the posts after the news broke had much of the same flavor of the prior speculative posts.

Cheers

Richard
A difference in interpretation, "revealed" to me meant it had been officially announced but I did not look at the link so my fault and just a misunderstanding of biblical proportions that will cause the world to tilt off its axis.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 05:47 (Ref:3986891)   #139
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, I've removed the question mark from the thread title anyway.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 06:40 (Ref:3986902)   #140
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Well, I've removed the question mark from the thread title anyway.
👍😂😂
Old 9 Jul 2020, 08:04 (Ref:3986910)   #141
S griffin
Veteran

With Ocon staying it will be interesting to see how he goes next to Fred. He might learn a lot from him. Nice mix of youth and experience there
Old 9 Jul 2020, 12:44 (Ref:3986951)   #142
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
With Ocon staying it will be interesting to see how he goes next to Fred. He might learn a lot from him. Nice mix of youth and experience there
I think those two will get on very well......for at least one race.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 13:43 (Ref:3986965)   #143
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
I think those two will get on very well......for at least one race.
Is that the whole race or just the start
Old 9 Jul 2020, 20:26 (Ref:3987059)   #144
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

V8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridV8 Fireworks should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
OK, he is back into a mediocre team that has fulfilled very few promises they have made or perhaps none
The power unit is up to the second best now, so that's very positive. Handling of the RS20 is not *AS* terrible as the RS19, so that's positive too.
Old 9 Jul 2020, 20:59 (Ref:3987068)   #145
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
The power unit is up to the second best now, so that's very positive. Handling of the RS20 is not *AS* terrible as the RS19, so that's positive too.
How is it better than the Honda?
Old 10 Jul 2020, 03:41 (Ref:3987107)   #146
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
Waking up in the morning is also a positive. Renault's improvement is best bench marked by Ricciardo's quick decision to leave, nothing more neds to be said.
Old 10 Jul 2020, 07:13 (Ref:3987133)   #147
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
How is that measured? not sure i would agree with that statement.
Old 10 Jul 2020, 23:00 (Ref:3987312)   #148
V8 Fireworks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by peebee2 View Post
How is it better than the Honda?
The Renault seems to have a fraction more power than the Honda. The Mercedes the clear leader, of course, and Ferrari clearly behind.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 12:02 (Ref:3987379)   #149
Casper
Veteran

Quote:
The Renault seems to have a fraction more power than the Honda. The Mercedes the clear leader, of course, and Ferrari clearly behind.
I am glad you are absolutely positive about the power advantage.
Old 11 Jul 2020, 19:29 (Ref:3987473)   #150
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
Not sure Honda or red Bull would agree with that to be honest.