Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 1 Sep 2006, 01:39 (Ref:1698950)   #1
gravel_monkey
Veteran

England
widnes
gravel_monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
pork pies (blended. Sorry, merged)

hey all, bit of a weird post this, for anyone who is at oulton regulaly or for the odd visitor you may hear marshals talking about pork pies. the theory on oulton is if you are caught eating a pork pie, mayhem will soon ensue on your post. now for people not familiar with this theory it is obviously going to sound daft but there has ben more than enough proof at oulton over the years that the theory is true. i have heard this theory at mallory aswell. do all marshalls have this legend or just them 2 circuits and if you do not, do guys on the other circuits have any weird superstitions/legends.

for more info on the attraction for pork pies speak to dave brand!!!!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 01:45 (Ref:1698952)   #2
Dean Watson
Veteran

England
Louth, Lincolnshire
Dean Watson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no i think this is a theory shared by many circuits as a regular Cadwell Park marshal the pork pie is legendary I have also heard tales of pork pie woe at Snetterton
Old 1 Sep 2006, 07:06 (Ref:1699055)   #3
devon kev
Racer

Guernsey
MELBOURNE DERBY
devon kev should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many a pork pie theory has been proved in hillclimbing as well
Old 1 Sep 2006, 07:07 (Ref:1699056)   #4
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
first heard of the legend when at my first event at Harewood Hill and asked did i have a pork pie for lunch...
Old 1 Sep 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1699075)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
My top three guaranteeds:
  1. Putting on handcream (when flagging)
  2. Having a cup of tea
  3. Eating other people's food of any kind!

Haven't had a huge amount of success with pork pies, but tea is more or less guaranteed and handcream runs a close second!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 07:47 (Ref:1699077)   #6
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For the A1GP we had a pork pie on every Armco upright, NOTHING happened.
We had unwrapped pork pies on the tyrewall, NOTHING happened.
We had the entire post eathing pork pies, NOTHING happened.

The results were rather disappointing.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 07:58 (Ref:1699088)   #7
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Funny, it was busy round at my post..... As I recall, I was drinking tea............
Old 1 Sep 2006, 08:11 (Ref:1699094)   #8
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnetON
For the A1GP we had a pork pie on every Armco upright, NOTHING happened.
We had unwrapped pork pies on the tyrewall, NOTHING happened.
We had the entire post eathing pork pies, NOTHING happened.

The results were rather disappointing.
Grant,
Were they Oirish Pork Pies?
If so, they might not have the same effect when used abroad (Brands Hatch) as they might at Mondello!
Plus, just leaving them on armco uprights, in itself is not good enough. You should have taken at least one bite from each to "Release" that secret ingredient which makes drivers crash into your post!

Come to Oulton to see how it's done properly

Personally I find trying to put waterproof leggins on whilst flagging is the perfect cue for destruction mayhem!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 08:25 (Ref:1699105)   #9
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell
Were they Oirish Pork Pies?
They were English pork pies, supplied by UK marshals as Stooooooo the observer had never heard of PPM (Pork Pie Magic). I even have a pic somewhere of the US team's car PASSING one of said pork pies.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 08:42 (Ref:1699112)   #10
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've found that the power of the pie increases with maturity. Reduced to clear pie always seems to have a far greater effect on the cars than a shiny new full priced pie
Old 1 Sep 2006, 09:26 (Ref:1699144)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravel_monkey
for more info on the attraction for pork pies speak to dave brand!!!!
Oi, leave me out of this!

I did, in fact, prove the 'inverse pork pie law' at the weekend. After a few very busy days on 'quiet' posts I tried an experiment a few weeks ago - took a pork pie with me for the first time ever, told everybody how busy we were going to be at Cascades, ate my pork pie as the Legends came out for their first practice session......nothing all day! So, after a hectic day on Saturday, both Ray Sumner & I decided to bring pork pies on Sunday. Race One, lap one, total mayhem; when all the mess had been cleared up we ate our pork pies - nothing more than the odd car in the gravel trap & a few pull-offs for the rest of the day. Monday, I ate my pork pie before any cars were let out; not one car was damaged at Shell!

Can we kill once & for all this rumour you're putting about that I am in some small way a bit of a magnet. Now let's see: not counting the odd gravel trap visitor & a few pull-offs, a self-igniting Golf, a three-wheeled Focus, a kit-car restored to kit form, two MG Midgets destroyed, a Formula Junior which lost a wheel, an RX7 hard into the Armco - but the fire was more or less out when he hit, & three severely battered Jag XKs, I'd call that a pretty quiet month.......
Old 1 Sep 2006, 09:32 (Ref:1699153)   #12
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They were English pork pies, supplied by UK marshals
They were bought fresh that morning from Dartford and were Ginsters. It was primarily done as a wind up for Stoo but failed miserably!

Ian
Old 1 Sep 2006, 10:23 (Ref:1699187)   #13
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley
They were bought fresh that morning from Dartford and were Ginsters. It was primarily done as a wind up for Stoo but failed miserably!

Ian
I wasn't going to name the guilty! lol
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1699205)   #14
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin
My top three guaranteeds:
  1. Putting on handcream (when flagging)
  2. Having a cup of tea
  3. Eating other people's food of any kind!

Haven't had a huge amount of success with pork pies, but tea is more or less guaranteed and handcream runs a close second!
This is true. During the 2004 Formula Ford Festival I commented to E.P. that it was a bit quiet at our post (4). She then said that having a cup of tea always worked. No sooner did she pour said cup of tea, two F.F.s careered off the armco right in front of us!!!!

p.s. looking forward to being on post with you again this year at the FFF (bring plenty of tea! )

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:12 (Ref:1699212)   #15
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I found at a rallycross with EP that Jaffa cakes and ciggerettes work everytime i had a jaffa cake and if EP had a smoke at the same time we seemed to get something to do!!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1699213)   #16
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It could just be that E.P. attracts incidents!!!!!!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:29 (Ref:1699222)   #17
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer_ni
I found at a rallycross with EP that Jaffa cakes and ciggerettes work everytime i had a jaffa cake and if EP had a smoke at the same time we seemed to get something to do!!
In my defence, every time we got a break, I lit a cigarette (actually the same one because I had to keep putting it out - I kept thinking we would get a gap between sessions and then they decided to let the cars go) so I was usually frantically trying to stub it out just as they were arriving, so technically it was every time you had a Jaffa cake and I was trying to stub out the one sad cigarette that I'd been attempting to smoke for the fourth time!

RallyX is a lot of fun, but not a lot of smoke breaks and whenever you think you've got one, they release the next batch!

If memory serves, I'm pretty sure there was tea involved there too!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:38 (Ref:1699225)   #18
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would it be worth invetigating varying foods for their magnetic properties...
For example if you could find a food that caused cars to crash on the near side of the track, and one on the far side, you could eat them together to keep the cars on track
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:40 (Ref:1699228)   #19
Jennifer_ni
Clears incidents with the POWER OF HER MIND!
Racer

Ireland
Co-Kildare
Jennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJennifer_ni should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just because i would throw away my jaffa cake when they let the cars go!! Its nt my fault their yum!!!!!!!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1699230)   #20
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well Chezza proved that the pork pies work at Silverstone when her one pie resulted in a driver extraction opposite the Abbey box, a spectacular lost wheel and Whizzo in the gravel trap at Bridge - all in the same race! We were at Farm, by the way.
Old 1 Sep 2006, 11:54 (Ref:1699236)   #21
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, at Brands last weekend I thought that someone in the houses behind post 17 was baking pork pies

We had a quiet day on Sunday at 11 / 12 until I put on my gloves for the GT race.... then we had a Porker & Ascari in.....
Old 1 Sep 2006, 12:32 (Ref:1699253)   #22
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley
They were bought fresh that morning from Dartford and were Ginsters.
Ah, there's your problem.....Ginsters! Only real pork pies work!
Old 1 Sep 2006, 18:50 (Ref:1699450)   #23
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
Can we kill once & for all this rumour you're putting about that I am in some small way a bit of a magnet. Now let's see: not counting the odd gravel trap visitor & a few pull-offs, a self-igniting Golf, a three-wheeled Focus, a kit-car restored to kit form, two MG Midgets destroyed, a Formula Junior which lost a wheel, an RX7 hard into the Armco - but the fire was more or less out when he hit, & three severely battered Jag XKs, I'd call that a pretty quiet month.......
Dave.....

Can i be on post with you again?

Old 1 Sep 2006, 19:59 (Ref:1699513)   #24
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've found that eating a pork pie whilst watching a race on the telly works too!

Doesn't seem to matter what kind of race or where in the world it's from. You can guarantee that if I start munching on a pork pie, something will fall off.

Oh, and they work on bikes if I'm spectating as well
Old 2 Sep 2006, 20:58 (Ref:1700243)   #25
wensleydale
Veteran

England
Asp tested the reduced pie theory earlier today only to find they had a delayed reaction built in. Two attacks on the pie, two red flags due to incidents close to the post.