Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 19 Jan 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1204615)   #1
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario rates Bourdais over JPM

I know that this has been discussed before, but I find it rather interesting that Mario rates Bourdais so well.
Did Frank miss the boat on this one?

“‘Montoya is just flat out,’ I said, ‘and sometimes I don’t think he knows why. This guy is technical. You guys are missing the boat.’”

http://speedtv.com/articles/auto/autoindustry/14760/
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Jan 2005, 13:39 (Ref:1204695)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Yeh, interesting that he would go to those lengths, isnt it? Who knows, he could be right. Perhaps Mario could join Martin Short in Bourdais' fan club.........
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:31 (Ref:1204739)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's true that setup isn't JPM's strongest asset, but by having the right people around you (Mo Nunn was ideal, Patrick Head good, and McLaren's team should be fine), it becomes a better asset than a steady, smooth driver like Seb. Comparing their 2 seasons (thus far) in ChampCars, I'd say JPM showed a lot more against much stronger opposition, so I'd have to disagree with Mario here.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1204744)   #4
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Id rather have Bourdais in my F1 car though.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 15:38 (Ref:1204792)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's pretty interesting that Mario would call up Frank to give him a peice of his mind. I imagine Bourdais wishes Mario had done that several months ago. I don't know...I think Bourdais could do well in F1, but I still see his problems under pressure as a big "if," before predicting just how well he could do.

I don't really get JPM's F1 performance. If he's truely that weak on the technical side, has a special effort been made to try to train him and make him better? How can someone who appears to feel the car and the road like no other, not be able to tell their engineer what is wrong with the car and make some sort of suggestion? Regarding his overall F1 pace, often he looks simply like any other top F1 driver, but sometimes he'll do something fantastic that the others couldn't hope to do. Another factor is when was the last time JPM looked happy? I think it was back in CC. He's an emotional guy, maybe this is part of it? Back in CC every corner was magic.

Last edited by Snrub; 19 Jan 2005 at 15:40.
Old 19 Jan 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1204842)   #6
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bourdais is 25 and technically excellent. The only reason he's not in F1 is because he wasn't prepared to sign a management contract with Briatore I guess.........
Old 19 Jan 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1204895)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
When Mario has his own Formula One team, he can employ which ever driver he wants to...
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1206354)   #8
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario doesn't say a lot of thigns that aren't accurate, but I think this is an exception. Montoya shone much mroe quickly in both ChampCars and F3000.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1206416)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
When Mario has his own Formula One team, he can employ which ever driver he wants to...
And until he does, he can freely comment as he wishes like the rest of us.......
Old 21 Jan 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1206422)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Absolutely, but most of us don't go phoning Frank Williams to "give him a piece of our minds"
Old 21 Jan 2005, 14:42 (Ref:1206453)   #11
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't have Franks number.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Jan 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1206459)   #12
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had it but I've misplaced it.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 21 Jan 2005, 17:53 (Ref:1206577)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Oswald Stumpledinck has it.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:30 (Ref:1206613)   #14
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Oswald Stumpledinck has it.
Yes, but will Frank still talk to Oswald after that crazy stunt he pulled back in '88?
Old 21 Jan 2005, 18:31 (Ref:1206615)   #15
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think when you're Mario Andretti people are happy to hear your opinion, 35 years of racing experience in many different top level series means you probably know something.
Old 21 Jan 2005, 19:06 (Ref:1206641)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
^ I agree to a certain extent, but imo, Frank Williams, Jean Todt, Ron Dennis, etc. have big egoes and i'm not so sure that they would take Mario's 'opinion' to heart.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 00:21 (Ref:1206829)   #17
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes but Frank did take the call. I think the fact that Frank asked Mario the question of SB vs JPM is evidence that he had open ears. It will come to be next year I believe if SB repeats as Champion again. In fact, he may have a broader choice of teams if he does.
Old 22 Jan 2005, 00:49 (Ref:1206841)   #18
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
^ Didn't Mario call Frank to give his .02 cents on Seb VS JPM or did Mr. Williams go out of his way to ask for Mario's advice

Tags
jpm