Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: Which track will be added to the 2016 WEC calendar?
Montreal 10 16.13%
Mexico City 9 14.52%
Monza 23 37.10%
Interlagos 14 22.58%
Other, .... [please name] 6 9.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6 Aug 2016, 17:39 (Ref:3663834)   #1151
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Do the FIA track rules allow LMP1s on Grade 2 tracks, except of LM like Monaco for F1, or is it just F1 who's limited to Grade 1? Honestly asking as I wasn't sure if it was a series preference or part of the rules.

As much as I would love a WEC round at Road Atlanta, IMSA ownership excluded, there's no way the track can accommodate what it seems the teams want in its current state. No garages to speak of so race garage haulers would have to be shipped and they aren't fitting in the already tight air crates. Laguna Seca has a lot of restrictions that could cost them another event to accommodate the WEC. Sounds like Road America would be the winner outside of COTA for a WEC event over any other US track. Do they have the garages, etc that the WEC seems to require or at least prefer?
I think a while back out was said that Indy was the only track currently possible for wec in the us.
Old 6 Aug 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3663835)   #1152
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
IIRC, LMP1s are allowed to use Grade 2 circuits, it's just that they choose not to.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 06:46 (Ref:3664521)   #1153
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
In Midweek motorsport, Hindy and Graham think that the future of factory participation is going to be in GTE Pro, not LMP1. Makes sense. It ain't cheap but it still does not match the costs of LMP1 plus you are running road based cars that people identify with.
Hi there - That's not what I said - What I said was that the prospects for NEW manufacturers were more in GTE Pro than in LMP1

I also said that the current budgets in LMP1 were putting off some prospective new factory programmes but that the current teams seem likely to be in it for the medium-term at least.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 06:49 (Ref:3664522)   #1154
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
IIRC, LMP1s are allowed to use Grade 2 circuits, it's just that they choose not to.
It's not even the lmp1 teams who choose this. I don't know who is in charge of the negotiations for hosting an event, but there has to be some sort of bar set that the tracks need to meet. I don't want to believe the WEC ONLY wants F1-tracks. But it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 07:06 (Ref:3664525)   #1155
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
It's not even the lmp1 teams who choose this. I don't know who is in charge of the negotiations for hosting an event, but there has to be some sort of bar set that the tracks need to meet. I don't want to believe the WEC ONLY wants F1-tracks. But it wouldn't surprise me if that's the case.
I have a feeling it has more to do with WEC wanting to have F1 class pit buildings etc. Can't have those VIP guests standing on a muddy field.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3664529)   #1156
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
My understanding - ref Class 1 - is that the principal reason is the level of track safety inherent in the ranking (Le Mans as a Class 2 circuit is, of course, the exception).
Old 9 Aug 2016, 16:51 (Ref:3664667)   #1157
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I think that the LMP1 privateer class adopting DPI regs could be a big help to making the class make sense beyond being a two team formula right now.

We know that most carmakers aren't interested in spending Audi or Porsche money on LMP1, or even Toyota money, or even a sizable fraction of that. And we know that with the way things are, private teams won't be competitive with factory teams because of financial and technical gaps.

So I see two solutions: Either "wind back the clock" back to the way things were circa 2000, or allow some limited factory involvement in LMP1 privateer. IMO, it's a win-win. Privateers can have meaningful competition and can get hooked to "customer" manufacturer deals, while carmakers can be involved in LMP1 without having to spend insane amounts of money, and can, like in the GT classes, point to winning their class.
Old 9 Aug 2016, 19:07 (Ref:3664699)   #1158
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
I think that the LMP1 privateer class adopting DPI regs could be a big help to making the class make sense beyond being a two team formula right now.

We know that most carmakers aren't interested in spending Audi or Porsche money on LMP1, or even Toyota money, or even a sizable fraction of that. And we know that with the way things are, private teams won't be competitive with factory teams because of financial and technical gaps.

So I see two solutions: Either "wind back the clock" back to the way things were circa 2000, or allow some limited factory involvement in LMP1 privateer. IMO, it's a win-win. Privateers can have meaningful competition and can get hooked to "customer" manufacturer deals, while carmakers can be involved in LMP1 without having to spend insane amounts of money, and can, like in the GT classes, point to winning their class.
I don't think there is anything preventing Toyota, Porsche and Audi from assisting a Privateer team. They just don't want to as they are fully occupied with running their own teams.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 12:07 (Ref:3665108)   #1159
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
http://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/m...mexico-806448/

That's the worst idea in the history of sports car racing.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 13:18 (Ref:3665122)   #1160
bentley speed 8
Veteran

Sri Lanka
bentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbentley speed 8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Prepare the red/yellow flags already marshals!
Haven't followed him much. Was he in F1 just for money or did he have some sort of skill?
Old 11 Aug 2016, 13:32 (Ref:3665127)   #1161
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
He had the skill of bringing truck loads of money to the series + keeping the carbon fiber repair shops in business!
Old 11 Aug 2016, 13:49 (Ref:3665131)   #1162
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
He's won a Grand Prix.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 15:47 (Ref:3665147)   #1163
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It's called One Hit Wonder.

Anyway cash cash cash that's what matters.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 16:49 (Ref:3665161)   #1164
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
He's won a Grand Prix.
He's also had so many accidents that he's got a website dedicating to if he's crashed on any particular day or not. Just what endurance racing needs.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 17:09 (Ref:3665164)   #1165
CTD
Veteran

Denmark
Aarhus, Jylland, Denmark
CTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameCTD will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
http://hasmaldonadocrashedtoday.com
Old 11 Aug 2016, 17:17 (Ref:3665166)   #1166
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
It'll be exciting!
Old 11 Aug 2016, 17:40 (Ref:3665176)   #1167
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I thought the money drains of Venezuela had exhausted already though.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 17:46 (Ref:3665182)   #1168
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I'm willing to give him a chance. P2's have fenders so if he's going wheel to wheel, he wont take off a front wing or cut a tire.
Old 11 Aug 2016, 17:50 (Ref:3665185)   #1169
Deleted
Veteran

Malucelli didn't crash out this year at LM either, which in truth was probably the biggest surprise of the year (apart from the Toyota debacle), so Maldonado has hope of not sending the Oreca to scrapyard.
Old 12 Aug 2016, 10:18 (Ref:3665334)   #1170
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I don't know what to expect from the Crashtor, the first time he will be a sportscar driver, and the other drivers are going to be on the lookout for him when he is driving the car. I just want to see if it is Jerykl or Hyde who turns up to the series
Old 12 Aug 2016, 14:01 (Ref:3665370)   #1171
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Probably all three of them!
Old 13 Aug 2016, 01:52 (Ref:3665460)   #1172
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
My understanding - ref Class 1 - is that the principal reason is the level of track safety inherent in the ranking (Le Mans as a Class 2 circuit is, of course, the exception).
A current Grade 2 can be re-evaluated as a Grade 1/1T.... for example, Road America would meet the safety aspects, but it wouldn't meet Grade 1 from an additional infrastructure standpoint. Hotels/VIP suites, modern updated pit complex, traffic options etc...

The FIA grading is a stupidly complex procedure that has less to do with motorsport, and more to do with financial appeasement.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 13 Aug 2016, 20:20 (Ref:3665527)   #1173
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
A current Grade 2 can be re-evaluated as a Grade 1/1T.... for example, Road America would meet the safety aspects, but it wouldn't meet Grade 1 from an additional infrastructure standpoint. Hotels/VIP suites, modern updated pit complex, traffic options etc...

The FIA grading is a stupidly complex procedure that has less to do with motorsport, and more to do with financial appeasement.
I doubt the Kink will pass the 'FIA Grade 1 protocol', not nearly enough run off for the parking lot lovers...
Old 13 Aug 2016, 21:15 (Ref:3665533)   #1174
TF110
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
I doubt the Kink will pass the 'FIA Grade 1 protocol', not nearly enough run off for the parking lot lovers...
Yes, a concrete wall a few meters from the track at 170mph is what we should have There has to be some type of middle ground
Old 13 Aug 2016, 23:05 (Ref:3665540)   #1175
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Grade 1 safety standards are not quite the way people think.

The runoffs on the older post-Senna tracks like Sepang are actually considered too big now and certain legacy corners get off easy.

In the case of the kink it's not like it's a corner you just blow the entry and go straight on, crashes are generally in the form of sideswiping the wall on exit in which case a soft wall might be considered enough. Chicane is already there anyways.