Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Feb 2008, 01:24 (Ref:2129278)   #1
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Looking for Sebring 2008 advice/help

Hey up,

First off, apologies if this is in the wrong place - I don't know if it should be in another thread or forum.

My company is looking like it might be sending me to work in Miami on week commencing 17th. I've done LM and commonly go to GT events around the UK but as I would never normally have the chance to spend the money on getting to another continent, Sebring was always a long-term dream I'd had but never something I thought I'd have the possibiliity to do at this point. It may not work out but I'd like to gauge if it would be possible.

Basically, I'd like to know if anyone could offer any advice on whether it's reasonably easy to get up to Sebring from Miami if I arrived at the airport on Friday (and back on Sunday). Are there any other Europeans making the trip or does anyone else expect to be travelling from southern Florida who may be able to offer me advice on the best way to get there?

Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 01:37 (Ref:2129283)   #2
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rodger,

My group is heading from Atlanta, so I can't offer assitance in getting to Sebring from Miami. I imagine there are some other folks headed that direction that would be willing to help. If not, I would suggest renting a car and making the drive (I think it's a couple of hours). On the way you could stop at a Wal-Mart or sporting goods store to pick up a cheap tent and a cooler/groceries. Once your at the track, I could provide assitance you need like a place to grill food, show you around, etc. Of course that's the easy part.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 02:22 (Ref:2129299)   #3
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Miami to Sebring is an easy 3 hour drive up US Hwy 27.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 05:18 (Ref:2129329)   #4
BMWguy
Rookie

United States
BMWguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugewally
Miami to Sebring is an easy 3 hour drive up US Hwy 27.
Agreed. 27 is all good road and should be lightly trafficked early Sat. You should try to arrive at track entrance by 8am to avoid queues. It is a fabulous event so plan on spending the entire 12hrs there if your schedule allows. You can return south on 27 and find a motel for a few hours rest on the way back. Enjoy!

Cheers
Old 15 Feb 2008, 07:17 (Ref:2129353)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Dont forget to check out the track food . Its brilliant there , unlike Le Mans !!!
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:17 (Ref:2129743)   #6
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Start HERE . The Circuit's home page link has changed. Use THIS one.

Parking inside the track may be limited or shut down completely by the time you get there Saturday. You can park in designated areas and a tram will shuttle you into the track. Best bet would be to drive up after work FRI if you don't mind sleeping in your car (no hotel/motel rooms remain within ~50 miles). There will be a lot of spectator "activity" on FRI night.

PM if you have any other questions.
. . .
Old 15 Feb 2008, 18:28 (Ref:2129745)   #7
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the help guys. Is renting a car a possibility considering my 21 years of age? Not to worry about the costs, Alamo seem to suggest about £50 but I don't know if there's any rules about ages on foreign people renting.

Thanks for the motel tip, I should probably try the US as seen in films at one point. Also, how easy and cheap is finding camping at the track? I'm ambitiously weighing up the possibility of travelling on the Thursday and seeing if I can catch a likely once only view of the SpeedGT and Touring series that I've heard so much about.

TheBear: good idea about the car sleeping thing. I'm still chuckling at what passes for a 'compact' car in the States so that should be a definite possibility. And if not, who needs sleep?
Old 15 Feb 2008, 20:10 (Ref:2129809)   #8
Hugewally
Veteran

United States
Largo, FL USA
Hugewally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe if you're 21 or older, then renting won't be a problem. Best check with the rental car company to be sure.

If you're able to get your car inside the track, then camping really isn't a problem as long as you can find a spot to park the car.

You can always ask around with these guys too - http://www.sebringfans.com/forums/

Old 15 Feb 2008, 21:26 (Ref:2129850)   #9
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies

TheBear: good idea about the car sleeping thing. I'm still chuckling at what passes for a 'compact' car in the States so that should be a definite possibility. And if not, who needs sleep?
Funny part is many Americans wont rent compact cars, as they are TOO small.

Be careful around Miami Airport, Not a safe place.

Remember we drive on the RIGHT SIDE of the road, Not the wrong errr Left side

Have fun and bring back pictures

Last edited by AU N EGL; 15 Feb 2008 at 21:28.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 23:35 (Ref:2129951)   #10
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Again, if you need assitance once at the track, I could help out. We probably have an extra tent too.
Old 15 Feb 2008, 23:48 (Ref:2129961)   #11
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Here is a link to the ALAMO (US) website. See what they have to say.

They ask you what country you live in so that is a start. If you need other US rental car links, just ask. Watch out for those that are "local' companies operating in/around the Miami airport. Services can be `testy' at times.

Also make sure that whatever car you pick up has the appropriate ammount of gas listed on your rental agreement as the the `fuel filling' drones use maximum flow and it shuts off way too soon. They then indicate a `full tank' on their records when in fact the gas gage can start to drop before you leave the pick-up lot. In most of the cars, "FULL" means the indicator is above the "F" on the gage.

Old 16 Feb 2008, 02:03 (Ref:2130004)   #12
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebear
There will be a lot of spectator "activity" on FRI night.
:

hmmmmmmm, I need to check the dictionary and see if the word 'activity' is sufficient to describe Green Park on Friday night.......

robert