Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 6 Aug 2003, 21:05 (Ref:681595)   #1
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
12-round Days Of Thunder Series At Rockingham And Million-dollar Prize Fund In 2004

Quote:
From www.rockingham.co.uk

12-ROUND DAYS OF THUNDER SERIES AT ROCKINGHAM AND MILLION-DOLLAR PRIZE FUND IN 2004

The Days of Thunder series will continue to stage unrivalled motorsport entertainment in 2004, with confirmation of a one million-dollar prize fund and unique 12-round fixture list, with six 'mega weekends'at Rockingham next year. This means that the Days of Thunder teams and drivers will race exclusively at Rockingham on the first Sunday of every month from May to October 2004.

The series will build on the huge success of the 2003 initiative to make Days of Thunder race meetings family-based entertainment packages. Top bands including Busted and Liberty X have entertained race fans on stage, Kym Marsh and Triple 8 are expected to be an even bigger draw at the LEGO Racers 200 event on August 24. The three Days of Thunder events at the circuit so far this year have each averaged over 30,000 spectators through the turnstiles.

This year's million-dollar prize fund has proved to be equally successful in attracting teams and drivers, with 25 drivers having competed so far in 2003 and more expected to join the series both next month and for the final Texaco 200 event on September 28. The combination of finishers' payments down to 14th place, controlled costs and low levels of car value depreciation mean that Days of Thunder racing offers teams the most cost-effective budget of any major series and is attracting major sponsors ranging such as LEGO, McDonalds and even the Territorial Army.

Rockingham's CEO Ashley Pover, who created the successful family entertainment concept, expects 2004 to be even more successful with more teams and drivers entering the series next season: "Rockingham has proved this year that Days of Thunder meetings are now major motorsport events on the British motorsport calendar. The crowd figures we are getting for each event cannot be ignored" says Pover. "For 2004, we'll concentrate on delivering top-quality entertainment, exclusively at Rockingham, on the same weekend in every month, to develop an even stronger supporter base."

"The combination of our million-dollar prize fund for the teams and drivers has been a great success in ensuring spectacular, but cost-effective racing. By focusing our attention on racing exclusively at Rockingham next season, it means that racing in the series will be more costeffective for those involved.

"We have a first-class facility here at Rockingham - every one can sit in comfort and watch these spectacular Days of Thunder muscle cars compete wheel-to-wheel on the oval at average lap speeds of over 150mph" says Pover. "They can then take the short walk to the stage behind the Rockingham building and watch a top-of-the-bill music event before they make their journey home. It's all about catering for families. They want a thoroughly memorable day out and we deliver it to them."

2004 DAYS OF THUNDER RACE DATES

Rounds 1 + 2 - 1/2 May
Rounds 3 + 4 - 5/6 June
Rounds 5 + 6 - 3/4 July
Rounds 7 + 8 - 31/1 August
Rounds 9 + 10 - 4/5 September
Rounds 11 + 12 - 2/3 October
Old 6 Aug 2003, 21:26 (Ref:681612)   #2
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
cool
Old 6 Aug 2003, 21:35 (Ref:681618)   #3
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Round 1 clashes with CART and BTCC and Brands Hatch (mind you only the first to days of the meet), and Round 9 clashes with Snetterton BTCC, so that will be tricky for those who follow both. Maybe we'll see which series attracts more spectators. Baring in mind the entertainment at the Rock aswell, maybe they will show the BTCC up.
Old 12 Aug 2003, 21:36 (Ref:686647)   #4
codename_47
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coventry/Birmingham
codename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcodename_47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just Rockingham???

That's a damn shame.....the buzz at the beginning of the year was that we'd have two new european ovals and perhaps a few road courses in addition to the Rock and Lauzitz....now all that's happened is that we've lost one track....boo-hoo

Perhaps one race could be on the rockinghame in-field track to add a bit of variety? :confused:
Old 14 Aug 2003, 09:56 (Ref:687935)   #5
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who needs the Eurospeedway?????

a) its poorly supported

b) it costs too much for all the teams to travel to
Old 14 Aug 2003, 21:01 (Ref:688540)   #6
kimi020
Rookie

kimi020 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a waste of time going to germany to race in front of empty grandstands when they get 30,000+ at rockingham. I watch ASCAR on Motors Tv but I dont think I would go and watch it. I would rather go and see BTCC/F1/F3/GT than go to a 'family day' at rockingham.
Old 15 Aug 2003, 17:25 (Ref:689219)   #7
Muppet
Racer

Muppet should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's smart thinking to build up ASCAR within the UK. When we regularly have 30+ cars and huge fan-base then and only then start taking the series into Europe. By which time, hopefully Eurospeedway will be back on it's feet and we'll also have Warneton and maybe some others?

ASCAR provides a great LIVE show with V8 soundtrack to match! The commentary trackside is also less vomit-inducing. I know Paul and I like Steve's F3 work but together they "cheapen" the whole show. Maybe put Darren Turner alongside Steve?