Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Jul 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1668247)   #1
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Silverstone Classic

Just got home but had to post a big thank you both personally and on behalf of the HSCC (and I'm sure I can include the Silverstone organisation in that) for 3 long hard days marshalling that helped to make the event the success that it undoubtedly has been. I had too many 'thank you's' from drivers to pass on individually but a lot of these guys and girls race all over Europe (and the rest of the world) and said it was so great to be able to know that could trust the flagging and incident handling like nowhere else. Special thanks to those involved in what was the biggest fire I've seen for years and also for rescuing Barrie Williams from his upturned car.
I'm absolutely shattered and I bet you all are too - even by the time you get round to reading this!
Thank you all once again.
Old 30 Jul 2006, 21:38 (Ref:1668280)   #2
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could not agree more! Just walking through the Paddock this morning and having drivers come to talk to you. Mega thanks for not stopping our lunch breaks etc.

And also thanks for the safety car during the pre 61 gp cars, that was a bugger

This weekend has made me realise why I started marshalling
Old 30 Jul 2006, 21:41 (Ref:1668284)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee
Just got home but had to post a big thank you both personally and on behalf of the HSCC (and I'm sure I can include the Silverstone organisation in that) for 3 long hard days marshalling that helped to make the event the success that it undoubtedly has been. I had too many 'thank you's' from drivers to pass on individually but a lot of these guys and girls race all over Europe (and the rest of the world) and said it was so great to be able to know that could trust the flagging and incident handling like nowhere else. Special thanks to those involved in what was the biggest fire I've seen for years and also for rescuing Barrie Williams from his upturned car.
I'm absolutely shattered and I bet you all are too - even by the time you get round to reading this!
Thank you all once again.
John, so sorry that we weren't marshalling this weekend but we did man the marshals recruiting stand. We have had lots of interest and hopefully numbers will increase because of this meeting.

Barrie came to see us late on this afternoon and I've posted a separate thead on his behalf (bless him, he might be able to pedal a car, but he can't work a PC)
Old 30 Jul 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1668287)   #4
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Sheila, I spoke to you earlier and didnt introduce myself. I didnt have my name badge on though. You seemed to be doing a good job there
Old 30 Jul 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1668303)   #5
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Hi Sheila, I spoke to you earlier and didnt introduce myself. I didnt have my name badge on though. You seemed to be doing a good job there

Ahhh I THINK I might know which one of the hoardes you were! Let me guess, you were the one in HSCC "uniform"?
Old 30 Jul 2006, 22:04 (Ref:1668311)   #6
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
Nope I was the young BOB with my suit down during the "church break"
Old 30 Jul 2006, 22:05 (Ref:1668314)   #7
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_D
Nope I was the young BOB with my suit down during the "church break"
Oh dear - we had loads of them!!
Old 30 Jul 2006, 22:08 (Ref:1668318)   #8
Fay
Veteran

England
Silverstone
Fay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to give my personal thanks to all the marshals over the 3 days. It certainly made my life a lot easier to have nearly all the posts manned with Observers and Flags, even on Friday.

Hopefully next year will be even better, with not such long days.

I think the highlight of the races for me was the BRDC 50s Sportscars with Simon Hadfield and Graham Dodd battling for the race lead.

I hope to see you all soon.

Fay Crook
Chief Marshal
Old 30 Jul 2006, 23:33 (Ref:1668381)   #9
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had a really great weekend, thank you to all!!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:04 (Ref:1668623)   #10
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks also to Hegarty Insurance for the bacon butties and hot drinks each morning -- most welcome.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 09:25 (Ref:1668647)   #11
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheila M
John, so sorry that we weren't marshalling this weekend but we did man the marshals recruiting stand. We have had lots of interest and hopefully numbers will increase because of this meeting.

Barrie came to see us late on this afternoon and I've posted a separate thead on his behalf (bless him, he might be able to pedal a car, but he can't work a PC)
Sheila

Probably just as well you weren't - you would have had kittens at some of the antics in the pit lane!!!

Sorry that I didn't get to pop over and see you but the timetable was non stop as you know!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 11:04 (Ref:1668756)   #12
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Degerlund
Thanks also to Hegarty Insurance for the bacon butties and hot drinks each morning -- most welcome.
Yeah, was really good of them to supply Rolls and coffee, but next time can I have meat free bacon!!

Had a great time, good action, and friendly people.

Back in two weeks!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 11:57 (Ref:1668812)   #13
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A great meeting - long days but well worth it. I enjoyed everything except the idiot who stopped on the track at Maggots then just sat there with his hand in the air With the shortage of incident marshals there were probably none who would have seen him stop so I had to leave my (single-manned) flagpoint and go fetch! He didn't even get out of the car to help push until it was already on the grass. His excuse "I thought it was only a misfire". Don't misfires cure themselves on the grass? He got a lecture from me and was also talked to by the Clerk I believe.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1668836)   #14
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Bryan

Good to see you again.

Amen to what you said......

Great butties and cuppa tea

Paula Hamilton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Degerlund
Old 31 Jul 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1668902)   #15
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If I can just add to Clerk John Smiths Thank You. For me it was the most enjoyable meeting of the season, Team work was fab.
Driving the Aston Vanguish Sport was interesting, very fast but nothing else impresed with it.
Here's to next year.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1669099)   #16
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Had a great time - despite being all on my own on the Hangar Straight on Friday.

Great bunch on Saturday at Farm (both sides) - and great to work with Steve after such a long time of not seeing him. Also met Chezza, so another face to go with a name.

Day off on Sunday well spent nattering to all and sundry in the paddock, again folks not seen for far too long.

Roll on the Gold Cup at Oulton!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1669131)   #17
Robin_D
Veteran

Warwickshire, UK
I was at Maggots all 3 days and didnt see him, Sorry Gerry

Weekend got off to a pants start as in the 1st session I fell over a rock trying to rescue an escaped wheel. a sliced hand and 3 butterfly ditches were the result.

Whoops.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:38 (Ref:1669175)   #18
Gizmo
Racer

Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Gizmo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
If I can just add to Clerk John Smiths Thank You. For me it was the most enjoyable meeting of the season, Team work was fab.
Driving the Aston Vanguish Sport was interesting, very fast but nothing else impresed with it.
Here's to next year.
.....doesn`t have a very big fuel tank either does it?.....
Old 31 Jul 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1669185)   #19
john souch
Rookie

john souch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a great weekend at bridge,glad whizzo is ok after the roll,the incident marshals did a great job uprighting the car with Barry in it.Has anybody seen the daily express today page 68 a familiar face I think.
Old 31 Jul 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1669194)   #20
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought the Rolls were only for the Marshals!!!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:26 (Ref:1669357)   #21
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abbey on Friday and Copse exit Sat and Sun - good team, a few pull offs and lots of great racing. Good on the camp site too, but very long days (too long) so extremely kernackered
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:34 (Ref:1669368)   #22
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is my one gripe with the meeting. The days were very long and there wasn't any time for us to get off post to have a look at stuff!
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:36 (Ref:1669372)   #23
Grandslammer
Veteran

Wales
Grandslammer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agree about the long days,just about recovered
Stowe in on Friday,Club out Sat/Sun....big grids,some close racing and a friendly wave from the Drivers
A tad too windy on Saturday though
Old 31 Jul 2006, 21:37 (Ref:1669373)   #24
wensleydale
Veteran

England
wensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwensleydale should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
That is my one gripe with the meeting. The days were very long and there wasn't any time for us to get off post to have a look at stuff!
thats ok, wait till the gold cup in a few weeks, you'll be able to look at the cars all sunday morning
Old 31 Jul 2006, 22:41 (Ref:1669430)   #25
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes true, the days were long, but what a wonderful event.

Thanks to all on Club (Friday) and Copse (Saturday and Sunday), I was made to feel very welcome. Some super racing and some super cars and motorcycles too.
looking forward to next year already.