Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 20 Sep 2009, 21:08 (Ref:2544541)   #26
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asp View Post
I'm not sure exactly what options are open to the FIA - but I hope that Renault don't get the book thrown at them.
There's no evidence in the public domain that the team at large was complicit in what happened. And losing an entire team of the stature of Renault would be bad for the sport - not to mention the personal affect to all of Renault's employees.
BUT - if the FIA are to be consistant in their approach then they have to throw the book at Renault. Just a few people in McLaren knew about the Ferrari docs yet the whole team gets punished, the same has to go for Renault. I don't want to see them go either but what they did amounts to reckless endangerment of peoples lives, OUR lives as well as that of their driver and spectators. Thats a hell of a lot worse than gaining a competitive advantage in my eyes...
Old 20 Sep 2009, 21:22 (Ref:2544553)   #27
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is indeed true... Piquet should be banned for life for actioning the event (ultimately he did or didn't do what we're all debating)... team ordered or not, he did the crime.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 07:15 (Ref:2544699)   #28
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he won't tho 'cos he was given immunity, probably to entice him to help catch a bigger fish - ie. Flav.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:04 (Ref:2544769)   #29
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
So, if he's immune from sanction by the FIA what do we do about a driver that will countenance deliberatly putting others at increased risk?

Me, if ever in my future race meetings young Piquet crashes in my sector I might just go and give him a kick with the old steel toecapped boots just to make sure he really requires a safety car intervention.

(Only slightly joking, as far as i'm concerned this guy has committed a greater crime than Pastor Maldonado did at Monaco, and I'd have banned Maldonado for life)
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2544775)   #30
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
What if the Marshalls all refused to work at the next GP? Where would Bernie and Max and the rest of these money grabbing scumbags be then?
What happened when all the American air traffic controllers went on strike?

Answer - they were rapidly replaced. (By people with lesser levels of training and experience).

As F1 events in some racing backwaters show, the quality of the vast majority of marshals is not that important. All the FIA require is someone to flick the switch on the flag lights when commanded and to sweep the crap off the track before and after. All some people think they need is CCTV, backed up by snatch and intervention vehicles. Overseen by 1/2 a dozen paid employees in race control.

I think anything else we can do is a bonus to them.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 09:48 (Ref:2544795)   #31
Bryan Degerlund
Veteran

England
Dartford
Bryan Degerlund should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Several years back, when the FIA first introduced inspection laps, there was a threatened mutiny from the marshals at Silverstone. The Race Director's (pre Charlie Whiting) response -- OK, they can all go home, by tomorrow morning I will be able to fly in sufficient marshals from Belgium to provide adequate cover. We now have regular Steward's parades, not just at F1 but most FIA meetings.

Back to thread !

Last edited by Bryan Degerlund; 21 Sep 2009 at 09:54. Reason: additional comment.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2544808)   #32
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
What happened when all the American air traffic controllers went on strike?

Answer - they were rapidly replaced. (By people with lesser levels of training and experience).

As F1 events in some racing backwaters show, the quality of the vast majority of marshals is not that important. All the FIA require is someone to flick the switch on the flag lights when commanded and to sweep the crap off the track before and after. All some people think they need is CCTV, backed up by snatch and intervention vehicles. Overseen by 1/2 a dozen paid employees in race control.

I think anything else we can do is a bonus to them.
Deserves a thread of its own - and there have been many in the past!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2545012)   #33
Bezzers1986
Racer

England
East Anglia
Bezzers1986 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two-year suspended ban, so nothing much really:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/8266090.stm

Though:

"Former team boss Flavio Briatore has been banned from FIA sanctioned events for an unlimited period."
and
"Ex-engineering director Pat Symonds has also been excluded for five years."

Good
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:22 (Ref:2545066)   #34
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's a nice twist on Briatore's punishment burried in the actual ruling:

"Furthermore, it does not intend to renew any Superlicence granted to any driver who is associated (through a management contract or otherwise) with Mr. Briatore, or any entity or individual associated with Mr. Briatore."

From this threads point of view that takes away any influence he might have on drivers in future
Old 21 Sep 2009, 16:37 (Ref:2545210)   #35
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
There's a nice twist on Briatore's punishment burried in the actual ruling:

"Furthermore, it does not intend to renew any Superlicence granted to any driver who is associated (through a management contract or otherwise) with Mr. Briatore, or any entity or individual associated with Mr. Briatore."

From this threads point of view that takes away any influence he might have on drivers in future
Makes QPR an intersting prospect - doesn't a Mr. Ecclestone share an interest in that team with Flav?

Surely there must be some influence, or at least rumours of influence through there?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2545233)   #36
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Unbelievable. They admit its the worse offence in motorsport history and yet let the team off with a suspended 2 year ban. Where's the consistency with that and the McLaren saga? They got probation AND a huge fine + DQ, yet also took the same kind of steps Renault have. I'm glad to see Flav go and Symonds get a 5 year ban for their part but i don't see how the team's punishment fits the crime when compared to recent events..
Old 21 Sep 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2545362)   #37
greenbean
Racer

New Zealand
brierley hill west mids
greenbean should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hepatic View Post
Unbelievable. They admit its the worse offence in motorsport history and yet let the team off with a suspended 2 year ban. Where's the consistency with that and the McLaren saga? They got probation AND a huge fine + DQ, yet also took the same kind of steps Renault have. I'm glad to see Flav go and Symonds get a 5 year ban for their part but i don't see how the team's punishment fits the crime when compared to recent events..
i agree renault should of lost all their points from this year and been fined as well as there two year ban . this means that the fia are saying that putting somebodys life in danger is less inportant than using some body else is design .but then again it was a ferrari design
Old 21 Sep 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2545462)   #38
Power Bulge
Racer

England
Rochdale
Power Bulge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Disgraceful.

But am I surprised? No. A total lack of consistency in the decison-making is the only consistency in F1.

Still, gives us something to talk about
Old 22 Sep 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2545763)   #39
Marshal Greybeard
Rookie

England
Raunds
Marshal Greybeard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault

Presumably, in the inteest of fair play, the FIA will now repay McLaren the $100m fine!!! Oink Oink.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2545852)   #40
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshal Greybeard View Post
Presumably, in the inteest of fair play, the FIA will now repay McLaren the $100m fine!!! Oink Oink.
are they flying??
Old 22 Sep 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2545939)   #41
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Since this has moved away from the effects on marshals part of the discussion, may I invite you to join the main discussion on this subject over in the F1 forum