Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Aug 2004, 07:29 (Ref:1060720)   #1
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed Sunday Matt Smith "F1 boring"

i dont know about the rest of you but i'm pretty cheesed of with matt smiths comments about f1 such as "F1s boring", if thats his opinion he really shouldnt be presenting a motorsport program.

People tune in to speed sunday because they like motorsport, so they really dont want to hear that.

Comments like that completley undermine the rest of the show, whats the point of having a feature on it if its boring?

It seems pretty obvious that matt smith is both ignorant of F1 and the millions of loyal fans it has.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 07:36 (Ref:1060729)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
But F1 is boring...
Except for the thousands of spectators who watch the race live at the circuits, ofcourse...

Blame Bernie...
He's worse than a drug dealer, making many fans hooked on the digital service and then taking it away. *shake fist agrily*
Old 9 Aug 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1060733)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: Speed Sunday Matt Smith "F1 boring"

Quote:
Originally posted by btcc-thunder
i dont know about the rest of you but i'm pretty cheesed of with matt smiths comments about f1 such as "F1s boring", if thats his opinion he really shouldnt be presenting a motorsport program.

People tune in to speed sunday because they like motorsport, so they really dont want to hear that.

Comments like that completley undermine the rest of the show, whats the point of having a feature on it if its boring?

It seems pretty obvious that matt smith is both ignorant of F1 and the millions of loyal fans it has.

But you're making the assumption that F1 is the only motorsport worth watching and talking about, aren't you? There are plenty of people around who find F1 currently very boring and those who do might like to hear comment/discussion about it. Just because Speed Sunday should like motorsport, it doesn't mean that every presenter/guest etc. should find F1 exciting right now.....
Old 9 Aug 2004, 07:47 (Ref:1060742)   #4
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
check out my forum id, im actually a big fan of the btcc and motorsport generally.

as for
"it doesn't mean that every presenter/guest etc. should find F1 exciting right now..... "

i guess you're right but i dont think theres any need to come out with a comment like that cold with no backing, and to be honest with all the driver changes and teams closing the gap to schumey i think f1 is pretty interesting right now.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 07:55 (Ref:1060748)   #5
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Re: Speed Sunday Matt Smith "F1 boring"

Quote:
Originally posted by btcc-thunder
I'm quite happy for anyone to express their opinion, whether I agree or not.

Quote:
I don't watch Speed Sunday. Why? Too much F1!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1060838)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It has a throwaway comment anyway - about F1's driver changes being more exciting than the racing at the moment.

Anyway - Matt Smith critics will be pleased to know that was his last edition of the show.

In future it'll be on location with VBH, JP, Allan McNish and Angus Scott.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 10:17 (Ref:1060856)   #7
Son of Jor-El
Racer

Son of Jor-El should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Matt Smith the one with the rather loud voice?
If so I'm kind of glad someone else is taking over.

But on topic, I believe he was expressing the feelings of the majority of F1 TV viewers, and I agree with him, bar a couple of races i.e. Monaco and Germany.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 10:57 (Ref:1060887)   #8
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The people that think F1 is boring are the people who think that Football is exciting.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:12 (Ref:1060896)   #9
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
im glad hes going i dont believe he had any real interest in motorsport anyway.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1060897)   #10
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed Sunday's not really worth watching anyway, except for the live BTC, but I never think of that as part of Speed Sunday.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 11:18 (Ref:1060900)   #11
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed must agree with you btcc-thunder, Speed Sunday was simply something for him to do while the football was not on. Given that ITV no longer have the rights to the Premiership, I presume he's off to do the Coca Cola League show, that seems like a step up
Old 9 Aug 2004, 12:46 (Ref:1060981)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He will be doing "The Championship" on Sunday mornings, and various other football work for ITV.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 13:43 (Ref:1061038)   #13
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny Herbert gave Matt some stick a few Speed Sundays ago, it was all spot on.
His face used to light up when football was mentioned, Jim Rosenthal is the same. I won't miss him at all.
Everything is relative, yes, at times F1 can be less than exciting but compared to football it's not boring. I know many people like football AND F1 , but for those like myself that have no interest in ball games, sometimes we are over sensitive to criticism of motorsport ?
It's great to see presenters genuinely interested in whatever sport they are talking about, but why do motorsport shows have to be fronted by people with no interest, this wouldn't happen with football.
Maybe it is because more presenters like football !
Old 9 Aug 2004, 14:11 (Ref:1061064)   #14
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its never great when you have someone knocking the series that the show is largely about.

It was the same when John Watson seemed to dislike the BTCC in 2001, when he was commentating. He never seemed to have a good word to say about the drivers.

I'm not a mad f1 fan, and some races can be a little dull in parts sometimes, but I'm not a presenter of a show that should really be promoting f1...
Old 9 Aug 2004, 15:09 (Ref:1061124)   #15
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i love motorsport in general really ....They should show more Formula ford on speed sunday anyway ...cant find what tv stations are showing that this year ?...anyone know ?

anyway ..Formula Ford produces some F1 stars of tomorrow so they should show it on Speed sunday i reckon ...

( hey , i remember when Kimi raced at the Formula Ford Festival at Brands and was total rubbish ...that seems hard to believe now ! )

Last edited by Sato san; 9 Aug 2004 at 15:11.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 15:44 (Ref:1061153)   #16
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by touringcarnut

I'm not a mad f1 fan, and some races can be a little dull in parts sometimes, but I'm not a presenter of a show that should really be promoting f1...

I've only watched it once, but tell me, why should it be promoting F1?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 15:51 (Ref:1061164)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

ITV has spent millions on the rights to F1, so you'd expect they'd want people to watch!
Old 9 Aug 2004, 15:53 (Ref:1061168)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
That's true enough and yes, its what I'd expect, but a show called Speed Sunday should surely feature more than just F1 and we should also expect it to......too......
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1061196)   #19
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it needs more than f1 but most of its viewers watch it for F1, so f1 will be main proirity....... it was the same when bbc had the f1 most people tuned into grandstand to watch football so football had priority. its called democracy :P
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:54 (Ref:1061216)   #20
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We sort of have the same problem here in the States, with Speed Channel. They seem to show NASCAR 24/7, and they really should re-name the channel, NASCAR 24/7!

There reasoning is simple, NASCAR pays the bills. There are simply an overwhelming amount of fans for that series here, and the sponsorship is huge, so thats who they have to cater to. I imagine it's F1 for Europe, so those are the fans that get the focus there.

But, in all fairness to them, they have been giving us the best F1 coverage that I've ever seen here, and that will help its growth here, but it's still not enough to please me. That's life...

Danica Patrick
Old 9 Aug 2004, 16:55 (Ref:1061217)   #21
Fantasy GP610
Racer

Fantasy GP610 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was watching when Johnny Herbert had a right go at Matt Smith a couple of weeks ago.

Johnny was smiling when he said all this stuff (all true) but even so he landed a few punches

Last edited by Fantasy GP610; 9 Aug 2004 at 16:56.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:05 (Ref:1061223)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I missed Johnny Herbert having a go at Matt Smith. A transcript would be appreciated.

There's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion on F1. I love it, but have complained of the odd dull race.

Good old constructive criticism.

But for someone like Matt Smith to call the sport boring without foundation is a little stupid. He probably made that assumption from the results alone, as I'd say he doesn't watch it at all. Why in heavens name he presents the programme is beyond me. He is utterly clueless, and I want to hit his face repeatedly with a damp haddock.

Mark Webber was on the show the other week. Matt called him Mr Webster during the show, to his face. So he's obviously an informed and knowledgeable motorsports pundit.

Nah, stick to football mate. It's the easy option after all.
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1061257)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Wooshy
it needs more than f1 but most of its viewers watch it for F1, so f1 will be main proirity....... it was the same when bbc had the f1 most people tuned into grandstand to watch football so football had priority. its called democracy :P

Hardly truly democratic though, is it?
Old 9 Aug 2004, 17:39 (Ref:1061259)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer
We sort of have the same problem here in the States, with Speed Channel. They seem to show NASCAR 24/7, and they really should re-name the channel, NASCAR 24/7!

There reasoning is simple, NASCAR pays the bills. There are simply an overwhelming amount of fans for that series here, and the sponsorship is huge, so thats who they have to cater to. I imagine it's F1 for Europe, so those are the fans that get the focus there.

But, in all fairness to them, they have been giving us the best F1 coverage that I've ever seen here, and that will help its growth here, but it's still not enough to please me. That's life...

Non-stop NASCAR eh? I'd swap you right now, I must confess.........
Old 9 Aug 2004, 18:01 (Ref:1061291)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Non-stop NASCAR eh? I'd swap you right now, I must confess.........
Geez, you must REALLY hate F1 to want that!