Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18 Mar 2002, 14:36 (Ref:238414)   #1
Bibendum
Racer

Bibendum should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV feed from Malaysia

I'm sad to say that "MY TV3" provided the least impressive feed of images I can remember in recent seasons. I doubt it's lack of technical prowess or, certainly, equipment; probably it's mostly to do with practice. Anyway:

I can understand that if you've got a heat haze in combination with smoke from peat fires, any shot taken with a long lens will look as though there's a dirty aquarium in front of the lens. But the *director* should recognize this *too*, and select relatively fewer very long shots -- from the stratospheric helicopter, for example.

Worse, though: Irrespective of type of shot selected, the director appeared to have an uncanny instinct for avoiding anything eventful and significant. Nobody can get it right all the time, and some things will always go unrecorded, with a finite number of cameras; but there was so much that one would have liked to see, and that in theory one might have seen, that I don't know where to begin listing it.

Some examples:

*Jenson running on 3 wheels in the final couple of laps.
*Bernoldi doing some of his early passing -- and balking McNish at turn 1, perhaps, as Allan passed for 6th.
*For that matter, McNish making his way up through the field; by no means were all of his positions gained by attrition.
*Fewer interminable shots of cars cruising along pit lane.
*And, yes, a decent view of the 1st corner incident... From what I saw, it was pretty remarkable driving all round that got almost everyone through the corner in good shape.

I hope we see better shot-selection from Brazil.

Bibendum

p.s. I'm adding one thing, since I just read a post reminding me that Jenson's dice with Montoya was covered quite well, so I'm not being quite fair when I say they missed *every*thing!

Last edited by Bibendum; 18 Mar 2002 at 14:42.