Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 17 Jun 2015, 12:19 (Ref:3551520)   #2226
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallenstein View Post

anybody find out what really happened there
been searching on the net but no statements/explanations ...
Is this in reference to the Dalla Lana accident? It was right in front of us. Looked like he just dropped it? It was trying to rain at that point I think but not sure that would have made any difference.

Roald Goethe went off in the exact same place at the start of the race.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 12:51 (Ref:3551528)   #2227
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Some thoughts about the race. What a great event this is. A 24h race is just something so special. And the fact that the safety cars don't bunch up the whole field, there are no lap down wave bys etc. means that it really is a race from start to finish. Not some parade for the first 20 hours or so. The slow zones worked quite well, with the exception of that one incident. Still, I think it is a good system. And practice makes perfect.

LMP1 was action packed for the first few hours. Audi seemed to have the pace to challenge and beat Porsche, but during the night all that changed. #19 had a pretty much flawless race and deserved the victory. The Audis had some trouble and the Toyotas were simply never in the competition.

Nissan... well it's a learning year and it was quite entertaining to watch their racing early on. The Rebellion are still unfortunately in the no man's land. A valiant effort from Bykolles and especially their fuel pump changer .

LMP2 offered good racing, although maybe not as tight as I would have expected. KCMG sort of had it under control all the time. G-Drive and Jota hit trouble very early and after Greaves and Thiriet retired it was kind of over. Still disappointed by the performance of Strakka Dome. The SMP prototype didn't impress either, but that car is still very new.

GTE Pro was once again quite entertaining. The Aston dropped out one by one. Too bad for the #51, but I'm happy that Corvette won. Porsche just didn't seem to have the pace. In Am the Aston seemed to have it in the bag, and then threw it away. I have to say I'm quite happy for Dempsey, it was clearly a quite emotional moment for him and the team.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 12:54 (Ref:3551531)   #2228
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
All 8 leading LMP1 cars filling the top 8 places, and all covered by only 9 laps, was an amazing performance, especially considering the pace of the race. Toyota must have looked at the pace of Audi and Porsche and thought they could maybe salvage a top 4 or 5 finish if they kept out of trouble, but it was not to be.

The Nissans were interesting to see but they looked painful to drive. Corner speed was visibly down on the LMP2s, and their front brakes took a beating. They were glowing on lap one of qualifying at Arnage and required multiple disc and pad changes. Presumably they were getting little or no retardation from the hybrid system.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 13:37 (Ref:3551545)   #2229
Ginaro Zukovsky
Racer

Ginaro Zukovsky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a video I found of a slow zone removal in what is probably zone 35: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjk-B17g9-I

Notice at the end where the Rebellion and Murphy cars come through at full speed compared to the Audi and Ferrari, who entered the slow zone just before it was removed. They really need to continue waving a yellow flag at the zone 34 marshals post, to warn cars coming through that the slow zone has been lifted and cars are still going slow. Would've helped give a bit of warning to the #8 Audi.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 15:30 (Ref:3551584)   #2230
Jaguar4
Rookie

United States
Grand Rapids, MI
Jaguar4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wasn't able to watch the race this weekend. Has anyone uploaded the race on Youtube yet?
Old 17 Jun 2015, 15:49 (Ref:3551587)   #2231
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
The Nissans were interesting to see but they looked painful to drive. Corner speed was visibly down on the LMP2s, and their front brakes took a beating. They were glowing on lap one of qualifying at Arnage and required multiple disc and pad changes. Presumably they were getting little or no retardation from the hybrid system.
Autosport's analysis contains confirmation that the hybrid system was not engaged at all. This had severe knock-ons not just to braking (including needing to fit larger pads than intended) but to several other systems. Taking those together with staying off the kerbs and a couple of other bits, the article reckons they could retrieve most of the 18 seconds they were down - if they get backing to continue the project and sort out the issues.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 18:05 (Ref:3551620)   #2232
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginaro Zukovsky View Post
Here's a video I found of a slow zone removal in what is probably zone 35: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjk-B17g9-I

Notice at the end where the Rebellion and Murphy cars come through at full speed compared to the Audi and Ferrari, who entered the slow zone just before it was removed. They really need to continue waving a yellow flag at the zone 34 marshals post, to warn cars coming through that the slow zone has been lifted and cars are still going slow. Would've helped give a bit of warning to the #8 Audi.
The transition into the newly removed slow zone can be difficult to mange, and i'm not sure what to do about it, other than as you say maybe wave the yellow for a few more seconds.
Old 17 Jun 2015, 21:46 (Ref:3551682)   #2233
hallenstein
Rookie

hallenstein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Is this in reference to the Dalla Lana accident? It was right in front of us. Looked like he just dropped it? It was trying to rain at that point I think but not sure that would have made any difference.

Roald Goethe went off in the exact same place at the start of the race.
yes, I refer to that
it was really weird how he just went straight into the wall
have not found any info on a reason for it and was wondering
somebody suggested a steering failure??? ...
Old 17 Jun 2015, 22:53 (Ref:3551699)   #2234
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
There is a report on Racer.com Here that Nissan ran the LM24 without Hybrid enabled

Would certainly explain the braking challenge
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 17 Jun 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3551703)   #2235
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The effort by KCMG was almost as good as Strakka's in 2010. Yeah alright they did have some issues and gremlins during the event, and were "only" 9th overall, but still the class of the field by far. And in 2010 most of the LMP1 field exploded out of Strakka's way for that 5th place finish, and P2s were faster and more sparsely contested. So it was excellent job. I suspect next year few teams will be throwing their ancient open tops, or even newer coupes out of the way for Oreca 05 switch. Not only because of the seemingly light mods required for 2017 spec nonsense, but since the chassis seems to have the means to do it. Oak must be a bit worried since their nearest French rival did in the first go and they are still collecting leftover places!

Anyway. Good race, not quite lived up to the expectations and I would argue last year was quite bit more entertaining (most definitely in P1 with the three manufacturers and more trouble for all), but still good. And in any case, Le Mans is always the best racing weekend of the year whether or not it's exciting on track.

Congrats to Porsche

My fav events this decade in order
1) 2010
2) 2011
3) 2014
4) 2012
5) 2015
6) 2013
Old 18 Jun 2015, 08:11 (Ref:3551794)   #2236
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hallenstein View Post
yes, I refer to that
it was really weird how he just went straight into the wall
have not found any info on a reason for it and was wondering
somebody suggested a steering failure??? ...
Aston saying it was driver error on the #98 which is what I thought.

http://www.24h-lemans.com/en/news/da...746_21176.html

You could see his reaction when he got out of the car. He couldn't believe what he'd just done.

Old 18 Jun 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3551795)   #2237
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
From the TV Cameras it looked like a car failure tbh, but if Aston say driver it must be driver. It was a very odd accident.

Quote:
In the No. 97 fighting for the lead in GT Pro, unfortunately Rob Bell hit a curb which caused engine failure.
Maybe the reason Aston can't seem to turn the over-BOPing into results is that the car can't be thrown around like the others can.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 10:48 (Ref:3551827)   #2238
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
driver error or not, both Lauda and Dalla lana had done their minimum times behind the wheel according radio Le Mans, personally I would have put the best driver of that car behind the wheel for the last part : Pedro Lamy.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 11:23 (Ref:3551843)   #2239
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
driver error or not, both Lauda and Dalla lana had done their minimum times behind the wheel according radio Le Mans, personally I would have put the best driver of that car behind the wheel for the last part : Pedro Lamy.
I agree, except that the guy paying the cheques obviously wanted to cross the finish line himself.
Hard to argue with him to be honest.
Old 18 Jun 2015, 12:47 (Ref:3551866)   #2240
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobster View Post
True, but Lamy may have been on the edge in terms of driving time over the last 6 hours. Plus he was unwell with chickenpox.
Old 19 Jun 2015, 15:12 (Ref:3552182)   #2241
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Does anyone have the link to that German site that compares the lap times of the cars/drivers in each class etc?

I haven't seen it posted in the thread yet, maybe they haven't compiled the info yet?

Not sure where else that kind of info would be so easy to view?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3552219)   #2242
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
are you talking about gt-eins?
Old 19 Jun 2015, 18:50 (Ref:3552230)   #2243
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
That's the one!
Thank you!

Doesn't look like they've got that info up for the 24 Hours yet, if they will.
It is a massive amount of info.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 20:35 (Ref:3553147)   #2244
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Roald Goethe out of hospital after his Sunday morning crash, and sounds like he had similar surgery to Nakajima to repair a broken vertebra. And the article carries a fan photo from next to the big wheel which seems to indicate that the #19 Porsche pushed the Aston off in a rather low-percentage move in traffic: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119643
Old 22 Jun 2015, 21:13 (Ref:3553156)   #2245
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Honestly I'd forgotten about the fact the #19 was involved. Funny how some things get glossed over.

Admittedly I was pretty tired but my first reaction upon seeing it was that there was contact. And the subsequent pitstop repair basically confirmed that.

Glad Roald is out of hospital anyway. And he's completely right to call for a safer barrier in that section. Someone goes off there every year.
Old 22 Jun 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3553177)   #2246
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Roald Goethe out of hospital after his Sunday morning crash, and sounds like he had similar surgery to Nakajima to repair a broken vertebra. And the article carries a fan photo from next to the big wheel which seems to indicate that the #19 Porsche pushed the Aston off in a rather low-percentage move in traffic: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/119643
I didnt realise the #19 had actually made contact with the Aston, TV pictures were misleading.
Old 23 Jun 2015, 02:41 (Ref:3553214)   #2247
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Glad to hear Goethe is out of hospital, especially after a crash like that but if it is the case #19 Porsche pushed the Aston off, it's very hard to tell from the footage.

https://youtu.be/7Vro0W-frs4
Old 24 Jun 2015, 03:15 (Ref:3553515)   #2248
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
For an outsider's look at the race this Cnet report is pretty bad. I stopped counting the errors halfway through.

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/inside-...race-pictures/
Old 24 Jun 2015, 06:03 (Ref:3553527)   #2249
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i know know that the chap who wrote that had probably no idea of where he was but some one should have checked it for glaring errors, like the comment that most cars have hybrid and that the drivers can only do a maximum total driving time of 4 hours 30 minutes in the car, which means that his maths could not work out that would require 6 drivers per car to do 24 hours. Plenty of other glaring errors so perhaps this chap should seek a career where writing or facts or numbers are not required
Old 24 Jun 2015, 08:05 (Ref:3553543)   #2250
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
For an outsider's look at the race this Cnet report is pretty bad. I stopped counting the errors halfway through.

http://www.cnet.com/pictures/inside-...race-pictures/
I try to make a lot of allowances for mainstream media / non specialist reporting of racing, but this is really markedly poor - as much for the mangled English that almost feels auto translated.

Ho hum.