Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 8 Aug 2002, 22:47 (Ref:353467)   #276
vaughan jones
Racer

vaughan jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
corsairs

Having just seen the pic of the corsair i do think this was also martin maulding check earlier message ????
Old 9 Aug 2002, 00:39 (Ref:353504)   #277
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
These photos are wonderful! I vaguely remember the Corsair - Don't remember if it was Martin Maudling though but it does ring a bell.
In 1967, as a very young lad, I remember going with my Dad
to a very large house ( I think it must have been in Herts/Essex) to collect an Anglia race car on a trailer. My Dad worked as a mechanic on trucks/lorries for an agricultural manufacturing company called Simplex near to Cambridge, the boss being John Bond-Smith. His wife raced Galaxie's, Lotus sports cars etc, and my Dad was mechanic on these too from 1964. John bought the Anglia for £600 ( I remember my father handing over an envelope full of cash) and the house we went to was the home of MP Reginald Maudling. His son Martin had raced it in 66/67. It was a dark blue 1650 cc Anglia but once tuner Don Harris had got his hands on it, it was fitted with a Lotus 1800cc twin cam and painted metallic green.
Wealthy 18 year old Stan Matthews from Wicken near Silverstone drove it in the Redex and Osram GEC Special Saloon Championships in 68/69.
My father ( if he were still with us) would know all of the drivers and cars posted in all these old photos I'm sure. Such great memories from so long ago.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 00:48 (Ref:353506)   #278
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Just another note: Look at the ads on the grandstands at Brands in Fred's photos!
The VC10 really was the airliner of it's time - so much so that BOAC promoted it in these adverts. I suppose it's a bit like British Airways having similar ads today saying 'Concorde'!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:21 (Ref:353566)   #279
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am afraid I do not have any pictures at all of those days. I was quite young then and we were just enjoying ourselves and taking pictures did not even come into it. That is something that with hindsight I deeply regret. I must say that seeing the car again has brought the memories flooding back and I spent quite a while last night telling my wife about the funnier moments. I think she was quite supprised at some of the antics. Normally the car used to be prepaired on the Saturday for racing on the Sunday. As usual the car was all up and running when we discovered that the transporter would not start. Only one thing for it, drive the car on the roads from Sidcup to Brands. Should have seen the faces of the other motorists on the roads. In the past I have made some enquiries as to what happend to Mike but I have heard nothing back. I do remember he used to live life to the full in those days though. Mike also used to own a club in Beckenham and many a time it was back to the club after the Brands meeting. Not many clubs had the DJ sitting in the back of a vintage white Rolls Royce. Yes the car was in the acually in the club!.
I could go on for hours. But I wont, don't worry.

Regards
Old 9 Aug 2002, 06:35 (Ref:353570)   #280
John Reeves
Rookie

John Reeves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew

Sorry forgot to confirm that the car was indeed orange and if you remember it also had eyebrows.

Regards
Old 9 Aug 2002, 07:03 (Ref:353585)   #281
mickj
Racer

mickj should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Freds Unknown car at Brands 66 is a Diva Valkyrie. There is a German website devoted to the Diva's called Diva Cars.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 08:32 (Ref:353646)   #282
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Fred. On closer inspection - the Anglia ( No.9) behind the Corsair is indeed the car my Dad was a mechanic on! It looks a grey/green on the photo, perhaps it has faded a bit(?) and the meeting is the same one as the photo I posted earlier in this thread stating that was the only photo I have of the car! The Anglia (No.3) is Pat Mannion - also in the earlier photo. Do you have copies or negs of these photos Fred? I would like to buy some from you. Also do you have anymore shots of Anglia No.9?
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:02 (Ref:353731)   #283
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
Peter, the 1200 engine was a three bearing affair, would be a bit bendy I think, given it was a problem in thrashed std engines, the 1500 is 5 bearing, I would guess Gordons car runs a stronger 6 bolt (flywheel) crank as well, which came into play in the 1500 precross flow MK2 cortina, and later the 1600 x flow engines, it also has a proper oil seal rather than a rope one, and stronger end caps etc as well.

Ive never seen a Corsair in race trim before, was theat the cardigan and slippers series?
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:12 (Ref:353747)   #284
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Welcome to the forums, John. Hope we can provide a few more nostalgic memories for you.

You know, I think I've heard about that club. A little while back, one of the Classic car magazines reported a vintage Rolls Royce doing precisely the job you described.

When the time came that a collector gave the owners the proverbial offer they could not refuse, they had to break a hole in the side wall of the venue to get the car out.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:21 (Ref:353752)   #285
racing fxgt
Racer

racing fxgt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1968- Here's Dick Sandiland's Standard 8
Attached Thumbnails
sandard 8.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:41 (Ref:353772)   #286
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by zefarelly
Peter, the 1200 engine was a three bearing affair, would be a bit bendy I think, given it was a problem in thrashed std engines, the 1500 is 5 bearing, .........
Hmm,

Fair comment but I thought it was five bearing. Hey ho. Anyway the point was that I believe he can't run anything other than a four cylinder and it would have to be pre-crossflow because of the year of the car. I'll still check though.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:353774)   #287
AllonFS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bristol, UK
AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!AllonFS has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by racing fxgt
1968- Here's Dick Sandiland's Standard 8
Doesn't look very standard to me!
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:353775)   #288
racing fxgt
Racer

Here's 2 Broadspeed Anglia's one driver is John Fitzpatrick
not sure of other one.
Attached Thumbnails
2anglia.jpg  
Old 9 Aug 2002, 10:54 (Ref:353788)   #289
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
It would have been Chris Craft.
Old 9 Aug 2002, 21:46 (Ref:354325)   #290
racing fxgt
Racer

1973 Ensign MN01 Formula one Cosworth DFV driven by Rikky Von Opel
Attached Thumbnails
formula 1.jpg  
Old 10 Aug 2002, 10:54 (Ref:354518)   #291
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Gordon Spice in the Kitchmac and Guy Edwards' Lola T330, 1973.
Attached Thumbnails
kitch.jpg  
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:00 (Ref:354519)   #292
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Works Team Surtees TS5 in the Brands paddock, 1969.
Attached Thumbnails
ts5.jpg  
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:11 (Ref:354528)   #293
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Small class Special saloons Silverstone.
Attached Thumbnails
minimp.jpg  
Old 10 Aug 2002, 11:16 (Ref:354534)   #294
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Bill McGovern's Imp and a Mini ( Jon Mowatt perhaps?)
in the 1972 Wiggins Teape paperchase RAC British saloon Car Championship to Group 2 regs.
Attached Thumbnails
imp.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 10:43 (Ref:359662)   #295
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The Mercury at a Silverstone meeting in 1979.
Attached Thumbnails
mercury.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 10:45 (Ref:359664)   #296
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Alan Fowler's Mercury misses the spinning Europa of Keith Holland in 67.
Attached Thumbnails
europa.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 10:50 (Ref:359666)   #297
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
F3 Mallory 1967. John Miles to the fore.
Attached Thumbnails
mallf3.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 10:55 (Ref:359669)   #298
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
The first lap of the 71 British GP at a remarkably flat and featureless Silverstone!
Attached Thumbnails
f1silv71.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 11:09 (Ref:359677)   #299
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Malcolm Jackson's Mallock - silv 1978.
Attached Thumbnails
mallock.jpg  
Old 17 Aug 2002, 14:13 (Ref:359746)   #300
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Or possibly Peter Procter.