Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Auckland Street Race Yes or No?
No - Couldn't care less if we never see V8's again 2 5.56%
No - Give it to Manfeild 2 5.56%
No - Only want to see it at a permenant curcuit 10 27.78%
Yes - But I want to see it moved back to a permanent circuit 9 25.00%
Yes - As long as the V8's stay in NZ I don't care where 13 36.11%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 28 Jul 2004, 21:34 (Ref:1050349)   #1
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Auckland Street Race Yes or No?

Ok, it appears there are a wide range of opinions out there and Yes and No Answers don't cut it. Heres another poll.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 20:38 (Ref:1051286)   #2
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Auckland Street Race Yes or No?

Quote:
Originally posted by Evomike
Ok, it appears there are a wide range of opinions out there and Yes and No Answers don't cut it. Heres another poll.
Apologies I have removed one of the choices as I was a little gung ho with it.
Old 29 Jul 2004, 21:19 (Ref:1051323)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nah, the spirit of the original entry was well noted, even if not popular with all.. just 90% of all... just not all
Old 29 Jul 2004, 21:48 (Ref:1051336)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Difficult choice you've got there. As an outsider with a passion for NZ, I'd say it's important to have a good international category coming to your shores - we get coverage over here, and the series is looking to expand to other countries, so you're getting excellent exposure world-wide.

I tend to think that racing should take place on regular circuits where possible as it has a benefit to all of motorsports in that country. I'm also of the opinion that street racing is rarely as good as permanent circuits. Yes it might look exciting with the close walls and many incidents, but the actual racing is not as good due to the difficulty in overtaking.

Having said all that, Auckland is a pretty good looking city, and will show up well on international TV. The proposed circuit looks OK, especially the bit near the harbour, and can you imagin the cameras looking down from the Sky Tower? Coverage should be good and enhance the city and country. I imagine few people attend the circuits on the whole (as is the case here) so dumping something that looks like the cars they drive right in the heart of the biggest city may attract a much more varied audience some of whom will venture to proper circuits, so it may do motorsport as a whole some good.

Think carefully before voting. I won't as it won't affect me, but my choices would be:

If it'st he only way you can keep them coming, vote yes.
If not, I'd say go to a proper circuit. Pukekohe looks OK on TV, and what I've seen of Manfield would be fine too, if a little more out of the way for most of the population.
Best choice, get yourselves a double header with Manfield one week and Auckland the next.

Then make sure it all coincides with my next visit...
Old 30 Jul 2004, 03:15 (Ref:1051540)   #5
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Slippy Diff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,,6304-3545474,00.html

Could this be the answer? We had a long discussion about this in the office this morning and agreed that IF done right, could be the answer. We would be hoping for a return of MOTO GP or Superbikes.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 03:20 (Ref:1051545)   #6
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
hey Woolley, I presume you have frequented most of the UK circuits? The facilities for spectators and competitors at Pukekohe and Manfeild are WAY behind even Mallory Park. Both these circuits do not seem interested in improving their facilities, so a new circuit could be the way to go. Also, it,s location in rolling countryside could make for an exciting circuit if done properly. The three guys behind it are all racers, so let's hope.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 03:24 (Ref:1051549)   #7
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Totally agree this is the way to go, but's it is a big IF. I recall 3 separate tracks that were to be built in my reasonably short life time, none of which have actually happened.

Quote:
Originally posted by Slippy Diff
http://xtramsn.co.nz/motoring/0,,6304-3545474,00.html

Could this be the answer? We had a long discussion about this in the office this morning and agreed that IF done right, could be the answer. We would be hoping for a return of MOTO GP or Superbikes.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 03:36 (Ref:1051555)   #8
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Good location though, between Auckland and Hamilton, plenty of spectators within an hours drive. F1 will never visit though, whatever they like to say. Bernie's asking price of 10's of millions of dollars would see to that. Bikes are a far better proposition.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 05:35 (Ref:1051609)   #9
Seton Fanatic
Racer

Seton Fanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am happy with the proposal for a V8 Supercar race to be held on the streets of Auckland. I believe it will add another dimension to what is already a difficult championship in terms of discipline, formats and style.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 05:53 (Ref:1051620)   #10
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would like to see a permanent circuit in use, so the benefits are spread around the entire Auckland and NZ wide motorsport community... rather than a few vested interests. Other than that, don't really care if the V8's come or not.

Last edited by alfasud; 30 Jul 2004 at 05:54.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 06:19 (Ref:1051639)   #11
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Odd,the option I voted for sems to have disappeared.I oppose on principle the destruction of the countryside to build new circuits.All events intending to attract the public should be held in the centre of cities,or suitable 'brown field' sites.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 06:40 (Ref:1051649)   #12
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Rob29
I oppose on principle the destruction of the countryside to build new circuits.
But the "countryside" is an artificial creation resulting from the destruction of forests, wetlands etc that came before it. I think the site they are talking about, is in an area that already contains a nearby dragstrip, a prison and a landfill soon to be built. Not exactly a conservation area?

Now if they were talking about cutting down native forests or something, then I'd be in full agreement with your objections.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:02 (Ref:1051664)   #13
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is competition to the proposed circuit, it just isn't public
Old 30 Jul 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1051931)   #14
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
hey Woolley, I presume you have frequented most of the UK circuits? The facilities for spectators and competitors at Pukekohe and Manfeild are WAY behind even Mallory Park.
Sadly I didn't get to experience Pukekohe as the day I was going coincided with the Cyclone at the end of February and the pits dissapered under water! I only got to see the entrance gate.

My point about the circuits was not necessarily about facilities, though any improvement would be good, but that they're available for racing the rest of the year. If you lose a couple because the investment goes to a once-a-year city race, where is eveyone else going to race the rest of the time?
Old 30 Jul 2004, 13:51 (Ref:1051950)   #15
V8 Supercars
Racer

Australia
Gold Coast
V8 Supercars should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would look forward to seeing the street race for sure. Then get to go over there for it
Old 1 Aug 2004, 08:36 (Ref:1053119)   #16
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
I'm sure they'll find a Taniwha living under the Auckland Harbour bridge that will need relocating before the V8s can roar around the streets.

Other than that you know my thoughts...Bring back Puke.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 10:35 (Ref:1053186)   #17
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
jjd: Are you Pauline Hansen? You seem to be saying what others are thinking!

Makes the Meremere circuit project look doomed before it starts...
Old 2 Aug 2004, 18:31 (Ref:1054295)   #18
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Quote:
The Auckland V8 Supercar street-race looked doomed yesterday when the national road agency Transit New Zealand warned it would be impossible to operate the motorway system during the event.
from NZ Herald this am.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

Looks like a late vote from Transit NZ....a definite NO

....Puke looks good about now..
Old 2 Aug 2004, 19:56 (Ref:1054343)   #19
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Armco Bender
from NZ Herald this am.http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydispl...ection=general

Looks like a late vote from Transit NZ....a definite NO

....Puke looks good about now..
Funny though Transit hardly mentions the fact that they are lobbying the council for consent to use Victoria Park as a construction Zone during the same period to widen the flyover. and as they state "Transit's statutory obligations to operate the system in an integrated, safe, responsive and sustainable way." Given that it just took me over an hour to travel 36kms to work I suggest Transit already has a problem.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 21:28 (Ref:1054431)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
There are alot of vested interests in this hearing and the Transit NZ are covering their tails and hiding facts from journo's who take everything at face value but wouldn't do an hours worth of investigative journalism unless threatened by Al Queda. I still voted for the permanent circuit option, not because i don't want the race in auckland but because i don't want Cochrane siphoning off the $$$$ into supercar coffers without an investment that benefits NZ motorsport in the longer term
Old 2 Aug 2004, 21:41 (Ref:1054441)   #21
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
Originally posted by Teretonga
There are alot of vested interests in this hearing and the Transit NZ are covering their tails and hiding facts from journo's who take everything at face value but wouldn't do an hours worth of investigative journalism unless threatened by Al Queda. I still voted for the permanent circuit option, not because i don't want the race in auckland but because i don't want Cochrane siphoning off the $$$$ into supercar coffers without an investment that benefits NZ motorsport in the longer term
I guess what it really comes down to is would we still get the investment $$$ if the street race didn't go ahead???
I seriously doubt it. With Auckland City Council piutting up $3.5mill. I Seriously doubt if the race didn't go ahead that money would end up in the coffers of race tracks situated outside of their rates catchment area. So we would be relying on other measures from the race tracks themselves to raise the funds for the "upgrades". Which brings me to my next point, why haven't they before now? Can anyone tell me specifically what the money would be spent on if it went back to the curcuits, and how that would benefit motorsport as a whole?

Last edited by Evomike; 2 Aug 2004 at 21:43.
Old 2 Aug 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1054498)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Just being there the rest of the year for a start. You'd be surprised how much international coverage there is of a six-venue 'winter' (for us) FFord championship. Teke the money away from the circuits, would they survive?
Old 3 Aug 2004, 02:09 (Ref:1054583)   #23
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
A street race might be easily covered for TV, but what about the spectator?? Where do they park? Where do they sit? It's bad enough getting into town via the North Western as it is now, can you imagine raceday???? I would put all my backing behind the new circuit at Meremere, (I'll say it again) IF they can promise to do it properly. i.e. decent facilities for everyone, NOT just the corporate customers who will not watch the racing anyway;.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 02:10 (Ref:1054585)   #24
Slippy Diff
Veteran

New Zealand
UnZud
Hey Woolley, I used to live not a million miles from you.
Old 3 Aug 2004, 02:13 (Ref:1054588)   #25
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Quote:
A street race might be easily covered for TV, but what about the spectator?? Where do they park? Where do they sit? It's bad enough getting into town via the North Western as it is now, can you imagine raceday???? I would put all my backing behind the new circuit at Meremere, (I'll say it again) IF they can promise to do it properly. i.e. decent facilities for everyone, NOT just the corporate customers who will not watch the racing anyway;.
You have missed the point, you are not suppossed to bring your car. Get on a train!