Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 31 Jul 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3284380)   #1
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
30 minutes from knockhill by road
richrad smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Critique Welcome

http://sdrv.ms/15cq8fJ

Link to my "motorsport album" on my Skydrive

Nothing out out of the ordinary, however Critique on how any of the shots can be improved would be more than welcome
Old 1 Aug 2013, 14:07 (Ref:3284681)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Firstly I am impressed with the way you have mastered the Skydrive site ()

I would suggest that the best and quickest way to improve the quality of your pictures would be to use a 'photo editing suite', most look as if they could be enhanced by such a tool. Windows Photo Gallery has a free and effective suite, although I am sure you will get a lot of ideas from other snappers.
What camera are you using? This could tell us a lot about your pictures.

The best advice I ever received was that "It's not what is between your hands that counts, it's what's between your ears."
In other words your imput is more important than the camera.

keep it up, the photography as well.

Bauble.
Old 1 Aug 2013, 16:27 (Ref:3284722)   #3
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
Bauble,

in answer to the question you pose in the post above, many of the photos in the album have been edited using Microsoft Picture Manager. Its easy to use and has all the editing functions I need.

The camera am currently using is the olympus E520, gifted to me by a friend when she Upgraded her Camera outfit
Old 1 Aug 2013, 18:25 (Ref:3284747)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrad smith View Post
Bauble,

in answer to the question you pose in the post above, many of the photos in the album have been edited using Microsoft Picture Manager. Its easy to use and has all the editing functions I need.

The camera am currently using is the olympus E520, gifted to me by a friend when she Upgraded her Camera outfit
Richard,

I use an Olympus E420 and an E500. They are ok but don't rely on the Auto Focus for even the most simple shots - I'm often disappointed. Some of your pictures aren't really in focus and it's possibly that the AF has got lost somewhere. Unfortunately it's all down to practice. At least you don't waste yards of film like in the old days

I also work in the graphics business so have the latest Photoshop Software and it really does make a difference in dragging something that looks terrible into something vaguely reasonable!
Old 2 Aug 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3285116)   #5
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Are you new to photography? Serious question, just so I know what advice I can give you.
Old 2 Aug 2013, 20:25 (Ref:3285127)   #6
richrad smith
Racer

Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
Are you new to photography? Serious question, just so I know what advice I can give you.
Yes I am Miguel!!!
Old 3 Aug 2013, 11:30 (Ref:3285346)   #7
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Miguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMiguel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Alright, then let me give you some tips that helped me greatly when I started off DSLR photography just over a year ago: get out of program mode and into shutter or aperture priority (shutter to capture speed, aperture to create depth of field). Also look for photography tutorials on YouTube to get a basic understanding of what a good photo is and how a camera works. You also don't have to be happy with most of your photos, just shoot away and pick whatever you're happy with. Post production (I've started using Lightroom recently, Photoshop before that) will also greatly enhance your photos, even if it's just used to clean up the colours.

I have been at it for about a year now, and I can honestly say that my photos are at the very least satisfying to myself.

I think this might be of better use for you to make better photos then just critique.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 11:25 (Ref:3287281)   #8
4KQBOY
Rookie

4KQBOY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
use manual mode.
Old 8 Aug 2013, 12:46 (Ref:3287305)   #9
jase
Veteran

jase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjase should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard, nice shots, personally I would look a getting some different angles on the paddock shots, the cars are nice, but try to avoid a whole gallery of front quarter, there are many angles to go for.

Also, once you get used to shooting, try to get it right in the camera as much as possible, it saves a lot of post production (OK, I come from 35mm where you had to get it right)
Your panning is good, you give the car "somewhere to move into" so off centre and 'sweeping into the opposite side'.

As above, leave auto/sport mode, play with the camera and practice. You may want to go and use auto every so often (I do as a reference shot)

Best advice I can give is PRACTICE and try to mix up the type of shot
Old 9 Aug 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3287636)   #10
Miguel
Veteran

Netherlands
GLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4KQBOY View Post
use manual mode.
You sure you want to send someone new to photography out in manual mode?