Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 1 Jan 2007, 06:19 (Ref:1802638)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So then- What is Montoya capable of in Nextel Cup in '07?

How well do you think JPM will do- Race winner material? Front runner? Tailender? Mobile chicane?

I think he is definately capable of running with the top guys- He's a very talented driver and goes fast in everything he drives. I'd be on the look out for him.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Jan 2007, 07:32 (Ref:1802656)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He'll get a few top 10s, maybe some top 5s, if he can do that then he'd have had a good season, most races I'd imagine he'd be midfieldish, maybe a little forward of the midfield.

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 1 Jan 2007, 08:37 (Ref:1802675)   #3
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Jacko44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would expect him to contend for top 5's at road courses, maybe top 10s at other places where #42 has performed well.. maybe restrictor plate tracks if he can find any mates. Should still finish above the 40 and 41 at end of the season.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1802714)   #4
kelvin88
Veteran

United Kingdom
south east
kelvin88 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think you underestimate him. i think he is well capable of running at the front and winning races.
Old 1 Jan 2007, 13:23 (Ref:1802818)   #5
Ola
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Ola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he will take a win or two already in his first season, more likely on ovals than on a road course I think.

He will probably be quite often in top 10, and will not be held back when he has to work his way up there during a race with set-up problems.

And as an extra spice, he will probably wreck a few of his cars along the way - say three or four of them.

To summarize: a quite successful but also very eventful and all around exciting rookie season for him. It sure will be fun and a roller coaster.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 15:12 (Ref:1806272)   #6
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuiE
He'll get a few top 10s, maybe some top 5s, if he can do that then he'd have had a good season, most races I'd imagine he'd be midfieldish, maybe a little forward of the midfield.
I tend to agree. Possibly somewhat ahead of mid-field for the season. He, along with most drivers, will have some excellent races though. I hope he doesn't lose patience.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 18:08 (Ref:1806423)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He wil probably improve as the year goes on, and might crash more than most drivers, but a few top 5s seems realistic enough. Rookie Of the Year and top 15 overall might be a realistic target; getting into the Chase an optimistic one.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 18:16 (Ref:1806430)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Top tens has to be the target really, but I can see him challenging up front on certain ovals and possibly road courses.

Interestingly, Ganassi reckons the toughest challenge for JPM will be the road courses.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 23:08 (Ref:1806685)   #9
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Top tens has to be the target really, but I can see him challenging up front on certain ovals and possibly road courses.

Interestingly, Ganassi reckons the toughest challenge for JPM will be the road courses.
Ganassi may be right. It will be a tough task driving those monsters on the road courses. Ron Fellows, Boris Said, Scott Pruett and some others admitted that it is difficult driving the heavy Cup cars around the road courses.
Old 4 Jan 2007, 23:24 (Ref:1806697)   #10
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
He wil probably improve as the year goes on, and might crash more than most drivers, but a few top 5s seems realistic enough. Rookie Of the Year and top 15 overall might be a realistic target; getting into the Chase an optimistic one.
Montoya should have a good shot at rookie of the year. His toughest competition IMO would be Paul Menard. My favorite rookie will be Regan Smith although he will only be driving 20 races. Under Mark Martin's tutelage in 2007 Regan should be ready in 2008 to show that he belongs. Regan is a good young man.
Old 6 Jan 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1808175)   #11
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
The transition from an F1 car with a relatively small field, to NASCAR is a huge one. I don't foresee much from Montoya in the first half of the season, but I must admit that he's surprised me before! And as for "finding mates" on the restrictor-plate tracks, that's not too likely.

Having said that, he's an exceptional talent and, given time, will prove that yet again.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 02:20 (Ref:1808630)   #12
thebear
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
85mi S. of Daytona, 125mi NE of Sebring
thebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthebear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
How well do you think JPM will do- Race winner material? Front runner? Tailender? Mobile chicane?

I think he is definately capable of running with the top guys- He's a very talented driver and goes fast in everything he drives. I'd be on the look out for him.
Having just returned fom the Grand-Am Rolex 24 test days at Daytona I can report that JPM driving one of Ganassi's DPs took over two seconds off the existing (~1:43) Daytona Prototype lap record. He had a `little help" (~50hp extra) from a `very special' engine management computer but he can drive.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1808777)   #13
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
1 race win, misses out on the chase, rookie of the year.

In 08, I think he'll make the chase.
Old 7 Jan 2007, 15:07 (Ref:1808866)   #14
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Remember though, in Nascar you must have:
1. A very good race car.
2. A very good team.
3. A very capable driver.

If any "one" of those are missing you are out of luck.
Old 8 Jan 2007, 22:23 (Ref:1810003)   #15
CampDaddy1990
Rookie

United States
Westville, Illinois
CampDaddy1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
(looks into magic eight-ball)

Montoya's best finish will be 29th, at Watkins Glen. He will qualify for 21 races, with an average starting position of 40th.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 02:03 (Ref:1810100)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not that bad, i'd hope.
Old 9 Jan 2007, 08:02 (Ref:1810188)   #17
Jacko44
Racer

Australia
Gelorup WA
Jacko44 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should be able to make all the races, but seeing all the competition this year I think a top-20... Maybe top-15 end-of-year result would be a success for the team.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 12:43 (Ref:1811324)   #18
Ola
Racer

Sweden
Stockholm, Sweden
Ola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaddy1990

Montoya's best finish will be 29th, at Watkins Glen. He will qualify for 21 races, with an average starting position of 40th.
The Magic Eight-ball doesn't seem to think much about either Montoya, Ganassi or Dodge.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 19:48 (Ref:1811706)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

That good eh??

He may have to learn the HARD way about NACAR Higherarchy. Seems he had one incident already, being nudged into a wall.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 22:24 (Ref:1811836)   #20
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would not surprise me to see him getting to ten results mid season on how quickly he has adapted so far.
Old 10 Jan 2007, 23:52 (Ref:1811898)   #21
CampDaddy1990
Rookie

United States
Westville, Illinois
CampDaddy1990 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by muggle not
Remember though, in Nascar you must have:
1. A very good race car.
2. A very good team.
3. A very capable driver.

If any "one" of those are missing you are out of luck.
That applies to any form of auto racing, for that matter.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 01:52 (Ref:1811952)   #22
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That applies to any form of auto racing, for that matter
Well Marcos Ambrose was much more behind the eigtball than Montoya:
No Oval experience; very little practice before the season started; a rookie team made up of part timers that was part of an established NASCAR team that was not performing.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 05:46 (Ref:1812035)   #23
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
25% of his finishes will be top-ten.

I don't foresee the other drivers being too kind to him, though.

Shame, as IMO he's more talented than the lot of them combined. Not meant as a bash, as the "IMO" refers to the fact that openwheel is an entirely different discipline, whatwith gearchanges and a brakepedal. But I've watched this guy drive on ovals before, and win handily.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 13:02 (Ref:1812295)   #24
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
25% of his finishes will be top-ten.

I don't foresee the other drivers being too kind to him, though.

Shame, as IMO he's more talented than the lot of them combined. Not meant as a bash, as the "IMO" refers to the fact that openwheel is an entirely different discipline, whatwith gearchanges and a brakepedal. But I've watched this guy drive on ovals before, and win handily.
The win he got against "Mikey" Andretti at Michigan shows the dude knows how to draft.

I think we'll either be suprised, or dissapointed. There is no inbetween with Juan Pablo.
Old 11 Jan 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1812519)   #25
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
Quote:
That applies to any form of auto racing, for that matter.
You are correct to a certain extent. However, how many pit stops do they have in F1.

Tags
jpm