Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 24 Oct 2014, 00:12 (Ref:3467770)   #451
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Why would the Le Mans city council, or whoever it is funding this (Syndicat Mixte?) want asphalt shoulders for a section of a road that is gonna be removed from the public road section in very near future anyway? As you say, it's in line with the other sections. I don't know, I just think this is all comes just as request of FIA. And before you jump into saying that not everything can be blamed on FIA, their name has often been mentioned (as recently as with the Corvette Corner extension) with these sanitations.

Anyway, whatever the case it doesn't matter to me who wants them and where, the end result is the same sad one.

edit
*Composition of the Syndicat Mixte of the 24 Hours of Le Mans
The Syndicat Mixte is 50% Conseil Général de la Sarthe, 25% Conseil Régional des Pays de la Loire, 15% Metro Le Mans and 10% City of Le Mans.

This year there were many little asphalt runoff tweaks here and there that were left completely unannounced in the press releases such as the Dunlop esses, that trend will surely continue too every year...

Last edited by Deleted; 24 Oct 2014 at 00:20.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 00:20 (Ref:3467772)   #452
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Because city council and logic in the same sentence? Maybe it is even a road safety thing, how would a normal road look like if suddenly a section of it had no shoulders. And when was the removal from the public road map going to happen exactly and is that even definitely going to happen?

Don't mix the other changes to this since there is no other connection other than timing.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 00:31 (Ref:3467774)   #453
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't know, I'm not accustomed to such shoulders in our roads anyway, really

The removal of Indy-Arnage is either for 2015 or 2016, but it's very definite.

And why shouldn't I drag the other changes into this, Syndicat Mixte apparently spent 2,2 million for the circuit "upgrade" this year which included Tetre Rouge, Corvette Corner and number of other things here and there, AND I guess these asphalt shoulders (450,000 euros) are included in that number as well since it's still 2014.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 00:52 (Ref:3467775)   #454
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
I don't know, I'm not accustomed to such shoulders in our roads anyway, really
Finnish term doesn't come to mind right now but e.g. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...u_Maikkula.jpg

Quote:
And why shouldn't I drag the other changes into this, Syndicat Mixte apparently spent 2,2 million for the circuit "upgrade" this year which included Tetre Rouge, Corvette Corner and number of other things here and there, AND I guess these asphalt shoulders (450,000 euros) are included in that number as well since it's still 2014.
If one of the changes was wanted by FIA does that mean rest of the changes were too especially this one? But apparently tarmac = tarmac, even if the purpose looks entirely different.

Last edited by deggis; 24 Oct 2014 at 01:00.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:28 (Ref:3467872)   #455
ederss7
Veteran

Brazil
ederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridederss7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to know what the drivers think of these changes. Hasn't any driver said something about it yet?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 12:48 (Ref:3467931)   #456
vincegail
Veteran

Netherlands
Antwerp, Belgium
vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!vincegail has a real shot at the podium!
From PH forum. Picture is from today's newspaper (La Maine?). Not looking good for Maison Blanche campsite.

Old 24 Oct 2014, 18:56 (Ref:3468026)   #457
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's not the building that worries me, that's not on the campsite, it's next to the entry for the Ford chicane.

But there probably will be a lot of big spenders there during the race needing parking spots for their toys etc. That is probably what will effect the campsite most.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 09:00 (Ref:3468995)   #458
kpkorsager
Racer

Denmark
Vojens
kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!kpkorsager has a real shot at the podium!
That will absolutly ruin my Sunday morning.
Use to lay on the banks at the ford Cichane and see the cars go in to the pits and round to start finsh. Might have to change my location.

Hope they will not use "my" space for parking. they already destroyed my spot at Karting Nord, and now they start going after my spot at Maison Blance.
Old 27 Oct 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3469130)   #459
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope I can still take pictures at one of my favourite spots, exit of Porsche:

Old 27 Oct 2014, 19:06 (Ref:3469150)   #460
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard117 View Post
I hope I can still take pictures at one of my favourite spots, exit of Porsche:

I'm sure you will. They'd have to ban people from the entire area to prevent that. It will be interesting to see what else gets altered within the site.
Old 12 Nov 2014, 20:03 (Ref:3474019)   #461
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

Not looking anywhere near as bad as I first feared.

PS, this stretch of road looks awesome in the autumn!
Old 23 Nov 2014, 20:54 (Ref:3477961)   #462
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Some news from the track. Today was a very nice day to ride on the track so the tarmas is finished.
From Mulsanne to Porsche curve : https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/y...22742228712026
and back : https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/y...22742228712026
Many thanks to my wife for holding the camera.
Next year a new campsite called "Les épinettes" will open behind the Houx. Due to the works I think it will be here :https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/y...22742228712026
At least the Porsche Center :
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...22742228712026
Old 23 Nov 2014, 21:49 (Ref:3477988)   #463
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Thanks Eric
Old 23 Nov 2014, 22:03 (Ref:3477998)   #464
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Great work Eric - much appreciated and it gives a better impression than any still photo can.

I hope whoever requested these changes is happy. I can't help thinking it is just a bit pointless.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 00:35 (Ref:3478046)   #465
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Could you tell if the view from the Ford grandstand will be blocked much by the Porsche Center?

I sure hope not. That would be very uncool.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 00:59 (Ref:3478050)   #466
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Could you tell if the view from the Ford grandstand will be blocked much by the Porsche Center?

The bit it will block, you couldn't see anyway. I'm 90% sure on that...
Old 24 Nov 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3478148)   #467
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Ford Chicane grandstand is facing away from that area.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3478152)   #468
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
If you look out of the side of it you can see the cars come into view before they enter the Porsche Curves, way off in the distance. But it's not like you can pick out what the cars are.

None of the primary viewing is going to be affected.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 12:39 (Ref:3478193)   #469
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Great work Eric - much appreciated and it gives a better impression than any still photo can.

I hope whoever requested these changes is happy. I can't help thinking it is just a bit pointless.
Completely agree. Has the ACO actually given an explanation for these works?
Old 24 Nov 2014, 13:35 (Ref:3478213)   #470
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Completely agree. Has the ACO actually given an explanation for these works?

Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:27 (Ref:3478227)   #471
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, yes, I figured it would be for 'safety', but I don't understand how that objective will be achieved with these changes.
Cars travelling faster, in a straighter line, closer to the barriers.
Old 24 Nov 2014, 14:50 (Ref:3478239)   #472
Deleted
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
Well, yes, I figured it would be for 'safety', but I don't understand how that objective will be achieved with these changes.
Cars travelling faster, in a straighter line, closer to the barriers.
I was just listening to some Minassian interview from this year where he was talking about how hot the track was, but also it being 'much wider than it used to be' and drivers taking bigger risks.

But yeah I've said it many times that it's due to the asphalt runoffs at nearly every corner (and now straight) of the public road section and permanent facility that the percentage of larger accidents has increased so rapidly in the past few years. Particularly traffic related. When there is more flexibility, one gets greedy. But that's not how the organizing bodies and circuit ratifiers see it, more incidents just gives more reason to add them.

Now yes I realize that these particular Mulsanne-Indy-Arnage changes might be partly due to Le Mans council / commune / whoever wanting extra shoulders for their own roads, but that's just speculation. There's more data to support for the usual nanny stateing. Also part of the new asphaltized zone is soon disappearing from the road map (and that Indy-Arnage gap isn't really even much of a straight)

I might be repeating the same vinyl again, but for 2015 there will surely be other unannounced changes related to the permanent circuit as well. Numerous asphalt extensions for 2012-2014, other than Corvette Corner and Tetre Rouge - were done with no spoken words at all. And since this ain't F1 media, the word doesn't always get around. You only really notice them for the first time during the Test Day (or some maybe at MotoGP & French GT Bugatti runs)
Old 24 Nov 2014, 19:09 (Ref:3478308)   #473
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
batmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebatmobile will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

Not at all, only the view from the Maison blanche campsite is blocked as you can see on the pictures that were taken from the top rows of the grandstands.
Old 26 Nov 2014, 19:45 (Ref:3479006)   #474
batmobile
Race Official
Veteran

France
le mans
Quote:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/11767562...22742228712026

Reassured?
Old 26 Nov 2014, 20:14 (Ref:3479018)   #475
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Okay they will put glass in those windows but the view might actually be marginally improved?

That's assuming they don't try to squeeze in the big wheel between the building and the tribune...