Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 23 Apr 2003, 15:21 (Ref:578146)   #1
bingman
Racer

bingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
shifter kart tips

hello does anyone have any tips for driving shifter karts as i have been asked to do some testing this weekend to help sort one out but i have only even race non-gearboxed karts.

any general advice or info i should know? i think it is a 125cc 6 sp on a birel.
do they step-out easy under power?
is your mid conner speed compromised as you have to think about gear selection as well as corner entry.
do driving styles/ lines differ from a standard 125 as you have front brakes and quicker exit speeds?
etc
etc

thanks
Old 24 Apr 2003, 14:26 (Ref:579448)   #2
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From my somewhat limited 125 shifter experience:

It will probably be easy to slide it around under power, your mid-corner speed will not be compromised once you get the hang of shifting and gear selection, driving style/line shouldnt change much although braking distances and effort will change a bit. Don't know whether you already know or not, but only use the clutch to launch from a standstill...
Old 24 Apr 2003, 15:02 (Ref:579497)   #3
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can brake on turn in MUCH easier, and the kart is very sensative to changes conditions.....i.e. temp etc.
having front brakes is the biggest difference compared to a ICA Kart.... the power rush will keep you smiling also!
as above, no clutch on upshift or downshift, just simply lift the throttle slightly and pull another gear on the up, and for the down, you can bang it back through the box fairly fast, as there is no compression lock up etc... just count the gears! as buzzing it in neutral is not going to impress!! dont hang onto the gears too long either, they are tuned to rev in a certain range, unlike single gear karts.

look after the clutch! as they are rather small, second gear starts are easy....they will kill the tyres if your not friendly on the gas too....