Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 15 Mar 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2152478)   #1
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oulton F3/GT & Tenths Gathering

I may make the journey to Oulton on Easter Monday. Can I park anywhere where the track is visible? What are the best viewing points? What time do gates open on Monday as I am happy to arrive early? Any help with this appreciated.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 14:36 (Ref:2152531)   #2
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I too should be going on the Saturday. I`m with Paddy in that I`ve not been before and would like to know about parking arrangements....

Looking at maps, and aerial views of Oulton it appears you park in the centre of the "square" (excuse my over-simplification of things - I mean the shape created by the club layout), or you use a completely different entrance gate to access trackside parking at the Knickerbrook/Brittens area.

*** checks map here..... http://www.motorsportvision.co.uk/im...cuit-large.pdf ***

Aha, it seems there is a Knickerbrook AND a Shaws entrance separate to the main one. And also external parking the other side of the startline.

Can any regulars give any insight as to whether there is an additional charge for parking "inside" the circuit, or using the Knickerbrook or Shaws entrances? Presumably the parking to the East of the startline area is free??

Also, are these entrances likely to be open Saturday, as well as Monday??
Old 15 Mar 2008, 14:51 (Ref:2152545)   #3
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think there's any additional charge regardless of where you park, there wasn't a couple of years ago anyway. Knickerbrook is quite good, but most places are accesible.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 16:17 (Ref:2152618)   #4
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to the F3/GT meeting for the last couple of years and parked at Knickerbrook. Although you're quite far back from the circuit, you can see large sections of the circuit from the car: Cascades, Knickerbrook and the climb up Clay Hill. It is always useful to be able to retreat to the car, as it's been freezing the last couple of years.

From Knickerbrook, you can walk down to Britten's chicane, but it's a fair hike to get to Lodge or Old Hall going through the infield. It's worth the journey though as the paddock is open and you can wander around the back of the pits. Viewing from the infield at Cascades is a good place to watch from.

Parking is free as far as I know, but it is quite a busy meeting being the first of the season, so don't arrive too late.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 16:52 (Ref:2152652)   #5
Elio
Veteran

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Is the footbridge at Clay Hill kept permanently open or it is possible that it could be locked?? Just wondering whether parking at Knickerbrook might cause problems accessing other areas if your only way to infield is via footbridge. My only experience is of Brands, where occasionally there can be issues with gates/bridges being padlocked on test/practice days. I was hoping to pop in to the second half of Fridays test, and then do Qually day Satuday, so it mightn`t be so busy with people as on the Monday.
Old 15 Mar 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2152656)   #6
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I should be going along on the Monday, weather permitting! I haven't been to Oulton Park in quite some years, but I normally go to watch at Cascades and the grandstand at Lodge Corner. Some great action at both corners!

I've not followed F3 in any depth, so I am a complete newbie to it. Who should I be keeping an eye on?
Old 15 Mar 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2152676)   #7
Elio
Veteran

Some testing times here.

http://www.tsl-timing.com/?loc=major...&eventid=81117

It appears to be an interesting mix of drivers
Old 15 Mar 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2152732)   #8
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
the grandstand at Lodge Corner.
It HAS been a long time, hasn't it!
Old 15 Mar 2008, 19:32 (Ref:2152769)   #9
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for that everyone.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 10:52 (Ref:2153440)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy
Can I park anywhere where the track is visible?
All the suggestions are so far correct, there's a nice point in the middle of 'square' where you can see a large amount of the circuit - but you won't have commentary.
However, I predict that central parking (on at least the Monday) will be controlled, and you'll be directed where to park. Therefore, you may not get to park somewhere you can watch from your car in the event of bad weather.
If you want to have this option, I'd recommend entering at Knickerbrook and parking on the outside. Most places for parking around there will have some view of the circuit; I'd recommend (if you can) keeping going around the track and parking around Hill Top - you can park pretty close to the track (tyre wall - wire fence - access road - your car) and will be able to see Cascades & Hill Top - and Knicker and Britten's are either side of you (you might need to stand forward to properly see them).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
Is the footbridge at Clay Hill kept permanently open or it is possible that it could be locked??
I've never known it to be closed - it's not like Brands as there is no other way to get across the track to/from Knicker, so it always has to be available.

As a note, to access the outside of the track from the Avenue to Lodge you'll have to use a designated crossing point between sessions, as there's no bridge. The crossing at Lodge will definitely be in use on both days, there is now a now one at the Avenue - I predict it'll be in use on Monday as the main day, as a guess it probably won't be on the Saturday (but we'll see!)
Old 16 Mar 2008, 11:08 (Ref:2153447)   #11
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
Thanks ASp. Will probably follow your instructions. I'm thinking of keeping the family comfortable in the case of poor weather. I'm made of sterner stuff! We've got a small campervan so can provide a few home comforts if reqiured.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:14 (Ref:2153509)   #12
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm going to struggle to get there next week so I was thinking of maybe going along on Friday for the test day. I've been to Silverstone for various testdays, F1 down to club level with no problems regarding circuit access so is Oulton much the same or should I not bother?
Old 16 Mar 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2153512)   #13
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JurekB
I'm going to struggle to get there next week so I was thinking of maybe going along on Friday for the test day. I've been to Silverstone for various testdays, F1 down to club level with no problems regarding circuit access so is Oulton much the same or should I not bother?
It's very unlikely to be a problem - the main gate of Warwick Bridge will almost certainly be open throughout the entire day. Obviously other gates will be closed though and there won't be a crossing at Lodge: so you may be limited to the infield.
If you are travelling some distance though, it's probably best to contact the circuit just to double check.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2153646)   #14
JurekB
Racer

Poland
Stoke on Trent
JurekB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers for that, I'm only half and hour away so it's no big deal if they turn me away.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 14:18 (Ref:2153678)   #15
Elio
Veteran

Thanks for all the replies - would never have thought there would be a pedestrian crossing point - especially with all todays health and safety rules! Looking at the map again though it makes complete sense.

Being a Brands diehard I can see quite a few similarities with Oulton. It seems to be a Brands GP circuit in reverse if you like. The centre club "square" equating to the GP Loop at Brands with most of the viewing occuring on the inside. I assume you can`t access the outside AT ALL between the Clay Hill footbridge right the way around to Lodge.

Seems a shame there isn`t the ability to progress past Brittens a bit more, towards the exit of the hairpin. The tightness of that corner, and it`s camber is something I remember standing out about Oulton when I used to watch it on TV as a kid about 20 years ago, but it seems that to ever see it close up you would have to drive the circuit, marshal or have a media pass.
Old 16 Mar 2008, 15:42 (Ref:2153786)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elio
I assume you can`t access the outside AT ALL between the Clay Hill footbridge right the way around to Lodge.
You assume rightly

Just wondering, as there's quite a few of us going to be there, is it worth having a classic 10 Tenths gathering on the Monday?
There's a planned 50minute lunch break from 11:58 (If that happens or not depends on the ability of the drivers to keep it on the back stuff), so about 12:15 might be a time most people can make it?
Old 17 Mar 2008, 03:13 (Ref:2154323)   #17
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm up for that!
Old 17 Mar 2008, 12:47 (Ref:2154636)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'll be there on the Monday. It would be cool to meet up with some real-life internet people.
Old 17 Mar 2008, 20:21 (Ref:2155033)   #19
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been to the F3/GT race the past couple of years, parked on the outside of the circuit on the run to Cascades. I've tried to Park at or near Knickerbrook but it's packed, almost got stuck in mud in 2006!! So i'll most likely be in my usual place Easter monday.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 01:07 (Ref:2155243)   #20
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstallard
I've not followed F3 in any depth, so I am a complete newbie to it. Who should I be keeping an eye on?
Atte Mustonen, the next Flying Finn! Otherwise the Red Bull youngsters, especially Brendon Hartley, the 2007 Autosport McLaren BRDC Driver of the year, Oliver Turvey, and, well, check the TSL-timing website to see how Friday testing goes.

It's a very international field, something like 17 or 18 countries are represented. Sergio Perez from Mexico deserves a special mention in the main class as being the only driver to have a Mugen-Honda engine.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:12 (Ref:2155639)   #21
MatthewC
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Wales
MatthewC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can only do the Saturday I'm afraid, so if we do have a Tenths gathering I might not be able to be there.

Matt.

Campaign to get Alfa Romeo back into the WTCC!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2155653)   #22
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'll be there all weekend. Working, but I'll see if I can fit it in.
Old 18 Mar 2008, 19:30 (Ref:2155870)   #23
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider

It's a very international field

But according to the MSA website, it's not an NEAFP event!
Old 18 Mar 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2155877)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'll be around and about on Monday, so I may put an apperence in.
Old 19 Mar 2008, 13:38 (Ref:2156477)   #25
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand
It HAS been a long time, hasn't it!
It's not there anymore? Wow...what a shame!

Thanks for the tips strider - I'm a fan of Finnish drivers, so it's good to know there's one to cheer on

I'm going with the old man (heading back home for Easter weekend you see) so I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it over but I'll try and make an appearance.

Really looking forward to it...it'll be the first "proper" motorsport (excluding Grand Prix Legends and RoC) I've seen in...well, since the grandstand at Lodge corner existed!