Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 20 Oct 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1129222)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
New qually for 2005?

New qually for next year to be voted on by teams this week,link is at.

www.itv-f1.com

Last edited by Marbot; 20 Oct 2004 at 10:00.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 10:12 (Ref:1129242)   #2
Gore
Racer

United Kingdom
London
Gore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strikes me as a mistake to not have the grid finalised until Sunday morning; I think the overnight anticipation of the race knowing the grid is important.

Although the Saturday runs in "proper" qualifying spec would be worth watching, it may well feel like Saturday is missing a climax.

Also, might there be F1 fatigue for the viewers, watching qualifying and race in the space of a few hours? If Bernie carries on shipping races out of Europe though, it may be useful in giving the largest audiences something to watch at traditional GP time...
Old 20 Oct 2004, 10:23 (Ref:1129260)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the pr value of getting "overnight" press with the grid finalised is important.

This new system would take that away.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 16:48 (Ref:1129676)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I would agree about the finalisation aspect. It would be interesting to see the session on the Sunday morning, but it is heading for something that cannot be easily put on ten second slot on the news and be instantly clear.

The whole aggregate idea has a degree of potential to cause that, but in general it is only the second session that will be seen and thus the confusion aspect is minimised to one session. It still has the potential, but hopefully that won't happen.

From a personal perspective, I have long been interested to see aggregate times used. I have never particularly pushed the idea forward, given the very real potnetial issues, but certainly seeing it in action would be interesting.

Fuel load aggregate times: it would be interesting to see the experimenting with the different fuel loads, until an equilibrium is found and everybody, more or less, adheres to it.

We'll see, it remains simple speculation about its existence at the moment clearly, but interesting in a way.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 16:50 (Ref:1129679)   #5
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Man, used the word interest, in its various forms, in that last post. I suspect a certain something that I might, or might not have, smoked could possibly, or possibly not, have had something to do with it.

Hrrrmmm...dare I say it is interesting.....?....

No, indeed not!

Sorry, I am so utterly rambling it is stupid.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 17:44 (Ref:1129743)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Read the last post with interest.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 20:34 (Ref:1129957)   #7
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm not really keen on this idea. Sunday morning isn't a good time for TV coverage - in Europe religious programmes fill that time spot, and they're unlikely to be keen to move. I love the feelign of going to bed Saturday ngiht knowing the grid, and getting up early every other Sunday isn't something I'd relish.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 20:52 (Ref:1129983)   #8
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Please explain; why cant we go back to the original blistering 1 hour blitz, where Minardis got in the way, and total panic ensued in the last 3 minutes.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 21:18 (Ref:1130010)   #9
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah 1 hour, 12 laps, 4 sets off tyres, 20 drivers. i don't see the problem, except maybe the first half hour when nobody goes out, but even then it's forgotten by the end of the session.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 21:20 (Ref:1130014)   #10
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Surely, its better than the **** we have now? At least we got excited(!) during the 30 mins??
Old 20 Oct 2004, 21:32 (Ref:1130024)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I always loved the wait myself.

A perfectly acceptable compromise would be all cars must make at least one run in the first 20 mins.

Then leave the rest of the time to them.

I'd be happy with that.
Old 20 Oct 2004, 22:03 (Ref:1130071)   #12
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
OK; thats decided then. Did anyone get my Qually point ideas in the other thread, or are we all asleep?