Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 Apr 2001, 16:51 (Ref:82382)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Despite being relegated to the back of the grid Benetton, Jenson Button won the Lorenzo Bandini Trophy reserved for best performing rookie in Formula 1. His eight place in the WDC and well run races last year for Williams GP secured the title for the young Brit driver.

Congrats!
Never forget #99
Old 19 Apr 2001, 18:55 (Ref:82426)   #2
Kenny W.
Racer

Kenny W. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wasn't he the only rookie in F1 last year??
Old 20 Apr 2001, 00:29 (Ref:82525)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well there was Mazzacane and Heidfeld, but they were driving milk floats.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 02:35 (Ref:82931)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
Well there was Mazzacane and Heidfeld, but they were driving milk floats.
Good point. But if you look at the roles of Hiedfeld and Button now you see that a good driver in a reasonable car will do quite well. BTW. Button had not even seen most of the circuits last year whilst Heidfield and Mazzacane had raced on most of the European tracks.

I think in view of that he did pretty well. Lets hope that Renault engine starts working so he can get back to the front where he should be.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 03:44 (Ref:82945)   #5
Raven
Veteran

England
I don't agree Pete, being a rookie is overrated, look how quick Raikonnen has got to grips with the circuits. Montoya too when he gets a decent run (Brazil).

Button qualified 18th at Imola last year, in a Williams. Raikonnen was 10th this year in a Sauber. I'm not buying into Sauber being a better position than Williams last year.

This year Button was 20th, behind a minardi, and I won't believe Minardi are in better shape than Benetton. Sorry, but if all things were equal in F1, I feel Button would be close to where he is now.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 05:30 (Ref:82957)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ditto. He's a good thirty goal a year man, but he's no Mario Lemieux.

Oops, wrong sport. This time of year it's soooo confusing!

But you get my drift.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 05:58 (Ref:82958)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
I don't agree Pete, being a rookie is overrated, look how quick Raikonnen has got to grips with the circuits. Montoya too when he gets a decent run (Brazil).

Button qualified 18th at Imola last year, in a Williams. Raikonnen was 10th this year in a Sauber. I'm not buying into Sauber being a better position than Williams last year.

This year Button was 20th, behind a minardi, and I won't believe Minardi are in better shape than Benetton. Sorry, but if all things were equal in F1, I feel Button would be close to where he is now.
Actually, I think Raikonnen is better than all of them but we were talking about Button last year. and I think he deserved his trophy. Heidfeld finished behind Minardis loads of times last year (although I'm certain that others will suggest differently). Mazzacane isn't even worth mentioning in this company.

I still think that because he's not South American or German, French or any nationality other than British, people don't think Button's any good. I think though that this year, whilst Fissichella (certainly over-rated), has at least got a point Button is doing the donkey-work of getting a poor car to the finish on a reasonably regular basis.

I don't class Monbtoya as a rookie in this regard either. He is after all a champion of a so-called international championship which is touted as the best single seater racing in the world. And as I've said elsewhere. Even if Montoya is that good, he still needs to finish a race.

Another point to consider. Button has actually beaten RS on a number of occasions in the same equipment. Haven't seen Montoya do that yet have we? Maybe in Spain?
Old 21 Apr 2001, 12:09 (Ref:83036)   #8
Raven
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Actually, I think Raikonnen is better than all of them but we were talking about Button last year. and I think he deserved his trophy. Heidfeld finished behind Minardis loads of times last year (although I'm certain that others will suggest differently). Mazzacane isn't even worth mentioning in this company.
Yeah, I agree that he probably did deserve the award. This year though we are seeing what Heidfeld is capable of doing in a car that doesn’t **** out after 1 mile. Prost was the worst car last year, statistically finishing behind the Minardis. Despite not fitting in well at Prost, NH was still ahead of the highly rated (on this forum ) seasoned campaigner, Alesi on a number of occasions. What would Nick have done in a Williams last year? Methinks a bit more than JB.

Quote:
whilst Fissichella (certainly over-rated), has at least got a point Button is doing the donkey-work of getting a poor car to the finish on a reasonably regular basis.
Why is GF overrated? He’s beaten every team mates he’s ever had and then some… Remember 97 at Jordan w/Ralf? Don’t say Button belongs at the front and then neglect someone who’s even faster. If Renault does move forward, it’ll certainly be Fisi who leads the charge.

Quote:
I still think that because he's not South American or German, French or any nationality other than British, people don't think Button's any good.
Don’t agree here either. It’s obviously because he IS British that we have all the fuss. 3rd on the grid, 8 tenths behind pole, WOW FUTURE WDC!! Within .5 of Ralf- wow future WDC. 6th place finish while team mate 3rd- wow future WDC. Getting a Benetton home while team mate scores points – wow future WDC!!! Sorry I don’t see it. Button has still got a lot to prove.

Last edited by Raven; 21 Apr 2001 at 12:11.
Old 21 Apr 2001, 21:08 (Ref:83225)   #9
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes he DOES have a lot to prove, but I think nowadays that I must be the only person who think JB's not bad. He's a very reasonable driver, reminds me of Damon Hill. Granted, I'm not sure if he's got the talent to be WDC, but then neither did Damon, let's be honest here......
Old 23 Apr 2001, 05:49 (Ref:83903)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Well,

I think we are either saying that Button is as good as Heidfeld or he's overrated. Personally I think he did well and this year Heidfeld's improved performance seems to corroborate that theory.

I have never rated GF that highly but I will grant you that at times he has shown good form. His supremecy over Wurz was (IMHO) due to a preference within the team rather than skill. I also think that Button's relative performance this year is also due to that problem. Benneton has not produced two competitive cars at the same time since the early Schumacher days.

As to the so-called media hype. Why should we respect Button less that Raikonnen who is getting the "treatment" this year. Or indeed that "hype" which surrounded Alesi all those years ago. (He was good then).