Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 29 May 2019, 18:19 (Ref:3906797)   #276
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
I'm not too thrilled by the lack of variety in LMP2 and LMP3 but there's no denying the classes are thriving. Full ELMS grids, over-subscribed LMP2 in WEC by all accounts, ALMS doing well, support LMP3 series healthy.

Privateer LMP1 also managed to deliver 6 cars (now 5) at very short notice and there may be more in 19-20. GT3 continues to boom. DPI has shown a cost-effective way for manufacturers to badge good-looking and good-sounding prototypes.

The only stuff struggling is where manufacturer, factory entries are sought, ie LMP1-H and GTE. By decoupling from FIA (and thus from the requirement to have factory teams and to run in places like Bahrain) the ACO can hopefully concentrate on a thriving privateer/customer scene. Their next brave step needs to be to open up to GT3, IMO.

I would personally be quite happy to watch a Le Mans consisting of privateer LMP1s, DPIs, customer LMP2s and a mix of factory-backed and customer GT3s. More variety, more sustainable, more interesting.
Old 29 May 2019, 19:11 (Ref:3906818)   #277
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I really enjoy the teams and drivers in LMP2. Just not the chassis.
Yes, 2017 was the only year I was half way interested in LMP2, because of what happened at Le Mans along with Rebellion being there. Rebellion vs Chan/Jota was pretty cool. But going back to the start of 2018, the class is an after thought in my head at least. Now the whole series is about to become that with Ford and BMW leaving a big hole in GTE.
Old 29 May 2019, 19:52 (Ref:3906830)   #278
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Toyota already has ran above 900kg (904), which is nearly 30kg heavier than their initial weight. It's also about 90kg heavier than the Rebellion and now ByKolles.
Old 29 May 2019, 20:01 (Ref:3906832)   #279
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yet that's done next to nothing to seriously bridge the gap between privateers and Toyota (the factory team). It's just as bad as when Audi where the only full factory team in the ALMS during their 14 race long winning streak from 2000-2001, let alone their dominance at Le Mans during the same period of time.

Yeah, when this is ancient history, some of us will look back fondly at what's happened. But I do think that there has to be some acceptance that Toyota were going to dominate when Audi and Porsche left. As good as the private teams may be, they don't have the cars, tech or resources that TMG have.

Even if you took the hybrid systems off the Toyotas, they'd still be out front by a pretty significant margin, just due to how developed the cars chassis, engine and aero are.
Old 29 May 2019, 21:56 (Ref:3906843)   #280
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well the new rules in 2021 need to bridge that gap. The difference with Audi dominating in ALMS is the series was still relatively new

The problem is not enough teams have the budget to beat Toyota. This era won’t be remembered as fondly as other eras. Not that you can blame Toyota

Actually getting rid of hybrids might help bridge that gap, then we’d see who had the best chassis/engine package, rather than best PU
Old 30 May 2019, 03:17 (Ref:3906871)   #281
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
I can now picture a headline in 2020: "Privateer wins Le Mans".

Then later in the article there is a passage saying that Toyota's minimum weight was 3000 kg.
Old 30 May 2019, 06:00 (Ref:3906880)   #282
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:

I’m the same. With the restriction on chassis entries and engine choice I miss the one off cars that raced in the 2000s. Those smaller efforts characterised the category back then. However the drivers and teams in LMP2 these days make up for that. There’s a good mix of experienced pros, younger drivers making their mark and various levels of talent in the gentlemen drivers rank. Thus there’s always something of interest for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Can't wait for ByKolles to be 150kg lighter than Toyota come round 7

Lol
Old 30 May 2019, 06:49 (Ref:3906884)   #283
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel LMP2 is too restricted. It was lot better when it was more open to competitors. The only saving grace is the drivers and teams in it as you say. It's a shame it has gone a bit downhill
Old 30 May 2019, 17:48 (Ref:3907013)   #284
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Jota Sport name returns, with Dragonspeed driver line up.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...ort-oreca.html

Also...
'DSC expects a further (and positive) announcement about the Jackie Chan DC Racing team for 2019/20.'

Obviously they will be running the Ginettas. *runs and hides*
Old 30 May 2019, 21:00 (Ref:3907053)   #285
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!gert is going for a new world record!
On Autosport
https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/1...-jota-for-1920

Quote:
Jota, which currently operates the two-car Jackie Chan DC Racing programme in the WEC, is expected to run a second ORECA again in 2019/20 and potentially with an all-Asian line-up.
Ho-Pin Tung lies second in the current LMP2 points alongside Gabriel Aubry and Stephane Richelmi in the squad's lead entry and he is likely to stay on board for the new campaign.
Should I read that as: Jota will probably run a second LMP2 alongside the Maldonado car, and most likely Ho-Pin (and 2 other Asians) will drive it.
Or in other words: 1 of the Jackie Chan DC Jota LMP2 cars will be gone?
Old 30 May 2019, 21:28 (Ref:3907063)   #286
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I'm the same, though I'm also like this for LMP1.
I'm not technically minded enough to care much about the cars. I can like the way they look/sound/corner like they're on rails, but it's the teams and drivers I really care about.

GTs however... that's where my love of the car blooms. I also care about the teams and drivers, but the I care about the car far more than in the prototypes classes!
Old 30 May 2019, 22:13 (Ref:3907065)   #287
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
'DSC expects a further (and positive) announcement about the Jackie Chan DC Racing team for 2019/20.'

Obviously they will be running the Ginettas. *runs and hides*
I said it time ago, JC have it all to run the Ginetta car/s. They won several races with P2 cars all around the world, they almost won Le Mans, they have money, but I think they want to beat Rebellion too after they have took his driver.

The only other team that could run those cars is United. Who knows, maybe they smell that the 2020/21 season with only privateers.
Old 31 May 2019, 14:49 (Ref:3907176)   #288
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
SC365 says no Multimatic entered Ford GTs in the WEC next season, though they and Ford will support anyone else who wishes to run them.
Old 1 Jun 2019, 17:16 (Ref:3907319)   #289
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
I thought that was already said? We knew it wasn't going to be a factory car or anyone associated with the factory running it. The hope is someone steps up to PRO with one, like Keating with his AM entry for LM jumping up a level.
Old 1 Jun 2019, 18:43 (Ref:3907364)   #290
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Some were probably hoping that Ganassi or Multimatic would run the cars themselves as privateers, but evidently, that won't happen.
Old 2 Jun 2019, 20:19 (Ref:3907578)   #291
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So the entry list for the 2019-20 season will be released during the ACO press conference on race week Friday.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:33 (Ref:3907863)   #292
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
So the entry list for the 2019-20 season will be released during the ACO press conference on race week Friday.
Likely entry list here:

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2019/0...0-fia-wec.html
Old 4 Jun 2019, 12:58 (Ref:3907870)   #293
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:

The big story is just 3 GTE makes for the entire class both pro and am. Porsche, Aston, and Ferrari. Not good at all.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 13:37 (Ref:3907884)   #294
Mike E
Veteran

Yes, could have done with someone running a Ford.

Who else might take the plunge in the near future? Lambo? McLaren? Or will it just end up switching to GT3 with some sort of ACO-specific BoP or modifications to save face?

Going back to the failed GTE/GT3 unification talks, and the lunacy of building cars to both specs, Ferrari and Aston side-stepped the problem by building cars that can be converted from one to the other. Not an option for Porsche right now but maybe there is a way forward here.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 14:27 (Ref:3907891)   #295
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, could have done with someone running a Ford.

Who else might take the plunge in the near future? Lambo? McLaren? Or will it just end up switching to GT3 with some sort of ACO-specific BoP or modifications to save face?

Going back to the failed GTE/GT3 unification talks, and the lunacy of building cars to both specs, Ferrari and Aston side-stepped the problem by building cars that can be converted from one to the other. Not an option for Porsche right now but maybe there is a way forward here.
Good point why has Porsche never done this? Seems to make sense. Not even the new 911 RSR debuting later this year supposedly this is the case. In some ways I think Porsche is a major guilty party (along with GM/Chevy) from preventing a merger from happening.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 14:54 (Ref:3907899)   #296
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
The 911 is viable as a GT3 car in much closer to production form than as a GTE car, the economics don't make sense.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 15:07 (Ref:3907902)   #297
Mike E
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Good point why has Porsche never done this? Seems to make sense. Not even the new 911 RSR debuting later this year supposedly this is the case. In some ways I think Porsche is a major guilty party (along with GM/Chevy) from preventing a merger from happening.
They can't do it because the GTE is mid-engined. And it's mid-engined to take advantage of the GTE regulations around the permitted size of the rear diffuser. Maybe a mid-engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 718 would be a better idea...

Also, if you are fully committed to GTE, the regulations are a barrier to entry to other manufacturers, which keeps the field thin and increases the chances of you winning.

Furthermore... If the ACO were to move to GT3, they would have to manage a flood of applications, which they don't have space for, and some weird politics with SRO. Anyway, wrong thread...

Last edited by Mike E; 4 Jun 2019 at 15:13.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 15:53 (Ref:3907912)   #298
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
They can't do it because the GTE is mid-engined. And it's mid-engined to take advantage of the GTE regulations around the permitted size of the rear diffuser. Maybe a mid-engined, 6 cylinder, turbocharged 718 would be a better idea...

Also, if you are fully committed to GTE, the regulations are a barrier to entry to other manufacturers, which keeps the field thin and increases the chances of you winning.

Furthermore... If the ACO were to move to GT3, they would have to manage a flood of applications, which they don't have space for, and some weird politics with SRO. Anyway, wrong thread...
Ah no it is relevant for sure. Porsche has just 4 cars to beat at Silverstone technically. I guess they liked they way things were arranged back in LMP1. They want the GTE Pro numbers to reflect it too. Just kidding..of course they had nothing to do with BMW and Ford leaving.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 18:56 (Ref:3907935)   #299
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Keating's restriction on running the GT in WEC was the cost. It sounded like he could have swung the deal if he only ran WEC but it was very late in the entry window that he even bought the GT. Apparently it is his chassis though so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in a few events pre LM, possibly just Sebring next season

Last edited by broadrun96; 4 Jun 2019 at 19:03.
Old 4 Jun 2019, 19:15 (Ref:3907939)   #300
Anyopenroad
Veteran

England
London
Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!Anyopenroad has a real shot at the championship!
If WEC/ACO/FIA aren't careful then the IGTC will take over as the de-facto GT makes championship. As ever, Ratel seems to have seen very clearly which way the wind is blowing.

Factory-backed teams from as many as ten manufacturers running a worldwide series covering Bathurst, Laguna Seca, Spa, Suzuka and Kyalami looks a lot more like a GT world championship than WEC does at the moment.