Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > WTCC & European Touring Car Series

Old 10 Aug 2020, 21:59 (Ref:3994638)   #241
3marinadrive
Rookie

3marinadrive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
I recollect a #HARD car with a puncture too; could it simply have bern a case of "pushing the envelope" in terms of setup vs. what the manufacturer recommended setup wise? Or maybe Butcher, Hill, OJ etc. all managed to find a rough bit of kerb that everybody else missed? It it were endemic in the design or a result of temperature I would have expected more. Or simply the odd few weaker tyres - Friday afternoon jobs! - luck of the draw with Motorbase having just walked under a ladder!
Hill's puncture in race three was due to his old mate Matt Neal hitting him at Graham Hill bend.....
Old 11 Aug 2020, 07:47 (Ref:3994682)   #242
Evantra
Veteran

England
Evantra should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridEvantra should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post
Sutton, Cammish..they are his real favourites. He has managed Cammish in the past and got him the Nationwide sponsorship in Porsche so no surprise. Notice how he has his favourites and some he just ignores.
Every other word he says is Cammish!
Old 11 Aug 2020, 11:10 (Ref:3994732)   #243
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3marinadrive View Post
Hill's puncture in race three was due to his old mate Matt Neal hitting him at Graham Hill bend.....
Matt Neale hitting something? It's about time he hit the pace car, get it ticked off the bucket list before his son takes over the ride next year.

(That's me speculating, I know nothing!)
Old 11 Aug 2020, 11:28 (Ref:3994735)   #244
crmalcolm
Veteran

Ireland
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I recollect a #HARD car with a puncture too; could it simply have bern a case of "pushing the envelope" in terms of setup vs. what the manufacturer recommended setup wise? Or maybe Butcher, Hill, OJ etc. all managed to find a rough bit of kerb that everybody else missed? It it were endemic in the design or a result of temperature I would have expected more. Or simply the odd few weaker tyres - Friday afternoon jobs! - luck of the draw with Motorbase having just walked under a ladder!
Was the HARD car Ollie Brown in R2? Looking at the results, that seems to be the only time they weren't on the lead lap, aside from Goff's incident.

Hill's was a result of an incident, rather than a failure.

Which suggests that Motorbase were the team pushing the envelope too far?

Stephen Jelley - "Some cars have to gamble a bit [...] Motorbase are learning that car"
Four tyre failures on the same corner of the Focus would seem to indicate that the setup was a contributing factor?
Old 11 Aug 2020, 12:56 (Ref:3994761)   #245
Pickles
Racer

Pickles should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Was the HARD car Ollie Brown in R2? Looking at the results, that seems to be the only time they weren't on the lead lap, aside from Goff's incident.

Hill's was a result of an incident, rather than a failure.

Which suggests that Motorbase were the team pushing the envelope too far?

Stephen Jelley - "Some cars have to gamble a bit [...] Motorbase are learning that car"
Four tyre failures on the same corner of the Focus would seem to indicate that the setup was a contributing factor?
Brown's puncture was on the left rear hence why he spun at the bottom of Paddock Hill, I think everyone else's were on the front
Old 11 Aug 2020, 13:25 (Ref:3994764)   #246
CarfanLUFC
Racer

Zimbabwe
A Yorkshire Farm
CarfanLUFC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well don't know about anyone else but I just really enjoyed the racing....
Old 11 Aug 2020, 18:34 (Ref:3994819)   #247
Alfisti
Veteran

England
North Yorkshire, England
Alfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlfisti should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Brown's puncture was on the left rear hence why he spun at the bottom of Paddock Hill, I think everyone else's were on the front
Thanks, my memory isn't the best. So it was Mr Brown at the rear - so maybe that was the result of his car and that of AN Other getting a little too intimate. Matt Bump Neale started at the back, so had an opportunity to rub the VW....

So the front "fails"(Jake being Matted isn't a fail) were all Motorbase - which suggests they pushed too far. Andy Neate was that little bit slower, so maybe the tyres on his car weren't worked quite so hard.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 20:37 (Ref:3994840)   #248
Pickles
Racer

Quote:
Thanks, my memory isn't the best. So it was Mr Brown at the rear - so maybe that was the result of his car and that of AN Other getting a little too intimate. Matt Bump Neale started at the back, so had an opportunity to rub the VW....

So the front "fails"(Jake being Matted isn't a fail) were all Motorbase - which suggests they pushed too far. Andy Neate was that little bit slower, so maybe the tyres on his car weren't worked quite so hard.
After quali when Butcher's car was being weighed etc Harvey made a comment about how much camber the Motorbase cars were running compared to others...
Old 11 Aug 2020, 20:39 (Ref:3994841)   #249
Pickles
Racer

Also in no way pointing fingers but you'd assume it was contact that caused Brown's puncture, very rare to see wear related tyre failures on the back
Old 11 Aug 2020, 22:05 (Ref:3994850)   #250
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its funny becuase I said to my wife that I thought the FWD cars might suffer with tyre wear due to the heat. Surprisingly, it wasn't as bad as I feared, unlike at Thruxton a few years back when they had to shorten the race distance due to tyre issues.
Old 11 Aug 2020, 23:08 (Ref:3994856)   #251
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
After quali when Butcher's car was being weighed etc Harvey made a comment about how much camber the Motorbase cars were running compared to others...
makes sense, it's the clio cup at thruxton problem then. although i think the f1 "tyres are bad" brigade would come running in here and say it's goodyear's fault for not telling them to run less camber...
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:01 (Ref:3994886)   #252
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Neate wasn't carrying ballast. The failures seemed to coincide with heavier ballast. After Rory's R1 puncture it was reported that Goodyear/Motorbase were examining the tyre, later in the day Motorbase announced they felt it was due to a stone or other debris. Ollie has a completely different driving style to Rory and requires the car to be set up differently, so would two different set ups result in punctures?
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:10 (Ref:3994887)   #253
RS67
Veteran

RS67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I could have sworn he said it wasn't running as much camber like he expected. I was watching on my phone, so only a tiny screen, but I couldn't see much camber.
Old 12 Aug 2020, 07:15 (Ref:3994889)   #254
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
I could have sworn he said it wasn't running as much camber like he expected. I was watching on my phone, so only a tiny screen, but I couldn't see much camber.
I was watching on a slightly bigger (laptop) screen, but thought it was a silly comment for Tim to make. The view of the car was from above and he said (something like) "look at the camber on the rear of the Motorbase Focus, see how much of a gap there is between the outside of the tyre and the ground". From the camera view, you just could not see that!
Old 12 Aug 2020, 08:34 (Ref:3994899)   #255
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS67 View Post
Neate wasn't carrying ballast. The failures seemed to coincide with heavier ballast. After Rory's R1 puncture it was reported that Goodyear/Motorbase were examining the tyre, later in the day Motorbase announced they felt it was due to a stone or other debris. Ollie has a completely different driving style to Rory and requires the car to be set up differently, so would two different set ups result in punctures?
very rare to get that many debris punctures in a single weekend, especially in one series, in one team.

and it’d be equally as rare for a team to admit in public it’s because they’ve had to do something relatively extreme with setup. remember that changing a tiny suspension component will change wear patterns on the tyre.