Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Jan 2024, 07:40 (Ref:4194344)   #51
Jack65
Racer

Jack65 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by one five five View Post
It is to do with Supercars by association and if they didn’t want something being outed it wouldn’t be, by their aligned media at least anyway.
Fortunately in this country we have a free press. Being an accredited Supercars media organisation, does not prevent an agency reporting news that head office may prefer it didn't. I doubt the brass at Supercars are particularly thrilled by some of Roland Dane's columns that appear on Speedcafe that question some of their actions.

While no organisation likes negative news, if in a position to control the narrative, Supercars would have announced the problem and the solution at the same time rather than it drag out over 24 hours as happened.

Reading between the lines of Shane Howard's quote "We understand the gravity of Brodie's decision and the challenges he may be facing at this time", perhaps the reason is medical. Probably best not to speculate as to what.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 08:17 (Ref:4194346)   #52
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65 View Post
Fortunately in this country we have a free press. Being an accredited Supercars media organisation, does not prevent an agency reporting news that head office may prefer it didn't. I doubt the brass at Supercars are particularly thrilled by some of Roland Dane's columns that appear on Speedcafe that question some of their actions
And yet speedcafe, and particularly their new editor, seem to be a significant part of the Supercars aligned media

The editor certainly seems to be fan first, journo second
Old 31 Jan 2024, 09:16 (Ref:4194355)   #53
BobJones
Veteran

BobJones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And yet speedcafe, and particularly their new editor, seem to be a significant part of the Supercars aligned media

The editor certainly seems to be fan first, journo second
The editor has done more to bring to light the dramas of Gen3, the driver market etc than anyone else online. Hats off to them.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 09:18 (Ref:4194356)   #54
BobJones
Veteran

Not fake news, AVL got the scoop - now we wait (could be a looooong time) to find out what really happened, if ever.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 09:19 (Ref:4194357)   #55
BobJones
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan52 View Post
There isn’t a sport in Australia that has such a weak and cowering media as motor racing.
Utter nonsense. Australia should be proud of such a vibrant debate surrounding its premier series and a lot of that is started by journo-secured info.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 09:29 (Ref:4194360)   #56
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with you Bob, AVL has proven to be an incredible journalist who’s stuck his neck out many times. Speedcafe is all the better for having him.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 09:42 (Ref:4194361)   #57
Jack65
Racer

Quote:
What is this 'Supercars aligned media', outlets that only portray Supercars in a good light?
Old 31 Jan 2024, 10:03 (Ref:4194363)   #58
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So… are there any less people working at CCRBE today than yesterday?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Jan 2024, 10:15 (Ref:4194365)   #59
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A vibrant debate where no one has the facts?
Old 31 Jan 2024, 10:20 (Ref:4194366)   #60
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobJones View Post
Not fake news, AVL got the scoop - now we wait (could be a looooong time) to find out what really happened, if ever.
There are a few repeated versions of events that may or may not have transpired as the story is related.

Mr Clarke from AA has requested that everyone stop speculating without the facts, which is interesting to do on a social media post.

Just one question.. if a person owns a part or all of a REC/Licence thingumy… how might you be able to exit them from an organisation they may work for yet for all intents & purposes do not own…
Old 31 Jan 2024, 18:56 (Ref:4194431)   #61
Captain
Rookie

Captain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post

Just one question.. if a person owns a part or all of a REC/Licence thingumy… how might you be able to exit them from an organisation they may work for yet for all intents & purposes do not own…
F1 teams have found away to do something at least similar. Not that long ago Williams parted ways with a part owner that was responsible for designing a very uncompetitive car.
Old 31 Jan 2024, 21:25 (Ref:4194464)   #62
GreenMachine
Racer

Australia
Canberra
GreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGreenMachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain View Post
F1 teams have found away to do something at least similar. Not that long ago Williams parted ways with a part owner that was responsible for designing a very uncompetitive car.
'Separation' payment. As we don't know what was in the agreement the 'ex-part-owner' signed to acquire those shares, there may have been no requirement for an additional payment beyond their value, and it may also have given the owners (team) power to compulsorily acquire them in certain circumstances.

Otherwise a negotiated agreement starting with 'how much do you want for us to acquire your shares and terminate your contract?'
Old 31 Jan 2024, 23:44 (Ref:4194484)   #63
mite5255
Racer

Australia
Caboolture Queensland
mite5255 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From Shane on Face book.

"What a sad situation to read about in Australia right now with Brodie Kostecki. I went through a similar situation 10 or so years ago - Not being able to say much, plus the team and media setting the narrative out of your control is not fun. Full support here and hope that it works out the correct way, with Brodie enjoying driving race cars in 2024.
SVG"
Old 31 Jan 2024, 23:52 (Ref:4194485)   #64
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Old 1 Feb 2024, 00:26 (Ref:4194487)   #65
Compromised
Veteran

Compromised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really poor form by all involved.

Even if Brodie has serious health/ personal issues, the absolute worse thing you can do is make broad, vague statements. All it does is fuel rampant speculation.

It will all come out anyway, so what's the difference?

You've got everyone, even the head honcho making statements that say nothing, so why make the statement?
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:29 (Ref:4194493)   #66
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compromised View Post
Really poor form by all involved.

Even if Brodie has serious health/ personal issues, the absolute worse thing you can do is make broad, vague statements. All it does is fuel rampant speculation.

It will all come out anyway, so what's the difference?

You've got everyone, even the head honcho making statements that say nothing, so why make the statement?

They way he worded that, its sounds like he wants out of his contract

Last edited by TWRv12; 1 Feb 2024 at 01:37.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:30 (Ref:4194494)   #67
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
padderton on insta

Quote:
Open Letter to the Fans, Supercars and the Media,
There are many rumors out there that the reason behind
Brodie not driving for Erebus is due to an offer made by me to
drive in Nascar with our MobileX brand and him wanting out of
his contract. This is nothing more than a rumor made up by
some self-interested group trying to deflect the real issues for
the record We have no deal and have never asked Brodie to
break any contract nor has Brodie asked us to.
First, the notion that we want him in the US flies in the face of
reality. Brodie is a Boost Mobile supported Ambassador. He is
paid and contracted by Boost Australia. Of course, we want to
see him race in Australia,and any other suggestion is made up
and is trying to distract people from focusing on the core issue.
Would we like to see an Australian driver in Nascar? Yes.
Would we like to support other Australian drivers going
overseas to show the world what Australian drivers are all
about. Yes. In fact, we all should want that, but we discussed a
few races in Nascar for Brodie in 2024, and was this was not
going to conflict with Supercar races.
Now to Supercars and Erebus who put out that release
yesterday. I will not go into why Brodie will not race in 2024
with Erebus. That is his personal decision and I am sure when
he is ready, to explain why he will, but the release yesterday did
nothing than show me how Supercars and Erebus are Eooking
out for their own self interests ahead of a young driver. They
know full well what is taking place and this statement by the
Supercars CEO was so disappointing to me and not helpful.
We are all human beings,and we should always put the health
and well-being of each other above any commercial interests.
We should respect the privacy of young athletes. To play the
mental health card as Supercars did without first hearing from
the driver is wrong on so many levels.
I have been critical of teams and Supercars just wanting to
hopefully drive a better sport for all of us who love the
sport, but this latest attempt by Supercars and Erebus to try to
distract fans and media is a new low point.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:32 (Ref:4194495)   #68
TWRv12
Veteran

Quote:
Adderton cools Kostecki NASCAR rumours

Peter Adderton has moved to cool rumours that he is pushing Brodie Kostecki to leave Supercars and race NASCAR this season.
https://speedcafe.com/adderton-cools...ascar-rumours/

Quote:
'Wrong on so many levels': Supercars, Erebus smashed for 'looking out for their own self-interests'
https://wwos.nine.com.au/motorsport/...8-aad892e88c38

Last edited by TWRv12; 1 Feb 2024 at 01:37.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:32 (Ref:4194497)   #69
one five five
Veteran

one five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridone five five should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The editor has done more to bring to light the dramas of Gen3, the driver market etc than anyone else online. Hats off to them.
Has he? Or just reported on the obvious problems more often?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sultan
AVL has proven to be an incredible journalist who’s stuck his neck out many times. Speedcafe is all the better for having him.
He’s stated before he’s a Supercars fan and recently claimed on a podcast to like being friends with everyone. Not quite the makings of someone who is putting the loyalty of the reader ahead of the loyalty to his mates in the paddock.

That goes for a number of the current Supercars media. They prefer hanging out at race tracks with their Supercars mates every few weeks and don’t want to rock the boat rather than give us proper journalism

Where is the hard hitting journalism in Australian Motorsport we got in the 70s, 80s and 90s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack65
What is this 'Supercars aligned media', outlets that only portray Supercars in a good light.
Those that have a relationship with the category. One for instance has partners that are also sponsors involved in the championship & team sponsors. Another cops an earn from services they provide to Supercars.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 01:37 (Ref:4194499)   #70
one five five
Veteran

Quote:
Utter nonsense. Australia should be proud of such a vibrant debate surrounding its premier series and a lot of that is started by journo-secured info.
Where has the vibrant debate been???

Most of the other news outlets left the story alone and then have just rehashed the Erebus press release…..
Old 1 Feb 2024, 02:24 (Ref:4194503)   #71
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the key line in Addertons statement: "I will not go into why Brodie will not race in 2024 with Erebus. " sounds like a lot longer than 1 race.

Also for a series champion, theres not a lot showing on his FB page RE Erebus.... put a fork in that relationship.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 02:30 (Ref:4194504)   #72
HDTVKSS
Veteran

HDTVKSS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the thing is, everyone loves a scandal. whilst not likeley a nice time for Kostecki or Erebus to be in the public eye like this, it certainly catches peoples attention.

My interest in the series has declined in the post Holden era, but this has caught my attention and there are probably others in a similar situation.

Rather than refuting things, its probably actually in the series best interest to turn into the skid and run with it. Similar shenanigans happen in football all the time and they are no worse off for it.

yeah its all a bit tabloid, but its a hell of a lot more interesting to the general public than the minuate of aero changes and engine balancing.

Drive to survive showed that beyond the racing, there is a general public interest for these types of stories in a series ( yeah i know, I roll my eyes at how manufactured it is as well - but it sells) and they shouldnt be whitewashed for the fear of somehow bringing the sport into disrepute...
Old 1 Feb 2024, 03:37 (Ref:4194508)   #73
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Definitely not nonsense.
Can you imagine if Nathan Cleary had decided 2 weeks before Round 1 of the NRL that he wasn’t going to play for Penrith despite him having a contract with the club?
By now proper journalists would have made the facts public.That is what journalists do.
PR hacks would have ignored it or obfuscated about it.That is what motor sport media in Australia have done.
Compare this with a lot of the opinion pieces written and broadcast today about Andretti F1 and tell me about how bought and sold the motor racing media in Australia are.Splinters in their backsides from a lifetime of fence sitting.
Old 1 Feb 2024, 04:15 (Ref:4194509)   #74
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....

The AA approach is definitely different..
They were very happy to write about Mr Edwards’ departure, the migration of the Tickford squad from 4 cars to 2, which impacted the 25 or so employees who were invited to seek employment elsewhere.

Biggest news story of the year and the play Ossie Ostrich.

One interesting piece though, the podcast this week claims that V8Supercar informed the major news outlets what was actually going on, and it is their assertion that Speedcafe are the only one to run with it.. and if you notice in the other articles, they specifically reference Speed are as the source, rather than the private conversations with V8Supercar.

Something seems odd here…
Old 1 Feb 2024, 04:33 (Ref:4194510)   #75
Jack65
Racer

Quote:
He’s stated before he’s a Supercars fan
Being a fan does not mean somebody cannot be a good journalist.
Quote:
...recently claimed on a podcast to like being friends with everyone.
Most of us prefer to be on goods terms with everybody, but any journalist is going to get people off side when writing stories involving them that some would prefer weren't written. I imagine Van Leeuwen is not flavour of the month with Barry Ryan at the moment.
Quote:
They prefer hanging out at race tracks with their Supercars mates every few weeks and don’t want to rock the boat rather than give us proper journalism
The Kostecki story this week blows that theory out of the water. Speedcafe ran a story that forced Erebus into having to issue a partial denial. Whether the story was 100% accurate time will tell and when the dust settles, the journalist will either be either applauded or slaughtered.
Quote:
Where is the hard hitting journalism in Australian Motorsport we got in the 70s, 80s and 90s?
What do you want, media outlets just to make up stuff to create conflict? Leave that to the National Enquirer or Women's Weekly.
Quote:
Those that have a relationship with the category.
Yes Auto Action, Speedcafe, V8 Sleuth etc have media accreditation, and in some cases commercial relationships, but that doesn't mean they always just drink the kool-aid and only report what Supercars sees fit.
Quote:
One for instance has partners that are also sponsors involved in the championship & team sponsors.
So potentially they may turn a blind eye if something unfavourable involves a team that they share a common relationship with, but that is the way of the world, they are unlikely to crap in their own nest.
Quote:
Another cops an earn from services they provide to Supercars.
Presumably being in reference to V8 Sleuth publishing event programmes. Doesn't that comprise its editorial integrity?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
The AA approach is definitely different. They were very happy to write about Mr Edwards’ departure, the migration of the Tickford squad from 4 cars to 2, which impacted the 25 or so employees who were invited to seek employment elsewhere. Biggest news story of the year and the play Ossie Ostrich.
Presumably AA felt confident enough that they could make those stories stand up. If one organisation publishes a scoop, the others usually remain quiet until there is something official to report on.